IEM - Sennheiser G4 vs XSW?

Olse

Hello guys,

We use Fractal AXEIII and FM3 our band and we started with use IEM.
Do you have experience with the new in-ear monitoring from Sennheiser XSW? We have Sennheiser G4 and would like two IEM more. We don't have the benefits of G4, like too many options with sw, and so many radio channels. We are looking for the same sound quality as the G4. Can you send me your opinion?

If you stay with all g4's you can link them together and do a freq scan and get it to set everything automatically. it's pretty awesome, 1 person scans, sync's and it then tells the other transmitters to change to open frequencies. G4 really is pro level. If you are mono you can get some more packs and do two mono mixes off one transmitter. I would stick with the G4 if you have the cash. Lots of benefits.

If you stay with all g4's you can link them together and do a freq scan and get it to set everything automatically. it's pretty awesome, 1 person scans, sync's and it then tells the other transmitters to change to open frequencies. G4 really is pro level. If you are mono you can get some more packs and do two mono mixes off one transmitter. I would stick with the G4 if you have the cash. Lots of benefits.
That's really good info. Is mono acceptable or should singers really be on stereo? Also is a antenna combiner necessary for 3 G4 transmitters?

I'm using Shure PSM-900 and very happy for 15 years already, but looking forward to change it for some digital one, I would be glad if someone advice me the same quality in that area!

That's really good info. Is mono acceptable or should singers really be on stereo? Also is a antenna combiner necessary for 3 G4 transmitters?
No from my experience they never use it (stereo panning), and are confused by it. One transmitter can do 2 mono mixes with an additional pack.

Yes antenna combiners are a must once you get past 2 systems. There are lots of RFVenue videos on youtube with him talking about it. I've experienced it first hand too. I just recently purchased this iem combiner which is a sennheiser knock off, it works fantastically. It will also power the g4's off of the BNC connection so no wall warts for the g4's. You just set up the one paddle and life is good.

IEM Combiner

Here is the info about antenna placement, there is a wealth of information in his webinar's. RF Venue

I'm using Shure PSM-900 and very happy for 15 years already, but looking forward to change it for some digital one, I would be glad if someone advice me the same quality in that area!
Digital is tough for IEMS, I don't think the latency is there yet.

i think XSW you can't scan, so you have specific channels you can select, but have no idea if they're clear or not.

the benefit of higher priced IEM systems is the number of available channels, simultaneous channel amount, and the ability to scan for the clearest bands.

any system where you can't scan, you are probably ok, but you'll never know until you start using it. (and yes i know the built-in scan isn't as good as WSM or something, but that's another league).

chances are XSW or similar will be ok, but totally depends on the RF activity at the time.

i've been using the G4 for about a year now and really have no complaints. way better than the shure PSM300 i need to sell - better sound quality, better RF and solid connection.

I'm a Sennheiser believer. I use their G4 IEMs and guitar system. I made my choice based on input from a touring FOH engineer that works with a few of my favorite bands, and who is the FOH engineer at a big club in Seattle where we often play. He said "I spec Sennheiser for wireless gear in my touring systems". That was all I needed to hear. Been flawless, sounds great, and I never have had a signal drop - even when I'm way offstage.

What software do you need for this automatic scan, I have two G3 and one G4 IEM in my band.

What software do you need for this automatic scan, I have two G3 and one G4 IEM in my band.
none, you just network the transmitters together on the back with those ethernet cables, and you use one pack to scan, then sync it with that transmitter, and then it will ask you on the other devices do you want to accept the change.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, sorry that no iOs version is available. I don’t want to carry a laptop just for scanning frequencies. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Oh sorry I misread. Yeah the unit itself does the scanning (the body pack reciever). You can additionally use that computer software for in-depth information and setup.

Systems around $800 and up do the scanning feature by itself generally.

Back
Top Bottom