I get sound only from one of the analog outputs. Other is dead.

I get sound only from one of the analog outputs. Updated with PICTURE

Whether this is the balanced or unbalanced out.

When using the SPDIF out, I get an output from both sides.

I am a newbie. Maybe you could help me fix this?

Last edited:
Did you swap and tested all possibilities of cables, speakers, power amp outs ?

hows the headphones? both sides there?

yes I did all the necessary swapping around and definately it is the Axe's output. The one of the two is not giving out signal. The headphones are also missing the one channel.

The only channel playing is the right channel.

I forgot to mention that the problem is only on OUPUT 1. OUPUT 2 and SPDIF sound fine on both channels.

OUTPUT 1 has sound only from the RIGHT channel from both balanced and unbalanced out.

Last edited:
Open the Ultra and check the multipin connectors inside. I had the problem, too. Be careful when opening the lid, the fan's cable is short...

Open the Ultra and check the multipin connectors inside.

Ah yes, I remember Yek mentioning this before:

Give that a try
thumbsup.gif

Did try that all. Nothing happened. I did however check with the multimeter inside, and I noticed that a diode on the left channel (which has the problems) seems to have continuity (tested on the circuit) to both directions. The right channel (which works normally) doesn't show this behavior. Now could this mean a bad capacitor or the diode itself?

I swapped the cables from the motherboard to the panel board (to the potis) between OUPUT 1 and OUTPUT 2 and no fix with that either.

I did a few tests with my multimeter.

2llzmle.jpg

D4 and D16 on their bottom sides are short circuited between each other (they correspond to the channel that doesn't work), whereas D13 and D16 don't behave like that. D4 doesn't measure like a diode while ON the circuit. Its equivalent D16 which is on the right channel that works like a diode while ON the circuit.

The exact same symptoms I notice on D10 and D8 whereas everything seems normal on D20 and D19.

Also the bottom sides of C280 and C270 are short circuited between them. There is an equivalent set of capacitors on the RIGHT channel on the XLR output which cannot be seen on the picture, but the bottom sides of those caps are not short circuited between them.

Unfortunately I do not have the schematics for the unit , nor are they available.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot further since there are no schematics available?

Attachments

• 2llzmle.jpg
    2llzmle.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2
Not me. I am not sure about the previous owner though. I bought it off the forum here, but the seller didn't inform me about this defect. He told me he didn't know.

Last edited:
Saw your inquiry in the support mailbox but I will answer here since a conversation is already happening on this.
I think a tech would really need to look at this. One of the converters could be blown, or it could be something else.
I don't want to start trouble, but I'd take it up with the seller.

UPDATE:

I pulled out D10 out of the circuit, and it is faulty (short circuited). Do you think that this could be causing the problem with the lack of sound in left channel?

Also , what are the characteristics of these diodes? I'd like to buy a same or similar one.

Diode was faulty after all and was causing the problem. It was replaced and the Axe was fixed. Nevertheless I was very dissapointed that the seller didn't let me know about this fault. The transaction left a bad taste in my mouth.

Nice diagnostic work - glad to hear its fixed ..... and yes, that was a cheap shot by the seller if they knew it was faulty before sending it.

Back
Top Bottom