Interview with yours truly about pain and pain management

Thanks for sharing your story! I watched the entire thing and found it pretty fascinating.

What do you do for a living both before and after the injury?

Crikey, I had been feeling a bit sorry for myself following a bad day at work - watching this has certainly just put that firmly in perspective ( too much f**ing perspective !)

That's a hell of a story - all the best!

I have been a consulting independent programmer/analyst and business rules consultant for over 30 years. For awhile, both hands and brain did not seem like they'd ever recover enough to resume my profession, but thankfully, they did. Mostly. :D
Thanks for sharing your story! I watched the entire thing and found it pretty fascinating.

What do you do for a living both before and after the injury?

Last edited:
Man, that is some serious shit! I have even more respect for you now! Having been through all this must have enlightened you so much; one strong dude right there! Thanks for sharing with us, I learnt very important lessons tonight!

All the best,
Jean.

Wow, man... Just... Wow!

Thanks for sharing your story and insight.

Whenever I hear these kinds of stories it makes me recognize all the insignificant bullshit we all tend to focus on.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing this. I'm currently going through rehab for rotator cuff injuries on both shoulders. Your story puts my trivial problem in the proper perspective.

Absolutely worth watching. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I've a couple of questions. You mention that picking up a cup now is a very different action from before you had your most serious spinal injury. Do you think it's because you have had to reconsider the action more from a quantum point of view (as in which muscles are moving) with all of the awareness of an adult than when you learned it as a child (and essentially took the ability to move for granted)? If so, it has ramifications regarding teaching and learning the guitar and other musical instruments.

Also your observations regarding psychological and physiological pain are huge. While never having been in the kind of long term pain you have experienced, I have been in pain for a week to the point where my brain shut down and I blacked out, and the thing that got me through it was hope, in that I knew it would be resolved. Without that hope I too could see how a person could lose the will to live. I share your observations regarding PTSD, and in fact the chemically reactive nature of Western Medicine as a whole, although it's more applicable to individual cases...... IOW, I'm not going to throw out all the rules regarding hygiene, but I'm not going to take it to the extremes where my immune system has all germs removed and cannot build a suitable defence. The trauma of the injury took it's toll, and the EMDR therapy you received was incredibly interesting. It sounds like a form of regression that lets you deal on a one-to-one basis with the pain itself. In a way, it seems like the physical pain builds up in much the same way as psychological pain does, and EMDR therapy provides a safe release, in much the same way as therapy provides a controlled regression (referring not to hypnosis, but more to a psychodynamic clinical treatment) and lets the brain treat incidents on it's own terms.

Long winded, but I hope that makes sense?

Great video! Your experiences paralleled mine in many ways and we solved them in much the same manner. I was paralyzed in an auto accident when I was 21. Though my spinal cord was not severed it was crushed and didn't receive oxygen for an amount of time that rendered it a "complete" injury. I cannot tell you how many times during my initial recovery and even to this day have been told "oh your pain is what we call phantom pain" and my replies were along the lines of let me shove this phantom pain up your ass and get your reaction. :) I have very little respect for doctors to this day and feel they are more pill pushers for the pharmaceutical companies than healers. It's all about treating and masking the symptoms as opposed to finding and dealing with the cause in my experiences.

I too got tired of being treated like a guinea pig where they did tests and procedures that made no sense to me. As you said, you are in a vulnerable state and at the time and I was just grasping for any help possible to get past the injury, pain, and reliance on others. I too had a great rehab nurse who changed everything for me. I ended up marrying her. Go figure. I also demanded to read my charts and had to have lawyers intervene to make that happen. The doctors and administrators were NOT HAPPY when they had to turn it over to me. I actually had a lot of costs rescinded because they could not justify many of the tests they performed purely as an educational exercise. I could go on for days on the abuses and ignorance I personally was subjected to and saw with respect to other patients.

I still to this day have abdominal pain that comes and goes often for weeks at a time. I have taken all the opiates and as you stated they just take the edge off but only made it worse when they wear off. I hated what they were doing to my mind and the feeling of dependence to only slightly make things more tolerable. Over the years I have found the best solution for me when the pain strikes is to get inside my own head to a calm place and use breathing exercises. That may sound silly but it works for me.

I most certainly have not gone through as much as you but I find it remarkable that we shared so many experiences and came to many of the same basic conclusions. I never did pursue any formal non-western medical assistance but definitely tell everyone that my best advise for anyone with a severe injury or ongoing medical issue is to take control personally and not to blindly believe what the docs say or recommend as the gospel. Do your homework!

Oddly enough and similar to your conclusions that many would say is just plain illogical I count my injury as both a traumatic experience but one that I gained so much from. I was able to excel at wheelchair tennis and basketball and travel the world doing so. I have met so many remarkable people in my journeys that I would never have encountered otherwise. A lot of good came from something so terrible. Crazy I know.

Your story should be recommended viewing for anyone enduring traumatic and painful circumstances. Well said and articulated. Bravo to you and good luck in your future endeavors.

Last edited:
Watched your entire video this afternoon.
Thank you for sharing your intimate and vitally important story.
I concur with what's been said previously.
Will recommended to family & friends.

I found that very interesting and inspirational, thank you for sharing it.

I think one's attitude towards the condition is the main factor in managing it successfully. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with an arthritic condition which was searingly painful and affected my hands and wrists mainly. I could hardly pick up a guitar let alone play it for about 6 months and I became quite depressed. However I learned to manage the condition, and was able to slowly start playing again using very different techniques than I was accustomed to and I am now truly grateful that I can still play, albeit for short periods at a time.

Great video! Your experiences paralleled mine in many ways and we solved them in much the same manner. I was paralyzed in an auto accident when I was 21. Though my spinal cord was not severed it was crushed and didn't receive oxygen for an amount of time that rendered it a "complete" injury. I cannot tell you how many times during my initial recovery and even to this day have been told "oh your pain is what we call phantom pain" and my replies were along the lines of let me shove this phantom pain up your ass and get your reaction. :) I have very little respect for doctors to this day and feel they are more pill pushers for the pharmaceutical companies than healers. It's all about treating and masking the symptoms as opposed to finding and dealing with the cause in my experiences.

I too got tired of being treated like a guinea pig where they did tests and procedures that made no sense to me. As you said, you are in a vulnerable state and at the time and I was just grasping for any help possible to get past the injury, pain, and reliance on others. I too had a great rehab nurse who changed everything for me. I ended up marrying her. Go figure. I also demanded to read my charts and had to have lawyers intervene to make that happen. The doctors and administrators were NOT HAPPY when they had to turn it over to me. I actually had a lot of costs rescinded because they could not justify many of the tests they performed purely as an educational exercise. I could go on for days on the abuses and ignorance I personally was subjected to and saw with respect to other patients.

I still to this day have abdominal pain that comes and goes often for weeks at a time. I have taken all the opiates and as you stated they just take the edge off but only made it worse when they wear off. I hated what they were doing to my mind and the feeling of dependence to only slightly make things more tolerable. Over the years I have found the best solution for me when the pain strikes is to get inside my own head to a calm place and use breathing exercises. That may sound silly but it works for me.

I most certainly have not gone through as much as you but I find it remarkable that we shared so many experiences and came to many of the same basic conclusions. I never did pursue any formal non-western medical assistance but definitely tell everyone that my best advise for anyone with a severe injury or ongoing medical issue is to take control personally and not to blindly believe what the docs say or recommend as the gospel. Do your homework!

Oddly enough and similar to your conclusions that many would say is just plain illogical I count my injury as both a traumatic experience but one that I gained so much from. I was able to excel at wheelchair tennis and basketball and travel the world doing so. I have met so many remarkable people in my journeys that I would never have encountered otherwise. A lot of good came from something so terrible. Crazy I know.

Your story should be recommended viewing for anyone enduring traumatic and painful circumstances. Well said and articulated. Bravo to you and good luck in your future endeavors.

Another amazing life story, I can only imagine living through this kind of adversity and ending on top. This must have made you very strong!

Thanks for sharing,
Jean.

was reading the other thread where you mentioned your encounter..
and then found myself glued to the pc throughout the interview.
thanks for sharing
you've certainly put things in perspective for me!

Back
Top Bottom