Incoming! Incoming! Incoming!

Yes, even though I have 10 favorite amps, I probably use only 3 or so at a gig.

Yes, even though I have 10 favorite amps, I probably use only 3 or so at a gig.
I've found the same thing works for me. It gets kind of hokey sounding if you are swapping monstrously different tones into every other song, IMHO. I certainly wouldn't have issue with anyone that works for, but I tend to stick to 3 or 4 main tones with a few special ones dialed in for one-off covers that are too unique not to address.

I have been using a lot of your examples as templates to build on. Thanks for sharing your insights. :)

Reactions: yek
My Axe-Fx II preset collection. Firmware 5.07.

>> DOWNLOAD

The notes below are also available as a PDF document. Open here.

• Use Axe-Edit 1.0.273 or later to import these presets.
  • This collection contains presets I created, tweaked factory presets and tweaked presets from other users (credits go to them).
  • There are (old) samples of some effects on SoundCloud.
  • The presets are dialed in for live playing through guitar speakers (Output 2), at gigging volume level. Output 1 serves studio monitors, FR amplification and direct-to-FOH.
  • I use many Global Blocks in my presets. These were “unlinked” in Axe-Edit when exporting the presets.

My Amplification
  • Home (Output 1): Adam A7X studio monitors.
  • Live (Output 2): Atomic 50/50 or Matrix GT800FX power amp, 1x12 with Scumback M75 and/or 1x12 with EVM-12L.

My Guitars
  • I used my Gibson and a Suhr GG when dialing in the Amp blocks. As always the use of other guitars will result in different gain structures and tones. But I use the same presets without modification with my other guitars.

My Global and I/O Parameters

Global menu:
  • Power Amp modeling: On.
  • Cabinet simulation: On (req. for Output 1).
  • Global EQs: Flat, unless a room or guitar requires adjustment.
  • Spillover: Both.
  • Amp Gain: Default.
I/O menu:
  • Analog Front Input: Left.
  • Instr Input level: just "tickling" red.
  • Output 1 Mode: Sum L+R (Stereo also possible).
  • Output 2 Mode: Sum L+R (Stereo also possible).
  • X = Amp 1. Y = Cab 1.

OUTPUT 2: Power amp and Guitar cab
  • Output 2 goes into a (neutral) power amp and guitar cab(s) via the FXL block. There's no Cabinet simulation. Make sure to turn up Output 2 Level on the front panel to hear sound.
  • Output 2 can be Stereo or mono (Sum L+R), I run it mono (I/O > Output 2 Mode = Sum L+R). Effect block parameters are set to avoid phase cancellation.

OUTPUT 1: Studio monitors, FR amplification, FOH
  • Output 1 is the "direct" signal, using a Cab block for cabinet simulation. Make sure to turn up Output 1 Level on the front panel to hear sound.
  • Output 1 can be Stereo or mono (Sum L+R). Effect blocks are configured to avoid phase cancellation when using Sum L+R. If you want a stereo signal (Rotary, Delay etc.), make sure the Cab block is set to stereo (and pan L/R) and set Output 1 Mode to Stereo in I/O.
  • The Cab block is set to “X", default Cab Size, no Room, Low cut at 150Hz, High cut somewher between 6 and 8kHz.
  • I use a single Cab block configuration in most presets. It contains one or two IRs. Without added mic simulation because the IRs I use already "contain" a mic. For IRs I use equivalents of the speakers in my guitar cabs: Scumback M75 resp. EVM-12L. In my Axe-Fx the Cab block is a Global Block, so I only have adjust the Cab block in a single preset and most other presets will follow automatically. While this approach may not provide the most ideal / traditional Amp+Cab combinations, it recreates the tone of my “real world” cabs, it’s consistent and it’s simple.
  • A few user cab slots contain IRs for acoustic sounds:
    • User cab 2 (general acoustic) = Acoustic Guitar Body (source)
    • User cab 3 (cello) = cello_long (source)
    • User cab 4 (dreadnought guitar) = Fish Dread9 (source)
    • User cab 5 (violin) = Yamaha AV5 4_4 - Neumann U87
    • User cab 6 (nylon guitar) = Fish Nylon04 (source)
    • User cab 7 (dreadnought guitar) = Taylor 314ce Earthworks QTC30 (source)

My Amp Blocks
  • Most presets contain a single Amp 1 block with X/Y configuration. I switch between X/Y using an IA-switch on my MFC-101. Y is default because I prefer the LED of the IA-switch to be off by default.
  • Using single Amp blocks makes sure that amp modeling runs in HiRes mode.
  • Advanced amp parameters are at default with a few exceptions.
  • Input Select in the Amp block is set to Left instead of Sum L+R. This is required for the dual-function expression pedal configuration, see below.
  • Current favorite amp types (Y/X):
    • Doubleverb and Boutique1
    • Budda
    • Euro Blue and Red
    • Friedman BE crunch and hi-gain
    • Cameron and Recto Orange Modern

My Expression Pedal and Switch
  • A Boss FS-6 (external dual-function switch) is connected to the MFC-101. It controls Externals 2 and 9. One switches between Whammy and Wah signal and the other controls Rotary and Tremolo speeds.
  • A Mission expression pedal controls the Wah and Whammy sweeps through External 1, using Auto-engage. A switch on the FS-6 controls the Balance parameter in the Wah and Pitch blocks. By setting the Input in the Amp block to Left (and also in Drive blocks before the Amp block!) the signal switches between Wah and Whammy. More information
  • If a preset name contains "P1" in its name, the pedal serves a specific goal.

Full Preset List, in the right order to fit in MFC banks (Bank Size 5)

list.jpg

My Grid Template

grid.jpg

My Grid Template has the following effect blocks, configured as Global Blocks (on my Axe-Fx II):
  • VOLUME: Attached to Envelope controller, for automatic volume swells.
  • COMPRESSOR: Pedal compressor, enabled by default in clean tone presets.
  • WAH: Emulating a Dunlop Jerry Cantrell wah pedal, controlled through External 1 (expression pedal, auto-engage).
  • WHAMMY: Emulating a Whammy pedal, controlled through External 1 (expression pedal, auto-engage).
  • RING MODULATOR: Emulating an added low octave.
  • CHORUS: Emulating a vibrato (Y) or a Roland CE-2 chorus (X).
  • PHASER: Emulating a MXR Phase 90 (Y) or Uni-vibe (X).
  • DRIVE1: Emulating a Tubescreamer (Y) or Fuzzface (X). Note: Input Select is set to Left. This is required for the dual-function expression pedal configuration.
  • AMP: See above. Note: Input Select is set to Left. This is required for the dual-function expression pedal configuration.
  • SEND/RETURN: Extending the row of effect blocks.
  • ROTARY: Speed controlled through an external switch.
  • TREMOLO: Speed controlled through an external switch.
  • FLANGER: Emulating through-zero flanging.
  • REVERB: Plate reverb in most presets, enabled by default in clean tone presets.
  • DELAY: Emulating ducking dual delay (Y) or and long Tape Echo (X).
  • GEQ: A boost switch for leads, emphasizing Mids and boosting preset level with 3.5dB.
  • FX Loop: Feeding a signal without Cab simulation to Output 2. In a couple of presets a PEQ block in front of FXL boosts the high frequencies.
  • CAB: See above.
  • GATE: The noise gate (Layout) is set to moderate settings.

My MFC-101 layout

• Cat-5 cable, Axe-Fx II and Song mode, expression pedal (TSR cable), dual-function switch (TRS cable).
  • Bank Size is 5, so the bottom row is dedicated to preset switches. These turn into IA-switches when pressing Reveal and the labels in the picture show their purpose in that mode.
  • I use the MFC-01 in Song mode. The only reason is that in Song mode I can assign / see names when scrolling through banks/songs. If you the order the presets as shown in the image above, and also use Song mode, you may also want to use the following Song names to indicate the kind of presets in each bank/song: 001 Amps; 002 FavFX 1; 003 FavFX 2; 004 OD/Fuzz; 005 Modul 1; 006 Modul 2; 007 Delays; 008 SoundFX; 009 Ambient; 010 Guitars; 011 Instrum; 012 Covers; 013 Synths; 014 Strings; 015 Solo 1; 016 Solo 2

mfc.jpg

What's New?

• Changed the grid template. Removed Mixer block. Moved the Chorus block. Changed the switching between Wah and Whammy (see above). The switch on the pedal is no longer used. Wah and Whammy set to auto-engage. Added some presets, modified some preset settings. Improved violin and cello presets. Switched some Amp types, finetuned Amp parameters. Adjusted effect block settings/levels. Boss FS-6 switch instead of Mission switch. Changed IRs in the Cab blocks, adjusted Hi-Cut. Changed the layout of IA-switches on the MFC-101. The "Fuzz" switch switches Drive 1 between Y (Tubescreamer) and X (FuzzFace). Changed Delay settings, changed Delay Y-mode to (ducking) dual delay. Adjusted PEQ 2 in some presets (more hi-freq boost for acoustic sounds, synths etc.). Finetuned the Vibrato settings.

QSC K12 and 1x12 cab with EVM-12L are for sale.

Last edited:
Many thanks Yek - but when do you sleep ? (Just when I thought I could sit back for a little...)

With the trem and rotary speeds now in effect XY switched by the FS6, do you now use tap tempo?

Last edited:
The switch on my FS-6 which controls Tremolo and Rotary rates, just switches between 2 settings: slow and fast. These are not preset tempo-related. It worked for me in the past and still does. The slow and fast rates are set in the Modifier menu of Trem/Pan and Rotary. I switched from pedal to switch to be able to set the expr.pedal to "auto-engage", not having to use its switch.

Tap Tempo on my MFC is used only for the Delay block. And I hardly use it, I must confess.

The FS-6 is a great pedal but a little large and it depends on a battery. I will be trying this alternative soon:
Dual Momentary Footswitch - Bright Onion Pedals' Shop

Last edited:
I'll also upload a zipped file containing the presets WITH all global blocks intact, including the required System dump, soon.

Thanks for the system Yek.

I'm finding the light on my FS-5L useful for showing whether its in Whammy or Wah mode before going into a break .... but being just the one switch and light, the battery lasts ages. The Bright Onion looks good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the system Yek.

I'm finding the light on my FS-5L useful for showing whether its in Whammy or Wah mode before going into a break .... but being just the one switch and light, the battery lasts ages. The Bright Onion looks good.

Yes, the battery does last long indeed. Personally I don't really need the visual reminder, because any preset switch will return the pedal to Wah as default (PC RST parameter in modifier menu).

Yek-

Quick question and probably due to my ignorance.

My setup is an FBT Verve 12ma on Output 1, and KRK Studio Monitors on Output 2.

When I add a Cab into your presets (after AMP and before SEND) on Output 2 my CPU goes up to 100% on some presets (i.e. Cameron Solo yek).

Is there a better way to add a CAB to both outputs?

Thanks.

Been using the Bright Onion myself for some time now. (Modded version with dual color led's). Nice and sturdy. Highly recommended.
James is a class act to work with as well.
023df8f2.jpg

Reactions: yek
Yek-

Quick question and probably due to my ignorance.

My setup is an FBT Verve 12ma on Output 1, and KRK Studio Monitors on Output 2.

When I add a Cab into your presets (after AMP and before SEND) on Output 2 my CPU goes up to 100% on some presets (i.e. Cameron Solo yek).

Is there a better way to add a CAB to both outputs?

Thanks.

Adding a [EDIT: second] Cab block adds a lot of CPU %. And it isn't necessary with your rig.
Because you don't use a real cabinet, you can delete the FXL block/row, and activate Copy Out1 > Out2 in the I/O menu.
This delives the same signal to Out1 and Out2, using the Cab block that's already in the preset.

Set Output 1 Mode in I/O to Sum L+R (Verve), and set Output 2 Mode to Stereo (KRKs).

Make sure the Cab block is set to stereo to get a stereo signal through the KRKs. Or move it before the Chorus and keep it mono if you like.

Last edited:
S0c9 suggested to make the preset notes available as a PDF document and created the first one. Good idea. I added a link to the PDF file at the top of the post containing the presets. I'll also include the PDF in the zipped file next time.

Adding a Cab block adds a lot of CPU %. And it isn't necessary with your rig.
Because you don't use a real cabinet, you can delete the FXL block/row, and activate Copy Out1 > Out2 in the I/O menu.
This delives the same signal to Out1 and Out2, using the Cab block that's already in the preset.

Set Output 1 Mode in I/O to Sum L+R (Verve), and set Output 2 Mode to Stereo (KRKs).

Make sure the Cab block is set to stereo to get a stereo signal through the KRKs. Or move it before the Chorus and keep it mono if you like.

Works perfect. Just deleted the FXL loop block as you suggested.
Thanks!

Last edited:
S0c9 suggested to make the preset notes available as a PDF document and created the first one. Good idea. I added a link to the PDF file at the top of the post containing the presets. I'll also include the PDF in the zipped file next time.
Cool. Saves me the trouble of saving off individual posts when yolu update your presets. Thanks!

"ScrapBook'ed" your preset notes before - pdf is much better - thank you! :D

Some of the amp sims have a lot of low end (in general) with Bass at 5. Like the Fenders, Boutique, Euro Red etc.
In the last few days I've been experimenting with that low end a bit (again).

Instead of turning down Bass, try turning up Low Cut on the Advanced page. Try 100, 200, 300 ...
This decreases the amount of low end at the input stage of the Amp block. Some of the amp sims have this value way up by default anyway.

I'm quite happy with the results. It cleans up the low end, pulls back extreme lows, while not thinning out the sound like the Bass control can do.

So as an experiment I'm keeping Bass at 5 for a while in my amp blocks, using Low Cut instead for low end control. Let's see how this works out.
P.S. Not reflected in my posted presets yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom