I want to add tubes to my signal. Talk me in or out of this--need experiences

Prosvetlen

Inspired
Recently I developed an urge to add tubes to my Ultra signal and I am considering Rock Block or Effectrode Blackbird. I don't know if I really need tubes in the signal path, but I suspect it will make me feel better (I've had tube amps in the past and now I am concerned that I am missing something). I need your help in this situation of mine: please, provide me with opinions, experiences, criticism, anything, so I can finalize my decision. I still keep an SS amp at home, and sometimes I add it to the signal of my Ultra and it's good. Now I think that I shouldn't have sold my tube amps.

if you feel you need tubes, really what else is there to say? :) i've used the axe direct for 5+ years now, no tube in sight. awesome tone, always complimented (unless i make a terrible setting :p)

if anything, tubes in a power amp or elsewhere will basically act as an EQ and if that EQ makes it sound or feel better to you, then that's what you need.

it's all up to you. if a tube power amp creates the sound you prefer then do it. but the axe ultra, standard, ii, whatever can sound amazing without it too.

It's not easy to explain: a "real" amp in the chain is always something different, even if it's an SS. Again, I can't explain the feeling, but it's different--not better and certainly not worse than the Ultra but different. And it seems to be not 100% replicable through any modeler.

It's not easy to explain: a "real" amp in the chain is always something different, even if it's an SS. Again, I can't explain the feeling, but it's different--not better and certainly not worse than the Ultra but different. And it seems to be not 100% replicable through any modeler.

It's not easy to explain. That sure explains it. You, of course should do what makes you happy, but you readily admit :you cannot explain it, not better, not worse??? A digiatl camera in between the axe and the guitar would make"something different"

All I mean is why worry about something that is not better or worse, but just different.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Just sayin..........not trying to argue, just trying to understand why you wnat something even though you don't know what it is, what it adds or subtracts, etc

Your ears, your tool, your choice.

Sounds like a question being asked in a Tarantino movie....... or Simon Cowell's mantra

IMHO ..... why complicate something that's not complicated? I sold my Mesa Lonestar, JVM410 & 1960A Cab, Egnater Renegade & 4 x 12 cab and have never looked back! The Axe2 sounds great and gives me ANY sound I could want, simple pedal board that requires no AC or wall warts and two K12's. I've had a Fractal unit for the last 2.5 years and have never once considered buying a tube amp or going back to them! If it sounds good to you then it is good! Be happy and keep playing!

The Axe2 sounds great...
The OP is talking about his Ultra.

I have both, Ultra and Axe II. I used my Ultra with a DBX 386 tube preamp. After using it this way for more than a year I decided to test it without the DBX preamp. Maybe I just wanted to know that I have real tubes in my sound path. The difference was very subtle when I tested it alone, without the whole band. The surprise was during the rehearsal, my Ultra sounded dry. That made me to use the Axe II for live also, not only for recording. I had only one rehearsal with the Axe II, I am still in the process of making my patches on Axe II for live. The only conclusion I have so far is that I do not need the DBX anymore.

....... or Simon Cowell's mantra

Ahh, the King of Karaoke
rolleyes.gif

Tricky discussion this. I feel it's perhaps a psychological thing - the absence of tubes means it's not real... but that doesn't mean it's not good and that tubes are needed

There can't be any hard and fast outcome really - it's a wholly personal thing

A while ago, when I was using inferior modelling gear to my Ultra, I often used a Blackstar HT Boost pedal to warm up the sound. The Blackstar is a valve powered boost pedal with high and low outputs. The high is mainly for driving the front end of an amp but the low just adds a bit of valve warmth to the signal. Might be a cheaper option than the Rock Block if you feel you must add tubes.

TBH I've never felt the need with my Ultra but I might just try it to see if it makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom