If there was one guys that you could play like who would it be

Well maybe yes, but in music I more or less always felt I don't want to play like him or her no matter how much I like them... but I would have loved to be able to play like Laudrup or Zidane - pure poetry.

For myself, I might say Glenn Gould, perhaps mixed with Yo-Yo Ma.

But really I want to play like me. Which is dependent on what I'm playing, though I have some general articulations in mind. Fortunately, I'm getting ever closer with tone crafting. They are completely interdependent for me that is.

And, some discussion on others' posted content:

This guy. Musicality + technicality... guy is a beast. Left us too early.

I was exposed to him around '96, by a guy in a music store who showed me Lane's practice videos. The guy seemed to be talking about Lane like he was already dead....

Anyways, though the video quality may be masking some of the attack, aside from Holdsworth, that there is perhaps the smoothest overall tone I've heard (especially as he's using a bit more gain than Holdsworth).

To come up with memorable solos is the finest chops a player could attain.

I disagree. Soloing is only one aspect of things.

It's amazing how doors open when you play more. I've recently had a burst of time where I've played a bunch more and suddenly things open up that just weren't available a month ago.

The grunt effort method works, and is common - but isn't necessary. I only get better when I have a tone I care for. Then I make leaps.

@Sidivan: 'master' isn't in my vocabulary. I only care about whether it sounds and feels like I want it to.

Be careful about your body's limits. I find the 3 hour thing about true for me. If I practice that much, I find my skills improving and my technique gets to a point where I start to have real creative freedom. An hour a day for me is maintenance.

Much more sensible.

He mentions Holdsworth, and I hear it right off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom