IEM Mix Input

Guys, can someone check this: Input 2 mutes when tuner is activated:
Here is the preset and global setting.

Input 1 = guitar
Input 2 = analog stereo feed (XLR Inputs)
Output 1 = stereo FoH
Output 2 = stereo inear feed.
Output 3 = Guitar Cab (no cab sim)
View attachment 132479

Also made a small clip.

you can see that the input selection in the tuner tab makes no difference.

I never tried it this way before 24.03. Can someone check? maybee it´s a bug

I have this same issue and have not found a way around it.
The issue this causes for me is - I want to mute my guitar when I put it down (and just sing on some songs with no guitar on).
If I use the tuner/mute - it mutes my IEMs. Have not found a way around that (using the tuner as my mute).

My other option (which I have not done yet, is adding an eq block at the end of 'output 1' and putting the volume to 0.
I could connect that block to a single switch/button - and just turn on the eq (mute output 1), when I put my guitar down.

Hi, I am very new to the Fractal experience, but this is exactly how I want to run live. Can this be setup globally or is it per preset based?
I'm doing it preset by preset.
I'm not sure you could do it globally.

hmm. I´ll post i t as a bug. I´m shure this is not as designed.
I see I'm not the only one who always types in music terms.
(I always type shure instead of sure...lol)

In your screen shot it (and in the front panel), when you chose where to apply the mute, the option (which you chose) was 'input'....not input 1 or input 2, etc. The available options are not that granular.
My guess was that it didn't specify input 1,2,3,4 because it is intended to mute all inputs....thus we can't select which input to mute.
Just a guess....

But I agree, it's not the best design (if it is by design).

I always went out 1 to house , output 2 to a line mixer.
IEM mix (minus my guitar) to Dbx IEM processor,
Dbx IEM processor to line mixer,
line mixer - wireless monitor.

That way no matter what the house does, My guitars sound like I want in my in ears. I can also make volume adjustments w/o effecting the house.

The Dbx IEM processor just gives a more polished sound to the IEM mix with compression, limiting , eq, and a little verb. That really helps keep the drums from masking the IEM mix and glues the vocals together.

on some projects we mix our IEM with an A&H CQ18 and spilt to FOH . That is perfect. Put on some projects i don´t want to carry it around. because get a mix from foh. so had to change to focus mode on the Sennheiser, guitar only mono. etc. etc. A tuner with muting only the output of the input as the selected source would be awesome. i´ll hope my english is not so bad....:)

on some projects we mix our IEM with an A&H CQ18 and spilt to FOH . That is perfect. Put on some projects i don´t want to carry it around. because get a mix from foh. so had to change to focus mode on the Sennheiser, guitar only mono. etc. etc. A tuner with muting only the output of the input as the selected source would be awesome. i´ll hope my english is not so bad....:)
In order to always have a stereo mix, you can take your IEM feed from FOH and send it into Input 2 of your Axe/FM3.
Then mix it into your IEM signal chain within the Axe.
I was doing this (as described above) and adding a stereo enhancer block (in the Axe) to just my IEM feed. This made my mono IEM feed from FOH sound awesome, when it came out of the Axe (and went to my IEM transmitter).

Something else to consider: is it the monitor mix that needs EQ, or is it really your IEMs that need EQ?

An easy way to test is to buy some dongles/cables so you can plug your phone or computer into your AxeFX to hear how recorded music sounds. If it doesn’t sound perfect, then I would work on finding a good EQ and applying that to everything on your IEM output, including your guitar. (Yes, this is how I do my IEM setup).

Once you’ve done that, your guitar tones will probably need some adjustment, but the end result will sound better in the house and everyone else’s IEMs.

Interesting thread! Our band uses a dedicated IEM mixer (Behringer XR18) with a 16 channel splitter - one split to XR18 and other to FOH. The FM9 out1 goes to XR18. Out2 goes to FOH.

This way we control our individual band mix entirely independent of the FOH sound. It was rather costly (all the hardware, cases, etc.)

In reading this thread, it makes me wonder if we could have done this much easier? haha.
Yeah we do the same w a Presonus 32R. We often like to mix ourselves and the best part is consistency. I use the Earmix as well over AVB. Game changer.

A tip for any X32 users.
Instead of using an Enhancer block in the Axe to create a stereo spread for my IEM mix (which is amazing), I tried doing it in the X32 instead (and it works well).
As (to the best of my knowledge) the X32 allows the user of Delay in the first 4 Effects Engines, and I have Engine 1 and 2 dedicated to FOH Verb and Delay....I have 2 Delay Engines available.
I mounted 2 of my band's IEM transmitters in the rack and sent them Aux 1&2 and Aux 3&4.
I created 2 stereo IEM mixes in the X32 and INSERTED FX Engine 3 to my IEM mix and Engine 4 to the other.
I used the Stereo Delay in both FX 3 and 4.
I used the Stereo Delay to create the same stereo spread (I think I went with 15 millisecond delay on one side.
It sounds very similar to the Stereo Enhancer in the Axe (I used Classic Mode in the Axe).

This allows me to just send a mono signal to FOH (from my FM3) and still get a nice wide stereo IEM mix.
And set up is just me pulling my IEM pack out of a case.

If anyone is an X32 Effects expert, I'd love some tips on creating the exact Enhancer block from the Axe (Classic Mode).

I'm doing it preset by preset.
I'm not sure you could do it globally.
Hello,

I do exactly the same thing.

Yes it is possible to manage this globally.

On my block mixer, I put externals controllers, which are controlled by 2 rotary knobs that I tinkered that are in my pedalboard.

Thanks to this, when I modify my IEM/guitar mix, it applies it to all my presets (provided that the block mix is integrated into all my presets!)

I've also blocked these values, in case my pedalboard is not connected in setup/midi remote

In the performer menu, I have also assigned other parameters, which are useful if I am sent a mono or stereo signal, manage the gain etc...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-01-10 à 10.12.17.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-01-10 à 10.12.17.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • Capture d’écran 2024-01-10 à 10.12.42.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-01-10 à 10.12.42.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    884.5 KB · Views: 22
Insert a PEQ block in the "IEM Mix In" chain and use it to adjust the EQ of the mix to your liking. You can boost specific frequencies, cut unwanted noise, and generally tailor the sound to your preferences.

Insert a PEQ block in the "IEM Mix In" chain and use it to adjust the EQ of the mix to your liking. You can boost specific frequencies, cut unwanted noise, and generally tailor the sound to your preferences.
Absolutely. I'm doing this with the Global EQ for the Outputs I'm using for my IEM mix. It's glorious.

utely. I'm doing this with the Global EQ for the Outputs I'm using for my IEM mix. It's glorious.
Hello,

I do exactly the same thing.

Yes it is possible to manage this globally.

On my block mixer, I put externals controllers, which are controlled by 2 rotary knobs that I tinkered that are in my pedalboard.

Thanks to this, when I modify my IEM/guitar mix, it applies it to all my presets (provided that the block mix is integrated into all my presets!)

I've also blocked these values, in case my pedalboard is not connected in setup/midi remote

In the performer menu, I have also assigned other parameters, which are useful if I am sent a mono or stereo signal, manage the gain etc...
I am doing something similar to how you are mixing your monitor feed with your guitar signal. Could you give me some info on why you are sending the guitar feed after the Output1 block rather than splitting the signal before that?

I am doing something similar to how you are mixing your monitor feed with your guitar signal. Could you give me some info on why you are sending the guitar feed after the Output1 block rather than splitting the signal before that?
You're right, there's no point, it's the same thing.

It would be even more "logical" before the Output1 block

I do, but I take the xlr with the monitor mix from the sound guy and plug it into input 1 left. (set it to left only) Put the input 2 block in each preset and route it to your IEM output. Add an EQ between if you want to EQ it. I use output 1 for this, and send the 1/4" left and right to my PSM300 in stereo. So the guitar is in stereo, an the IEM monitor is in mono blended on top. Use the level in the input 2 block to set how loud that is blended on top. Done.
I do the same, but did you say plug the mix into input 1 left? Isn't input 1 your guitar?

You're right, there's no point, it's the same thing.

It would be even more "logical" before the Output1 block
Thanks. I was not intending to come across as there being a right or wrong way to do it so sorry if it came across like that. I was actually hoping there was an advantage that I did not know about to doing that way :tongueclosed:. I am always learning new behavior that I did not know was in the AXE and it just never occurred to me to try to link another block after one of the output blocks.

Back
Top Bottom