I test drive the ev's

Galo

Experienced
I tried the speaker yesterday I was really impresses again with its clarity...awesome speaker. But I dont think it would work for me...Must of my gigs are outdoors and the speakers seems to be lacking a little low end. Doesn't surprise me for its size...I'm sure it can be boosted with an eq but I dont want to take chances...So I will wait till they release a 12"...hopefully they will. I'm sure it will work for some so dont knock it till you try it. It might just be what you are looking for.

Adios

I am following Galo on here and TGP :lol:
I got mine from Musicians Friend and it's possible mine was used/open box (even though I bought new). Overall I think it "might" be a very nice FRFR speaker for DJ'ing style stuff, but it did not pair well with my AxeFX at moderately loud volume levels at all. The bass response was just not there (lower strings, Deluxe Reverb patch). My studio monitors (Adam A5's) of course lack bass as well, but they are very balanced to my ears across the entire frequency range so you actually feel like the bass response is correct. On this speaker I felt the bass response was sharply cut above where the lower strings want to boom a little (and I was sure to check if the "sub" setting was engaged or not; it was not engaged even though I tried to both ways anyway).
Honestly, it's too small and light... I know, that sounds crazy but it just didn't seem like it could handle the material the AxeFX was feeding it. At the end of the day I much prefer my studio monitors for home playing at low volumes, so because I can't afford two to replace my studio monitors and (imho) it could never hang with a drummer I don't believe it's a good fit for my situation. YMMV.
I am now firmly convinced that cabinet size and driver size do matter, maybe even moreso for medium volume "in the room" situations. Maybe the K10 would cut it, but at that price I'm not going to bother.
At this point I will be looking back towards the Atomic offerings or a great deal on a FBT Verve 12ma, QSC K12 or even possibly going back to real guitar cab / speaker and giving up some versatility for some really sweet goodness in my "comfort zone".

told ya.. when i heard the beatles having a hard time out of it, i knew guitar chunking was out the window.

Anyone interested in the ZX1's or the ZXA1's needs to go and test them themselves rather than take too much advice from a forum. There are so many variables at play. In my setup and for the kind of music I play, the ZX1's (i've not tried the ZXA1's) sound great with the Axe and with recorded music.

agree!!!

dirtypurple said:
Anyone interested in the ZX1's or the ZXA1's needs to go and test them themselves rather than take too much advice from a forum. There are so many variables at play. In my setup and for the kind of music I play, the ZX1's (i've not tried the ZXA1's) sound great with the Axe and with recorded music.

dirtypurple said:

I agree as well. But I feel like at least offering up personal experiences with the gear discussed on this (and other sites) is beneficial to get a picture of whether a piece of gear may or may not work in any given circumstance. I mean, how many of us bought the AxeFX with absolutely no outside influence, no word of mouth info, etc...?
Take all reviews (including mine) with a grain of salt.
I demo'd the powered EV ZXA-1 monitor. I think for my style of play and the frequencies that I consider important to my tones I was asking too much of such a small package/speaker setup.

Back
Top Bottom