I just got a K12 any EQ tips for High Gain?

I just got a QSC K12 yesterday and this thing is awesome but I'm having a little trouble getting a more raw natural sounding high gain tone. Any EQ tips or trick to get a great hi-gain tone with FRFR? Or maybe you could share one of your patches with me I don't have midi yet so you would have to type it out but I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Global: Power and Cab sim on.
I/O: Analog Front.
Input knob: should tickle the red now and then.

Grid: just an Amp block and Cab block.

Amp: Fryette D120M, Boost on, Drive 3.50, everything else default (maybe turn down the bass somewhat).
Cab: mono HiRes, 4x12 German, SM57 mic.

This should work for starters.

If there's too much high end or low end, add a PEQ after the cab. Set the lowest band to Blocking, at 100 or 120 Hz. Set the highest band to Blocking, for example at 6.1kHz.

Thanks turning the input up a little more helped some but its still not there yet. Mostly with the Palm mutes it just doesn't have that aggressive rough sounding attack, maybe I just need to get used to playing out of a monitor. One thing to add though if I record my guitar listening through my headphones and then play it back on the K12 it still has that raw aggressive sound. But when I play the same patch from my Axe Fx to the K12 it smoothes some of that rawness out. I'm hooking up with an XLR cable going from the Axe's Balanced left output to the K12's line in A. The K12 is set to Line, Flat and Normal

I did a K12 high gain patch that I was really liking. I'll write it down and PM you with the settings later.
Only issue I can see with using my patch is that I use Redwirez....

How do you have your preset arranged?

Try the Oval cab in parallel with the other cab you already have, bring down the level 3db in the oval as that cab will make the preset a bit louder.

emperor_black said:
How about connecting the AFX to K12 using a Instrument cable instead of the XLR?

That will decrease the output level only, should have no effect on the tone.

yek said:
emperor_black said:
How about connecting the AFX to K12 using a Instrument cable instead of the XLR?

That will decrease the output level only, should have no effect on the tone.

To degree... You will hear more noise with the instrument cable with high gain presets even with short runs, XLR FTW.

emperor_black said:

This seems to help with my K12s, as the XLR does not lock...1/4" cables snap into the K12 Input and provide a more secure connection.

Alight well I tried everything today its sounding better but still not exactly how I want it. I guess I need to just stop thinking about how an Amp and Cab sounds and start thinking about a how it sounds through a power amp and monitor. Thanks

favance said:
emperor_black said:

This seems to help with my K12s, as the XLR does not lock...1/4" cables snap into the K12 Input and provide a more secure connection.

Exactly! Same here. Yorkville monitors and the Instrument cable snaps in real well. :D

Strat-O-Matic said:
Alight well I tried everything today its sounding better but still not exactly how I want it. I guess I need to just stop thinking about how an Amp and Cab sounds and start thinking about a how it sounds through a power amp and monitor. Thanks

Try these. 1) If you're not using Redwirez, turn off the mics. Use parametric or a different tonestack to add back some highs. 2) Add a Mixer at the very end and select o/p as 'Mono'. Let me know if these helped. :mrgreen:

emperor_black said:
favance said:
[quote="emperor_black":3lyqt8zz]How about connecting the AFX to K12 using a Instrument cable instead of the XLR?

Exactly! Same here. Yorkville monitors and the Instrument cable snaps in real well. :D

Strat-O-Matic said:

Try these. 1) If you're not using Redwirez, turn off the mics. Use parametric or a different tonestack to add back some highs. 2) Add a Mixer at the very end and select o/p as 'Mono'. Let me know if these helped. :mrgreen:[/quote:3lyqt8zz]
Well the mixer just seemed to add volume but changing the tonestack add some cool different sounds, the more I tweak the more I'm starting to really like it. I've been listening to clips of the Atomics and I think I'm getting very close if not as good already.

Back
Top Bottom