Intelligent noise gate issue? Digital artifacts?

Ledvedder

Inspired
I was noticing some strange artifacts when I let chords or notes sustain. I tried several different amp models and cabs, and the symptoms remained the same. I tried to pinpoint where it was coming from for a while and noticed the artifacts went away when using the "classic" noise gate in the input block. The artifacts were present using both the "intelligent" gate, and the "noise reducer" gate. Has anyone else noticed this?

Having the same issue when using the Modern Gate. Kinda "solved" it by tightening the Noise Gate, but yeah, it sounds terrible

OK. Do you still place the block as the 1st block after the input block? Or somewhere else in the chain?
If it's first then you won't need the Sidechain since input is already coming from there.

I don't use Gates aside from noise reducer so in the input block.

Depending on what you're trying to achieve it can be placed in different spots.

OK. Do you still place the block as the 1st block after the input block? Or somewhere else in the chain?
The idea of the Sidechain is to place the gate after the amp. This way the gate reacts to the more dynamic DI signal at your input gate yet it closes the gate at the noisier, more compressed section of your signal chain after the amp.

Just quickly read through the thread and adding to what @Bakerman said... Distinguishing between "digital artifact" and compression chatter, the latter can sound digital due to the snappier attack and release times afforded by modern digital gear. And yeah, important distinction when considering something as a potential compressor bug. Cheers, D

I have also noticed the Intelligent Gate seems to have weird digitizing sounds, so I usually use Classic instead. Intrested to try those new gates that were released on the Axe III when they get ported to the FM3.

I was noticing some strange artifacts when I let chords or notes sustain. I tried several different amp models and cabs, and the symptoms remained the same. I tried to pinpoint where it was coming from for a while and noticed the artifacts went away when using the "classic" noise gate in the input block. The artifacts were present using both the "intelligent" gate, and the "noise reducer" gate. Has anyone else noticed this?

Hey man I’m having the same exact issue with my FM3 when palm muting on high gain amps.

Glad this got brought up again, I had forgotten to reply. I've had this issue as well as long as I've owned my FM3. Multiple guitars and pickup types. Palm muting chugging on a high gain amp any cab with the intelligent gate used in input 1. As others reported, I switch to classic or use a gate block and the digital noises go away.

Back
Top Bottom