I'm addicted to Supply Sag

Is this a rhetorical question? ;) Well then, i will give you an individual answer:

I'm addicted to Preamp Dynamics (only for clean settings!)
Is it wrong that I like this cranked almost all the way up?

;) Thanks for this Parameter Cliff!

this does nothing with the power amp sims off though correct? so how would I emulate this behavior then?

Is it wrong that I like this cranked almost all the way up?
I was experimenting with dropping the sag and increasing the MV for sustain .... But my latest fun was your tip regarding the Transformer Match being turned a little one way or the other. Depending on the amp, and settings, I am having fun with that one !!!
Now I am off to try turing the sag way up and see what happens :D
Thanks for these tips !

Newbie question here but what does Supply Sag do and where can I find information about it? :)

Supply Sag models the power supply resistance. This includes the power transformer, rectifier and any other resistances before the filter caps. The higher the resistance, the more the supply droops when current is pulled from it by the power tubes. The more the supply droops, the spongier the feel.

Cliff - Absolutely nothing wrong with it IMHO! I always used worn out rectifier tubes in my Fender Amps to get the most sag & compression. Actually, I like the sound of worn out tubes in general, from preamp to output. If sheer volume is not an issue, I go with worn out tubes every time....

This reminds me of the time I decided to replace my *original* Super Reverb's tubes with brand new Groove Tubes - although the amp had a bit more volume, the magic was *gone* - seriously, the difference was stark, and I immediately put the original tubes back in the amp, and the smile returned to my face...

Perhaps this could be a new AFX Amp parameter: Tube Age/Efficiency?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Radley said:
Cliff - Absolutely nothing wrong with it IMHO! I always used worn out rectifier tubes in my Fender Amps to get the most sag & compression. Actually, I like the sound of worn out tubes in general, from preamp to output. If sheer volume is not an issue, I go with worn out tubes every time....

I agree with the old tubes preference. Unless a power or rectifier tube dies or makes noise I don't replace it. It never sounds better to me, particularly with my older amps.

That was the first parameter I played with when I received my Axe2 loaded with fw6.02.
I've hardly played with the axe so far, but still I was chasing the spongier feel which lives here.
The other day I upgraded with ver7, and just on the first patch 59 Bassman I played around with several settings including this one, and I was unable to move away from that patch until it became time to switch off and sleep....
One question tho - The shredders out here who have tried these settings might have something - when playing real fast (I still need some to get there) does the high sag/spongier feel settings interfere, like cause some added (intentional) latency?

I love this thread. It exemplifies why the Axe Fx is such a great product. Played live again tonight and was blown away by the sound. Your an artist and craftsman Cliff. You craft tones in the digital domain as lovingly as a luthier manipulates wood.

That was the first parameter I played with when I received my Axe2 loaded with fw6.02.
I've hardly played with the axe so far, but still I was chasing the spongier feel which lives here.
The other day I upgraded with ver7, and just on the first patch 59 Bassman I played around with several settings including this one, and I was unable to move away from that patch until it became time to switch off and sleep....
One question tho - The shredders out here who have tried these settings might have something - when playing real fast (I still need some to get there) does the high sag/spongier feel settings interfere, like cause some added (intentional) latency?

I'm no shredder but it will make the amp feel "slower". "Fast" amps have solid-state rectifiers and stiff supplies.

Back
Top Bottom