Interface Idea...

Great design skills!

IMHO the good solution would consist in an external 1U or 2U rack filled with knobs. No inscriptions whatsoever. Just plain and dummy knobs. The controlled parameters would be programmed with a dedicated editor (the rack would provide a midi port and/or USB of course).
Simple magnetic labels (removable, exchangeable..) would just be applied right on or around knobs. They would be made by third party companies!

I have to say that I almost exclusively use the big knob when tweaking while playing.
This, since I tweak with my pick hand and then it is only possible to turn the big knob by raking it with the side of the hand without changing position of the pick.
The small knobs are simply too small and too tight positioned for fast tweaking, for me.
I would prefer lesser knobs and positioned on a row with more space between them.
The amount of space probably needs to be tested with different sized test persons.
Just my thought.
But I really like your idea, awesome.

I'm really digging this navigation idea a lot! :p

Closeup-wheel_zps781d2f59.jpg

I also love deep editing options!, but deep menu navigation is not handy in live or other situations.
How about a customizable GUI for Axe-Edit then?
I saw several programs that provide an editional "Live-GUI" editor, where you could pop in windows and controls on demand. This is a very popular thing in light-controls for professional light/laser-shows.

So basicly just a checkbox above every control and toggle. If you check it, the control will appear on the live-GUI.

Then, when playing live, just switch to live mode and you have a blank GUI with only the toggles and knobs you checked. Maybe also replace the knobs with sliders in this mode.

Maybe a little bit like this:
4715103433_c20c2c1a00.jpg

6 knobs under the display that sit under their assigned parameter in context. A real time output meter for levelling would be handy. I'd quite like a simple amp settings function, where I can just tweak a few EQ knobs like a real amp.

But all those buttons would get in the way of my chipolata digits

Ok, so how about a reviser navigation?? :)

AxeFXsmartwheel_zps88fba362.png

A slick idea, but problematic. You need fine control over the Value knob because every click can be radically different. One click can go from pristine clean to raw gain. It's not like a volume knob, where you can be off by a few clicks and barely notice. Fine control means you have to be able to grab the sides of the knob with multiple fingers or brush up against the side. The value knob needs depth.

The close proximity of the nav buttons means a good chance of hitting things you don't want to hit. Controls need at least a minimal amount of separation.

I can vouch for Axe for Lemur. Well worth the money. Please integrate a save function if possible, so I don't have use the front panel. Thanks

Or this...which is about 1/3 the interfaces available inside this editor (showing 2 of skins) Available now, works great!
This is not the same.

I was talking about "live controls".
Axe for Lemur is 1) a full blown editor containing all controls, which requires the same menu tapping as Axe-Edit and 2) requires apple products.

Axe for Lemur is not suited for fast editing on the fly in a gig situation.

This is not the same.

Axe for Lemur is 1) a full blown editor containing all controls, which requires the same menu tapping as Axe-Edit and 2) requires apple products.

You can make you own template, or use a BCR2000 with real rotary button

This one has 6 encoder knobs with no designation but a letter so they can be assign to what ever you like, besides a physical quick GRID CONTROL for easy intuitive block design!

This is not the same.

Shoot me a PM when you have a hardware editor working exactly as you describe. Would love to check it out.

In the meantime I'll keep using the Lemur editor for lightning fast edits on the fly at my gigs and for efficient/fast fine tuning at home. Those who've tried it love it and can back me up on this.

This one has 6 encoder knobs with no designation but a letter so they can be assign to what ever you like, besides a physical quick GRID CONTROL for easy intuitive block design!

Make it 3u, increase the width of the display to match the knobs + a bit so that each knob's function and value can be displayed directly above it, increase the height of the display to take in the additional 1u, make the display a touch screen.

/fantasy

Back
Top Bottom