Intermittent crash when USB connected?

mitch

Experienced
I didn't want to post this in the bugs section just yet, because I'm not sure how to reliably reproduce it and don't know whether it's maybe just an issue with my hardware instead of a bug.

Ever since I've installed v10, and now on 10.02, I get a very occasional lockup (no audio, lcd freeze) forcing me to power cycle. This has happened on a variety of patches, most of them factory presets or lightly modified factory presets. It's happened while I'm playing and also when it's just sitting idle. As part of my v10 update, I fully wiped the Axe-Fx, reset system parameters, and loaded the new v10 banks, so I can't imagine it's a corrupt preset, cab, etc. The only thing left for me to try is to disconnect the USB cable, as the cable has always been connected. Before anyone asks the obvious....no, I have not been using Axe-Edit. I'm on Win7 64-bit.

Anyway, I'm just posting here to see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue and/or if there are any known issues with the USB simply being connected. I've disconnected the USB cable and will see if it happens again.

Yeah.

I'm kinda terrified of connecting it via USB live to change my patches, and send a click track to the drummer and sync to a backing track if mid show the crowd heads that horrible screech.

Alright. I've got the USB disconnected and I've had my AxeFx on all day, playing it on and off throughout the day. I've had absolutely no lockups, so I'm convinced this is related to USB. The only question is whether it's some kind of bug or something particular about our computers that is causing it. I really can't recall any lockups like this prior to v10, other than a very rare one or two while using Axe Edit, which I just assumed was an Axe Edit problem.

Anyone else having this issue? I suppose I should post to the bugs section soon to get some Fractal eyes on it, but I really have no idea how to reproduce other than to hook up USB and play and wait an unknown length of time.

If a moderator sees this, feel free to move to the Bugs section if appropriate. Thanks.

I had an issue on the first couple of days with it killing my mouse when I powered down and one time I had a lock up on the AxeFXII itself. I ended up re finishing my desk so when I hooked everything back up I used a different USB port. Haven't had a single hiccup since and it's seen a hell of a lot of use since them. It's not exactly the same, but it could be related.

Alright. I've got the USB disconnected and I've had my AxeFx on all day, playing it on and off throughout the day. I've had absolutely no lockups, so I'm convinced this is related to USB. The only question is whether it's some kind of bug or something particular about our computers that is causing it. I really can't recall any lockups like this prior to v10, other than a very rare one or two while using Axe Edit, which I just assumed was an Axe Edit problem.

Anyone else having this issue? I suppose I should post to the bugs section soon to get some Fractal eyes on it, but I really have no idea how to reproduce other than to hook up USB and play and wait an unknown length of time.

If a moderator sees this, feel free to move to the Bugs section if appropriate. Thanks.

I had issues with it killing my USB devices if I shut the axeFX off while connected on previous versions but i haven't played around with v10 to know if it still happens - very annoying! I noticed that if I waited like 5 minutes the mouse/keyboard came back.

Funny you mention it. Lockups for me are extremely rare and usually involve Axe Edit, but I did just have one last night. I was playing guitar while watching a movie and the movie froze and the screen on the Axe went blank. I though something was wrong with the movie at first but then I looked over at the Axe and saw the blank screen, so I power cycled it and all was good. It's very unusual for a lockup to happen just randomly like that, but it has happened before.

The Bitcrush-bug mostly happens for Macs, and it's not just the Axe. I have a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 interface where I get this bitcrush-behaviour after a while. Hasn't happened with the Axe yet tho :)
The topic is not only about the bitcrushing thing, but also about the timed crash when connecting via USB. I had this problem on windows 7 machines, both 32 and 64 bit, so it's not a mac issue.

Just want to add I've not used Axe-Edit in ages, but I still get that KHHHPHHTTTTSSSHHHHH sound.
I use the Axe fx as my audio interface.

Well my sound doesn't get bitcrushed I don't think. I just get a constant shrieking sound for about 5 seconds then it stops and the Axe loses all functionality. Needs a hardboot to get it working again.

The topic is not only about the bitcrushing thing, but also about the timed crash when connecting via USB. I had this problem on windows 7 machines, both 32 and 64 bit, so it's not a mac issue.
I think I replied that I have never observed this on Win7 32 or 64 bit nor XP Pro 32 or 64.
Have you tried looking at what else is running at the time this happens?
Do you have other audio device drivers installed?
Is the Axe set as default device ?

Well my sound doesn't get bitcrushed I don't think. I just get a constant shrieking sound for about 5 seconds then it stops and the Axe loses all functionality. Needs a hardboot to get it working again.
I have had this happen, but way back before the release of the v1.50 USB drivers, during testing of the 4-in/4-out config (that never made it to the public release), but not since. That is of no help, I understand, but IIRC it was caused by driver overload. Have you ever adjusted the USB "streaming Mode" setting in the FAS USB Driver ?

I think I replied that I have never observed this on Win7 32 or 64 bit nor XP Pro 32 or 64.
Have you tried looking at what else is running at the time this happens?
Do you have other audio device drivers installed?
Is the Axe set as default device ?
I have audio device drivers for my primary interface, which is an EMU 1820M. I have had the crash happen with nothing else running other than the EMU patchmix app to control levels to my monitors. I have the SPDIF from the Axe to the EMU for monitoring, but I often record the Axe directly via USB.

AxeFx seems to be making itself the recording default device when it's powered on and the playback "Default Communications Device", whatever that means. Are there known issues around this or a preferred way to set this up?

I have had this happen, but way back before the release of the v1.50 USB drivers, during testing of the 4-in/4-out config (that never made it to the public release), but not since. That is of no help, I understand, but IIRC it was caused by driver overload. Have you ever adjusted the USB "streaming Mode" setting in the FAS USB Driver ?
I have actually adjusted the USB Steaming Mode to "Low Latency" and the ASIO Buffer Size to "128 samples". I haven't had a problem with these settings in the past and wanted the lower latency in order to play through plugins and things like MIDI Guitar in realtime. Are there recommended settings? I thought the only issue with lower settings is that it would cause dropouts on some systems, but didn't realize it could actually crash the AxeFx. Any advice?

Just gone into the control panel and Buffer Settings. The USB Streaming Mode is on Safe. (ASIO buffer size is 2048 samples if that's any use)

Shame about the 4x4 config :(
I remember there being talk of the 3x3 config so you could re-amp in the mix. Is that still being worked on?

Back
Top Bottom