IRs that give you that thump in your chest

Try the Fractal Mad Oak Basketweave R121 available on Axe-Change. It's my all time favorite for Marshalls.

Going to check that one out and some others.

I feel like my monitors could get me at least a hint of that feeling with the correct IR.

Frequency response ADAM A7X

Linear frequency response of 42Hz–50kHz. Maximum peak sound pressure per pair at 1m ≥ 114dB.

Going to check that one out and some others.

I feel like my monitors could get me at least a hint of that feeling with the correct IR.

Frequency response ADAM A7X

Linear frequency response of 42Hz–50kHz. Maximum peak sound pressure per pair at 1m ≥ 114dB.
That should be plenty to shake your bits.

The true test is to turn it up and see. Confirm your speaker positioning of course, because you don’t want the room or poorly positioned speakers to mislead you, but turn it up. It’s surprising how much punch those small speakers can have.

I have found what works for me and sounds glorious.
suhr riot sim (3/4 gain and 3/4 tone) into CAE clean (everything on 12, bright switch on)
suhr riot this one:

SUHR RIOT LED/SI (M) (Suhr Riot)​

pre eq before distortion sim with high pass at 140
delay (2290) and a bit of hall reverb parallel
into this cab.
the 121b and 57b mic and positions panned,

although the 121B the one monitor, sitting right in front of it
(front ported) feels incredibly great!!!

these irs are outstanding.

Based on a 1965 Marshall straight cab with pre-Rola greenbacks. Cab Pack 6 - Cabs in the Attic

781 — 4x12 Pre-Rola GB 57 B — FAS
786 — 4x12 Pre-Rola GB 121 B — FAS

Just to say it, I associate thump in your chest with live PA rigs. If you're looking to get your studio setup to do that, make sure you're roughly in the ballpark of well recorded commercial tracks.

Just to say it, I associate thump in your chest with live PA rigs.
While we’re on it, it’s good to remember that the thump in your chest typically happens when you’re playing rhythm guitar. In a live situation, that often means that the bass — and often the kick — are hitting right along with you, and that’s where the thump is coming from.

This is the bane of many guitarists in their tone search, particularly with metal and hard rock tones. “Why can’t my Fractal make this heavy tone from the latest Putrid Granny Flesh album?” It’s because the bass and the kick are hitting in lockstep with the guitar. That kind of treatment would make a ukulele sound like it’s thumping your chest.

Last edited:
Small nearfield monitors just aren’t going to thump regardless of the IR

Higher power 12” FRFR like a CLR, Friedman ASM et al, or really any good powered PA speaker with larger driver, few hundred watts power is going to thump. Need to move air and to move air you need larger drivers and a lot of power. A 4x12 cabinet sounds way different than a 1x8 combo amp after all.

Just to say it, I associate thump in your chest with live PA rigs. If you're looking to get your studio setup to do that, make sure you're roughly in the ballpark of well recorded commercial tracks.
Well recorded modern commercial guitar tracks will have almost zero guitar thump. That will all be filtered out so the thump can come from the bass and bass drum.

Thump was probably too big a word, I guess I meant that you feel in your chest/gut, which I believe you can get at reasonable volumes.

Thump was probably too big a word, I guess I meant that you feel in your chest/gut, which I believe you can get at reasonable volumes.
You can hear thump at moderate levels. But if you feel it in your chest or your gut, it's very loud.

Back
Top Bottom