Input and Output Level Controllers

retnuH

How/what do you guys use to control your input and output levels? I have an expression pedal set up through my Midi Raider for input volume and pedal 1 on the Axe for my output 1 volume through the I/O- Control menu. However, I can’t find a way to set the detailed settings for either of them like is possible for a volume/pan block, my wah block or any other block that is externally controlled. Am I missing something or is that not available for those two things? I’d really like to be able to limit the output level with a minimum range and would also like to be able to switch it around so I didn’t have to re-wire the jack on my pedal. I need to control the input gain for the preset and then control the overall output volume so I can turn down low during band practice.
I set up a volume block at the end of my patch to control output and tied pedal 1 to it but it is giving me the volume on top of the level and what I really want is to be able to go from max volume to a lower volume level instead of it being extra volume on top. I suspect I need to look at controlling the input gain and output level on the amp block or preset instead but I haven’t had time to get into it any deeper yet and thought I would consult the gurus instead. What’s the best way to do this? How do you guys do it?
Thanks,
Hunter

There isn't any way to adjust how input/output volume items function on the Axe, beyond assigning a source. Some pedals might have a minimum volume knob, and a MIDI controller (not sure for Midi Raider) sometimes allows configuring a narrower value range for the pedal. Those are basically your options with those specific volume items.

What you mention about the volume block should be avoidable with correct modifier settings. It sounds like you might be controlling the "level" parameter (the one listed in dB). Try the "volume" parameter instead. Set the desired MIN value and leave MAX at 10. ("Level" could potentially work fine too; you just need to set the right min/max values.)

Thanks for the reply. I do have the min and max parameters set on the Midi Raider pedal for the input volume but I'd still like more control. The volume block for output is set to control volume and not level and that's where it's giving me the volume on top of the max volume so will try to level parameter instead. I may switch my wah off of the Midi Raider to the Axe pedal 1 and use the min max params on the MR to do what I need with overall volume, then mess around with some other things to see if I can do what I want. Maybe a volume block at the front end will do what I need instead of controlling the input volume.

The volume block for output is set to control volume and not level and that's where it's giving me the volume on top of the max volume so will try to level parameter instead.

What was the "output level" parameter set to? Try initializing the block (while in block edit menu, double-tap bypass on front panel, or initialize via Axe-Edit) then assign pedal to "volume" parameter again. Then the block can only reach unity gain when "volume" is 10, not boost. (Along with page 2 input/pan settings, the key aspect of this is "output level" 0 dB, not some other value.)

Back
Top Bottom