IR Differences between II & XL

api4u

Experienced
In some of the more recent Cab Packs, there are folders for II and for the XL cab files. Can anyone explain, to a layman, what the differences are between the two?

I currently have a II, and I have an XL on the way, and out of curiosity tried a couple of XL cabs, instead of the same II model cabs and am not noticing an obvious difference. (This are using XL cabs on an AFX II.) I mostly only use ultrares cabs, high quality, mono mode, so this is probably all I played around with, in my swapping around.

Obviously, when my XL gets here, I'll place XL cabs in slots where these are available to replace any cabs that are currently II cabs, but I was curiously surprised that the XL cabs even worked in the II, and that the difference (at least in the 3 or 4 I tried) was not that obvious? Could be my deaf old ears...... :nightmare:

The XL has a different sysex ID and therefore requires different cab files. The only difference in the files is the sysex ID.

Thanks, Cliff.

Am I correct that the Sysex ID is just a "name tag", so this is just basically supplying a name tag for hardware output?

Also, you mention that the XL has different sysex ID, and requires different cab files - I presume that most of my "older" UR II files will still be useable in the XL?

I understand that the XL presets are not down-gradeable to be readable with a II, so is this related to this?

Apologies for the "basic" questions - I'm just trying wrap my head around this, and haven't been able find much info in the forum/wiki, and am trying to get as smooth of a translation between my current II presets and my XL when it gets here.

Am I correct that the Sysex ID is just a "name tag", so this is just basically supplying a name tag for hardware output?
That's pretty much it. Every MIDI product gets a unique SysEx ID issued by the MIDI Manufacturers Association. SysEx stands for "System Exclusive." It's used to identify MIDI messages that are only meant for one specific model of equipment.

Back
Top Bottom