If you play bass and guitar, and want a cab that can do it all, check out the...

Very true - either a 12/6 or 12/12/6 would probably work very well and be light/compact to boot.

Interesting info guys! I've been looking for a single cab solution for my Novax Charlie Hunter 8 string + Axe Fx 2, and it appears fEarful cabs are the way to go. Any other ideas?

Barefaced Bass Cabs have some fearful-esque FRFR cabs. Also Acme Bass. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Avatar makes an inexpensive fearful knock-off 3-way design. Those are the most full range offerings I have found through extensive research. Many other bass cabs with tweeters can get you there, and 3 or 4 way designs are even better. Bergantino, Accugroove come to mind.

Interesting info guys! I've been looking for a single cab solution for my Novax Charlie Hunter 8 string + Axe Fx 2, and it appears fEarful cabs are the way to go. Any other ideas?
Definitely make sure you check out Art of Noise's fEARFULLS -they're lighter than all the rest due to composite construction.

Just keep in mind that the damage tolerance of composites is non-existant - you can't really repair them, and failure can be catastrophic - don't bang them around. A buddy of mine recently sold his AON and went back to a conventional plywood one - he really liked the cab but did comment that there were already screws stripping out, and it vibrated all over the place at higher volumes. I think Barefaced is the way to go if you want the absolute lightest weight and still maintain a reasonable degree of durability. The Barefaced cabs use custom plywood (3/8" thick I believe), and I would rather pay the premium for having that shipped stateside than for the composites.

Someone mentioned Accugroove - I believe they are no longer in business.

Just keep in mind that the damage tolerance of composites is non-existant - you can't really repair them, and failure can be catastrophic - don't bang them around. A buddy of mine recently sold his AON and went back to a conventional plywood one - he really liked the cab but did comment that there were already screws stripping out, and it vibrated all over the place at higher volumes. I think Barefaced is the way to go if you want the absolute lightest weight and still maintain a reasonable degree of durability. The Barefaced cabs use custom plywood (3/8" thick I believe), and I would rather pay the premium for having that shipped stateside than for the composites.

Someone mentioned Accugroove - I believe they are no longer in business.

My Art of Noise cab has kevlar reinforcement on all edges and corners (which is a little extra, maybe $100.00). We'll see how they last, but based on experience of friends, I think they'll do fine.

My Art of Noise cab has kevlar reinforcement on all edges and corners (which is a little extra, maybe $100.00). We'll see how they last, but based on experience of friends, I think they'll do fine.

That's cool and a smart move. If you are the one moving your gear and generally take care of it, I agree you should be fine.

Actually, I went to the Art of Noise after Shoreline failed to deliver - kept telling me a week or more. Finally said they could get no response from Accugrooves. I think they're done.

Last time I checked, New Jersey Guitar had a couple of AccuGroove 210L left. I bought one of the last three they had in Feb of this year to go with my AccuGroove El Whappo Jr.

AccuGroove is indeed no more. Shame.

NJ Guitar and Bass

Last edited:
That's cool and a smart move. If you are the one moving your gear and generally take care of it, I agree you should be fine.

My back's worth a lot more to me than a cabinet.

here's what my maker, Robert Hoinsky of Art of Noise said: "I can't address the specific cabinet the poster is referring to, but I can say that if his friend had an issue with his cab then he could have come to us directly and the problem would have been solved. We've had very few issues, but the ones we have had we've taken care of either by repair or refund. Using foam core sandwich composite is brand new to the instrument amplification world. We started into this just over a year ago and each cabinet has brought about a greater understanding and new innovations. For instance, the first cabinets were made from Nidacore, which was premade boards that was easy to work with, but was heavier than we wanted. By necessity, every aspect of constructing a foam core cabinet has to be figured and experimented with to achieve a high quality finished product. Even something as simple as attaching a screw for a handle takes extra special attention.
After all of the cabs we have built, I feel very confident in the quality and durability of the current build process. To say that the cabinets can't take damage and can't be repaired is incorrect. I haven't heard of our cabinets being damaged in use and no one has brought one back for damage repair. Foam core composite use is new to amplification, but it has been used in yachts, race cars, aerospace, and other industries for years. Google "fiberglass repair" + your town and I guarantee you'll find someone capable of repairing the cabinet if it ever is damaged. Even a bath fitter or autobody shop could probably repair one. It really isn't that complicated once the cab is already built. That's besides the point though, since our cabs come with a warranty and like I said, damage to a cabinet is rare.
Each cabinet better than the last is my motto in the shop and it shows with all the improvements we've been making. Such as embedding plywood rings inside the baffle to secure the midrange and woofer screws, using a 2" baffle with recesses for the drivers that allows the grille to be placed flat on it, and if you look at the attached pics you can see our latest improvement which is a seamless fiberglass tweeter horn.
I'm extremely confident in our cabinets and have a lot more improvements in the works that are only going to make the cabs lighter, stiffer, better damped, and more beautiful. "

And here's some pix of my new cabinet in progress, including that sweet one-piece 'glas tweeter horn:

View attachment 11189
View attachment 11190
View attachment 11191

Do you think the much smaller Big Baby would work as well?
If you do not feel like redoing the windows of your house, they may even be the better choice. :D
The Big Twin is of seismic scale ... given that you'd be using two of them for a stereo setup.
Just ask'em, they are incredible responsive.

My back's worth a lot more to me than a cabinet.

here's what my maker, Robert Hoinsky of Art of Noise said: "I can't address the specific cabinet the poster is referring to, but I can say that if his friend had an issue with his cab then he could have come to us directly and the problem would have been solved. We've had very few issues, but the ones we have had we've taken care of either by repair or refund. Using foam core sandwich composite is brand new to the instrument amplification world. We started into this just over a year ago and each cabinet has brought about a greater understanding and new innovations. For instance, the first cabinets were made from Nidacore, which was premade boards that was easy to work with, but was heavier than we wanted. By necessity, every aspect of constructing a foam core cabinet has to be figured and experimented with to achieve a high quality finished product. Even something as simple as attaching a screw for a handle takes extra special attention.
After all of the cabs we have built, I feel very confident in the quality and durability of the current build process. To say that the cabinets can't take damage and can't be repaired is incorrect. I haven't heard of our cabinets being damaged in use and no one has brought one back for damage repair. Foam core composite use is new to amplification, but it has been used in yachts, race cars, aerospace, and other industries for years. Google "fiberglass repair" + your town and I guarantee you'll find someone capable of repairing the cabinet if it ever is damaged. Even a bath fitter or autobody shop could probably repair one. It really isn't that complicated once the cab is already built. That's besides the point though, since our cabs come with a warranty and like I said, damage to a cabinet is rare.
Each cabinet better than the last is my motto in the shop and it shows with all the improvements we've been making. Such as embedding plywood rings inside the baffle to secure the midrange and woofer screws, using a 2" baffle with recesses for the drivers that allows the grille to be placed flat on it, and if you look at the attached pics you can see our latest improvement which is a seamless fiberglass tweeter horn.
I'm extremely confident in our cabinets and have a lot more improvements in the works that are only going to make the cabs lighter, stiffer, better damped, and more beautiful. "

And here's some pix of my new cabinet in progress, including that sweet one-piece 'glas tweeter horn:

View attachment 11189
View attachment 11190
View attachment 11191

I think the cabs are a great option for folks that have real weight limitations, medical or otherwise, and indeed AoN has made a lot of progress dialing in their fabrication methods. I was probably too terse in my intial response, and certainly don't won't to come off as bashing them in any way. Probably misleading saying composites can't repaired as well - some more than others, though as mentioned these materials are fairly well-characterized and lend themselves better than other systems. That said, depending on what and how often something needs to be addressed, it may or may not be cost effective, and may or may not leave some compromises in terms of strength and finished appearance depending on the type and extent of repair. You can also run into problems if damage goes unnoticed or is left unaddressed. It might be worthwhile for AoN to develop and characterize the best methods for repair of their composite so that down the road, in the event that it needs to be done by a third party, it will be done properly. It's a bit premature to say how they will hold up in the long run - in their intended environemnt, they are likely to be subjected to a much higher frequency of direct impacts compared to other applications using similar materials, hence the word of caution when handling - damage will occurr eventually. If you are rough on gear, it's probably not the best choice - everything has a trade-off. Anyway, your cabs look sharp and I hope you enjoy them!

Last edited:
Just an update on AoN - they have been dropped as an authorized fEarful builder for the SECOND time now due to a number of issues including not paying comissions to Greenboy, poor quality and customer service, etc. A guy on the GB forum just received a cab that is an absolute nightmare - proceed with caution.

Back
Top Bottom