(implemented) Eliminate gap when using the same amp block across different channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcm78

Experienced
The gaps when changing amp channels are by far my biggest gripe with my Fractal units. I'm suggesting a baby step here to eliminate the gap when using the same model across several channels. Maybe even make the gap gain dependent. The bigger difference in gain from one channel to another = a gap.

I understand the two amp workaround but that only gives me two gapless channels.

Control switches are another alternative but are limited.

FWIW, the last two channel switchers I used live were the Bogner Ecstasy 101B Classic and the Suhr PT15IR. Neither of these amps had a gap when switching channels...

I think if this were possible it would have happened a long time ago being that it probably the biggest complaint across the board.

The gaps when changing amp channels are by far my biggest gripe with my Fractal units. I'm suggesting a baby step here to eliminate the gap when using the same model across several channels. Maybe even make the gap gain dependent. The bigger difference in gain from one channel to another = a gap.

I understand the two amp workaround but that only gives me two gapless channels.

Control switches are another alternative but are limited.

FWIW, the last two channel switchers I used live were the Bogner Ecstasy 101B Classic and the Suhr PT15IR. Neither of these amps had a gap when switching channels...
If you'e using the same amp between two different blocks or different channels you could use scene controllers to adjust the amount of gain (and other knobs) between two sounds you would need. Ie A marshall with a gain at 1 and gain at 8 to have a clean & dirty sound

I think if this were possible it would have happened a long time ago being that it probably the biggest complaint across the board.
I don't know if it's a baby step either, but considering how often this has been suggested, one would think he would have said something if it's not feasible.

If you'e using the same amp between two different blocks or different channels you could use scene controllers to adjust the amount of gain (and other knobs) between two sounds you would need. Ie A marshall with a gain at 1 and gain at 8 to have a clean & dirty sound
Thanks. I’ll look into that.

I don't know if it's a baby step either, but considering how often this has been suggested, one would think he would have said something if it's not feasible.
I don’t know why people just accept something and say it’s not possible.

What if it leaked that Cliff had am FM9 with full AxeFX functionality and gapless channel switching?

So you think it's possible that he would keep that completely for himself for what reason?
It’s reasonable to have features and functionality banked for future firmware updates. You don’t think this stuff is developed and released in real time do you?

It’s reasonable to have features and functionality banked for future firmware updates. You don’t think this stuff is developed and released in real time do you?
It would take more than a firmware update for the FM9 to achieve full Axe III functionality. Your post suggests that he could have a completely different version of the FM9.

You posted an 8 scene preset with
8 different amps in there with little to no gap maybe that would work for the OP ?

I remember (many years ago) Cliff told it is possibile. It require one if...then...else to avoid recalculate the amp. His fear was 1. user will complain some switch seem immediate, other have a gap; 2. there could be burst and noise (since many years ago, I think II era, the switching process evolved a lot).

I remember (many years ago) Cliff told it is possibile. It require one if...then...else to avoid recalculate the amp. His fear was 1. user will complain some switch seem immediate, other have a gap; 2. there could be burst and noise (since many years ago, I think II era, the switching process evolved a lot).
I figured it was a noise issue that's why I suggested the gap be determined by the difference in gain.

It would take more than a firmware update for the FM9 to achieve full Axe III functionality. Your post suggests that he could have a completely different version of the FM9.
It might be as simple as loading AxeIII OS and firmware onto an FM9... How different can the hardware be?

I figured it was a noise issue that's why I suggested the gap be determined by the difference in gain.
It's not a gain problem; Cliff explained the models need iteraction to achieve stationariety. They have virtual cap and resistor. They need time to reach proper condition/value. You may have notice some (real) amps have a "bump" when changing channel for the first time: is the eletrical charge/discharge in electric circuit (capacitor in primis). The gain knob have a capacitor. If you suddenly change the gain pot value, the virtual cap should react as a cap (charge or discharge, it depends on the circuit). This is only one of the many caps inside an amp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom