IEM gurus, i need help

ToneRanger

Inspired
So,, we use IEMs for practice and shows. Drives me nuts that my rhythm still insists on having a cranked amp in the practice room..

Anyway, issue that im having is that i use several guitars, with Floyds tuned to C standard and Drop Bb. Regardless of how im tickling the red, my drummer is always complaining that when i switch from my standard guitars to drop, he cant hear the guitar anymore. Granted i just found out he had me super low in his mix.

I have my out1 going into the board around 11 on the knob, which i need to back off on the board gain to turn up any more, as my lead sounds clip and my IEM cuts out.

Any idea what might be the issue here. I use primarily EMG pups. When i switch, i don't notice much difference, if any its a clarity issue.

i find i need to reduce bass in IEMs more than i think. it lets the other frequencies come through. i cut bass way too much then slowly bring it back until i have enough cushion.

the speaker/driver is so close to our ear, if too much low end builds up it has nowhere to go and muds up the mix. try reducing bass in his aux send. we really need less than we think compared to big speakers feet away from us.

Throwing a dart in the dark here, but what type IEMs and tips are you and the drummer using? It’s critical, especially with an a-hole insisting on a wailing amp in the room when it’s not necessary. You need to both hear yourself clearly, and block out as much of that jet-engine blast as you can.

The other more obvious tip: tell the drummer to turn you up. :p

Throwing a dart in the dark here, but what type IEMs and tips are you and the drummer using? It’s critical, especially with an a-hole insisting on a wailing amp in the room when it’s not necessary. You need to both hear yourself clearly, and block out as much of that jet-engine blast as you can.

The other more obvious tip: tell the drummer to turn you up. :p
Right on, once i saw his mix, and i turned me up, he was much happier. His ears were like $2k and mine were like 50 but they are better than stock shures. I was just curious why he's getting this weird level difference with similar guitars. could be the brighter ones are cutting more

Right on, once i saw his mix, and i turned me up, he was much happier. His ears were like $2k and mine were like 50 but they are better than stock shures. I was just curious why he's getting this weird level difference with similar guitars. could be the brighter ones are cutting more
Might be. Getting a good seal might be more important than the quality of the IEM (within reason), and can play havoc with EQ of the mix, making some things less audible. If you’ve got that lined out, there shouldn’t be massive differences between signals of similar volume.

Back
Top Bottom