I'm interviewing Mark Day tonight

Sorry I didn't have the time to read thw whole thread but my question would be: why he isn't using any UltraRes cabs in his presets?

I didn't get to read the whole thread either. In Mark's studio he has 4 Marshall cabs with a Mesa power amp. He also has standalone pedals as well as a Fractal Unit and Matrix power amp. I assume he has some FRFR speakers too. What does his current live rig consist of when playing a larger venue? Does he use the AFx2 with his Marshall Cabs and Mesa amp? Which method does he prefer Solidstate/FRFR or Tube power amp/Marshall cabs with V30's in them? Or something else?

Post your questions below if interested. I have a fairly comprehensive list already and Mark's a busy man so I may not even have the time to ask them, but I'll try my best to throw in a few good ones from the forum. For those wondering, Mark is doing me a real solid here as this is for a class at Berklee Online. I'm not a pro journalist by any stretch.

Can we get an update?
Was the interview fun? Informative?
Which question received the best answer?
Will you post the interview here on the fractal forum?

Just congratulate him on his engagement to his beautiful girlfriend Roxie, for all of us.
I have chated with Mark before, he is a very kind soul. He never gets why people like him so much. It's because he's real and talented. He's everyone's friend.

Nice people, get everywhere in life.

1) what was the sliding door between became a funny comedian like Mr Bean (thinking his faces when he play guitar) and a f***ing good guitarman? :mrgreen
2) what kind of economy in Canada make possible that an emploiee can have such a beautyfull house ... 3 or 4 videocameras... and TONS of fantastic guitars, amps, cabs, and FAS gear? :lol
3) Gibson Axcess: with Floyd Rose and locking-nut... is really a Gibson... or marketing stuff? 8)

uh... and ... last but not least

4) why too much gain? :eagerness:

Thanks for the interest everyone. The interview ran about an hour and I've got a lot of material to sort through. Once I've transcribed it and formatted it the way I want, I'll post a link here. It will probably be a few weeks as this week is midterms and I'm taking 5 classes (not to mention working full time).

Sneak preview - There wasn't enough time for most of the questions posted, but I was able to get Mark to discuss his ability to keep high gain tones so quiet - it's mostly (not) the AxeFx. Details in the interview...

What gauge strings to you use?

How long did it take you to develop that vocal vibrato?

What is your approach to breaking down and learning a song? Do you do it by ear? Do you figure out the chord cadences first? Or do you lock onto parts that sound similar to songs you already know how to play and work out from there?

Sneak preview - There wasn't enough time for most of the questions posted, but I was able to get Mark to discuss his ability to keep high gain tones so quiet - it's mostly (not) the AxeFx. Details in the interview...

He is incredibly skilled at muting strings with his fingers on the picking hand , seen it many times how he mutes adjacent strings
at the same time picking .. I noticed that a long time ago when I first saw videos by him ...

I'm sure it's just part of the equation but nevertheless ... another part is him being an awesome guitar player ...

Back
Top Bottom