Input Trim = Voltage Multiplier?

Matt_B_77

Power User
Hello folks, I recently broke out a guitar I haven't used with the FM3 yet and it has single coils. My patches have all been built for PAFs (Dimarzio 36ths to be exact) so besides the tonal differences, there is a gain difference as well since the single coils are not hot but any stretch (Dimarzio Injector Neck in the bridge, Dimarzio Area 67s in middle and neck).

I read up the the Amp block's Input Control so I understand what it does and I know it's what I need for this tweak. What I would like to clarify is if the Input Trim value is equal to a voltage multiplier value. I could not find an answer to that on here or anywhere else.

I ask because if it is that simple, then matching the output speak, between two pickups is super easy when you know the basic voltage of the pickups (yes, I know output is frequency dependent but we are going to ignore because we want to allow each pickup's tone to come through).

What all this means is if Pickup 1 has an output of 160 mV and Pickup 2 has 285 mV, setting Input Trim to 1.8 (or 1.781 to be exact), will compensate for the output difference.

Now when one factors in the difference in frequency output between the two pickups, this calculated value is just a starting point (listen for the solution, don't look for it!) but it seems like a good one to start with, right?

In practice, in this specific situation for me, I'm finding setting Input Trim to 2.0 feels better than 1.8 in that the response of the amp feels the same now with either guitar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom