IR Blindtest (OH vs AFXII Stock vs Guitarhack)

Variety is the spice of life! I posted A was my pick earlier , but left out B & C .

My choice : 1st :A
2nd B
3rd C

Wait I'm in....

B sits the best in the mix.

I like A by itself.

I have no idea which is which, they all just sound different... Since I'm a fan of OH, I'll guess "B" is OH. Not sure about the other two, probably A-stock, C-GH

It's time to reveal the right answer and i also counted the most popular clips.
Here we go:

Most popular:
A = 12 votes
B = 5 votes
C = 0 votes

IR's in the right order:
A = Stock
B = Ownhammer
C = Guitarhack Thisone + Asem Recto free IR's

I want to thank you all for taking your time on listening these clips.

Here is my Rectifier patch, used in this test:
Axe-Change - Download Preset - DTS Rectifier - by dropthesun

Cheers!

There's nothing like the satisfaction of being right in a blindfolded test. ;)

Still I think I learned something new out of this. Because for me "A" sounded like a modeler. No realistic mic phase nor edge and disappeared in the mix on low volumes. Still the majority of people in here liked that the most. Now I don't know what to believe. I bet the order has a lot to do with it though. After your ears get used to the A clip you might not really like the brittleness of the other clips realistic or not. :)

I bet the order has a lot to do with it though. After your ears get used to the A clip you might not really like the brittleness of the other clips realistic or not. :)
Agreed.

What was illuminating for me was how viable all three sounded in a mix context. Different flavours, but all sounded good. Even B, which in isolation sounded too fizzy to my ears after A, sounded really good in a mix context. I also liked the sharpness of C in comparison to the other two.

If anything, this test shows me that auditioning IR's in isolation is almost a waste of time - it must be done in context and, even then, you might end up with several equally "good" IR's, any of which will work great, but will sound slightly different. Crap. So many choices... LOL

I didn't like the OH sound at all, and that's strange, because I mostly use OH irs myself :D The Marshall cab with Alnico blues, Scumback or Greenback are my go to IRs for practically everything.

Jan

There's nothing like the satisfaction of being right in a blindfolded test. ;)
Ahah, me too

funnily I was sure that C was GH because most GH IRs are a little bit too aggressive/scooped for my taste, besides ThisOne. I thought it wasn't ThisOne, and in fact it was, but blended with ASEM Recto which is really scooped, like other GH IRs

They will work in different mixes imo.

C don't take so much space in the mix (less mids), so it really depends if the guitar shall stand out or "stay in the carpet".

Cool comparison though. I allways liked the stock Mesa OH better than the stock RW.
And i allways use a brighter ir with the stock ir's... To make it.. well... brighter. Usually the Thorn ir.

How are the OH V32 Mesa, compared to the stock OH Mesa?

The thing about these comparisons is that there are so many factors that affect the result. Which IR's were chosen and why? What amp settings were used? Would different amp results give a different result? :)

Which IR's were chosen and why? What amp settings were used? Would different amp results give a different result? :)
... and which personal preferences do you like sound wise .... exactly. This is, why i cannont see any sense but having fun to shake the own balls when all three given assumptions were correct. :lol

anyone of these could be made to sound like the other.with amp settings or eq.

at least with the stock IR.that one is more of a blank slate than the others.high pass the low end and your pretty close to the OH.scoop the mids and your close to the Ghack.but it's really tough to do the reverse.for instance,trying to add the mids back into the Ghack ir,or boosting the lows back into the OH without "Whoomphing" it.

It's time to reveal the right answer and i also counted the most popular clips.
Here we go:

Most popular:
A = 12 votes
B = 5 votes
C = 0 votes

IR's in the right order:
A = Stock
B = Ownhammer
C = Guitarhack Thisone + Asem Recto free IR's

I want to thank you all for taking your time on listening these clips.

Here is my Rectifier patch, used in this test:
Axe-Change - Download Preset - DTS Rectifier - by dropthesun

Cheers!

What firmware is this? thx

I think the order that the clips are presented in has as much to do with the opinions as anything.

After hearing the darker clip A first it makes B and C seem way too bright in comparison. If they were presented the other way around originally I'm thinking more people would have said clip A sounds too dark and might have preferred B and C.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Back
Top Bottom