Is it possible to bypass the preamp?

gwpt

Hi,
I would like to use an external preamp in the effect loop, thus bypassing the internal preamp but still use the internal poweramp sim.
Is this possible?
If not, anyone one know if it is something that might be possible one day?
Thanks

?

Just don´t put one in the grid. Or do you mean just poweramp sim? That´s not possible.

I think the OP wanted the option of Marshall, Mesa, Fender etc poweramp flavours.

The tube preamp will not give him anything but a neutral poweramp.

Is it possible to choose which 'poweramp' Say to use the poweramp of a mesa or of a marshall etc

No, but you can select tube types, and match the advanced parameters to get closer.

If we can't have a preamp bypass (which has been requested for years). Perhaps we could have a few neutral preamps with with the most common poweramp types added to the amp block?

I think the OP wanted the option of Marshall, Mesa, Fender etc poweramp flavours.

The tube preamp will not give him anything but a neutral poweramp.

The original op seems to be inquiring of the possibility to use his preamps.

which case the answer is yes.

Maybe, since it is possible to change tonestack, there could be a neutral, tonestack among the selections. Then you could choose any possible favourite amp and change the tonestack to the neutral one and have your favourite power amp!!?!!?

Maybe, since it is possible to change tonestack, there could be a neutral, tonestack among the selections. Then you could choose any possible favourite amp and change the tonestack to the neutral one and have your favourite power amp!!?!!?

there all ready is - set tone stack to Active
That is only one aspect of the preamp though.

What would constitute a neutral tonestack? Even so.......the preamp is still not bypassed. A "preamp bypass" feature is the ticket.

Also, what would constitute a neutral preamp? ....a solid state maybe? :shock......Ha! Ha!....then we would have gone full circle and now having Cliff mimic transistor amps! (not withstanding the JC120).
Then again....I don't think solid state amps are neutral?!!

What would constitute a neutral tonestack? Even so.......the preamp is still not bypassed. A "preamp bypass" feature is the ticket.

Also, what would constitute a neutral preamp? ....a solid state maybe? :shock......Ha! Ha!....then we would have gone full circle and now having Cliff mimic transistor amps! (not withstanding the JC120).
Then again....I don't think solid state amps are neutral?!!

Flat frequency response. Active is flat when set at 12:00 for bass, mid, treb. You can have a neutral tube preamp.

Flat frequency response. Active is flat when set at 12:00 for bass, mid, treb. You can have a neutral tube preamp.

.....which is an option we do have in the Axe.

However, then changing the tone stack to active in any of the amps should effectively then render the preamp neutral ...allowing effective use of the amps power section and character. Yes?

.....which is an option we do have in the Axe.

However, then changing the tone stack to active in any of the amps should effectively then render the preamp neutral ...allowing effective use of the amps power section and character. Yes?

No, just the tone controls. Preamp bias, gain stages, etc can changes things.

Perhaps we could have a few neutral preamps with with the most common poweramp types added to the amp block?
good idea. would be cool to have some "non-neutral", vintage classics as well. would be a good tool for studio work when using mics, synths etc...

No, just the tone controls. Preamp bias, gain stages, etc can changes things.

Then we're back to "bypassing the preamp wish" ....somewhat.

Mixing preamps and power amps = WOW....another rabbit hole

This sparks a new thread on the Triaxis.....

edit:
Decided against the new thread....there's already substantial postings on what power amp Cliff used for the Triaxis power section. Would've been great if the 2:ninety power amp and it's 3 modes were an option! The new Triaxis pre sounds great however.

Last edited:
The "Vintage" tone stack is flat. The Tube Pre model uses the Vintage tone stack.

This implies that the amp voicing options are "active"?

In any case, the op can use his outboard preamp in the axe fx loop with the Tube Pre option.
worked great with my Egnater M4!

Eventually sold the Egnater M4 as I eventually saw the light that the Axe can do and exceed anything my M4 offered!

AND WITOUT THE ADDED BURDENSOME WEIGHT!!

Back
Top Bottom