IRs ARE Everything.. but don't forget about the pick!!

JJunkie

Power User
Hey guys, Just thought I'd share some quick advice.. If you want to generally brighten / darken your tone, try changing your pick.

Thinner pick > brighter tone

Thicker pick > darker tone

Its simple, it has a substantial impact on all types of guitar tones, and it might save you an hour or two (depending on who you are) in tweaking.

By all means ! I use different thicknesses and materials to get different tones from the same patch quite often!

Even Lonely Planet made a song about my favorite pick:

I always keep a spare Jizz III in my pants in case I need to perform.

I tend to favor Stringdog Black Snappers. I've got 100 of the assorted Heavy and Mediums.

Jazz IIIs are great too. They give a bit more of a mellow sound so I use them for jazz.

Hey guys, Just thought I'd share some quick advice.. If you want to generally brighten / darken your tone, try changing your pick.

Thinner pick > brighter tone

Thicker pick > darker tone

Its simple, it has a substantial impact on all types of guitar tones, and it might save you an hour or two (depending on who you are) in tweaking.

Wow - a thread about picks! The material has a lot to do with the tonal voice - plastic, nylon, metal, felt (e.g., for bass pickers), even the the flesh of the fingers and or fingernails (flesh/nails alone or flesh-and-pick by choking up on the pick so that the tips of the pick & thumb or pick & index finger strike the string, even with alternating picking), etc.

Alternating picking materials is fun - utilizing different materials yields additional voices. Sometimes I'll use quarters and dimes if I am in a nasty mood (never nickels or pennies though - plainly - that would just be wrong ;) ).

The Jazz IIIs are great. But, I have recently fallen for the Dunlop Delrin 96 picks:

Dunlop Manufacturing :: Guitar Picks :: :: Delrin

Those of you who attended Dweezilla 2013 at the Blue Moon Resort - who picked up some of Lagunitas Brewing Company's complimentary promotional picks - will be familiar with Dunlop Delrin 96 picks.

They are dense with a shiny smooth surface and do not flex very easily. The combination of these properties results in an extremely fast picking experience as your strings seem to slip right off the pick, which is great when you are looking for a quick response from the strings. Great tonal balance when using a pick and the middle, ring and pinkie fingers and fingernails as well.

Reactions: sam
Jizz III is the best. Everything else is not. With the max grip. Otherwise you will drop your pick every time.

The red one. The black is for some reason thicker. It's all I've been able to stick with for......years..... Everything else I've tried has too much bite, scrape, or clack. I don't generally drop mine.....only when it's warm and my fingers sweat does it slip....then the grip stuff would be good.

Back
Top Bottom