I get feedback when I stop playing on some of my rhythm patches???

It's not fixable but we don't consider it a defect. The amount of gain in that preset is ludicrous. It's unplayable. Combine that with turning the outputs all the way up and invariably there will be some coupling into the internal cabling. If you refuse to turn down the output levels then you'll have to deal with this. Why you refuse to turn down the levels is incomprehensible as the optimum setting of the output level knob is around noon unless you are doing 4CM.

It's not fixable but we don't consider it a defect. The amount of gain in that preset is ludicrous. It's unplayable. Combine that with turning the outputs all the way up and invariably there will be some coupling into the internal cabling. If you refuse to turn down the output levels then you'll have to deal with this. Why you refuse to turn down the levels is incomprehensible as the optimum setting of the output level knob is around noon unless you are doing 4CM.

You're exaggerating. Ludicrous amount of gain? Opinion only. Unplayable? A false fact. Not even close. I play intricate rhythms at live gigs with it. Would you like me to post a video of me playing MegaDeth or Joe Satriani stuff with it, sounding great with no noise (I'll use my active pickup guitar of course)? Just because you're not totally metal and don't like tons of gain does not mean that others don't use settings like this. I know of 2 others just in my area that use just as much as me.

And again, I have to reiterate that the problem doesn't go away until I turn the output1 down to about 50%. It doesn't have to be all the way up. If the problem went away at like 80% output1 volume I wouldn't care as much.

Why I don't want to turn down that far is because on my DAW, monitoring at that level requires messing with the master fader since the signal is a little too quiet. It's annoying and remember, the Ultra did not have this problem. I wish I kept it for recording only.

It it's indeed not fixable, well that sucks.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've been getting feedback that sounds almost exactly the same when playing through my power amp+cab setup, with Output 1 at 50%, no drive pedal, and amp gain between 5 and 6.

Good to know this.

i echo my previous thought: could that amount of gain be used on real amps? modeling allows us to boost everything without the perceived volume. since the axe models real amps, i assume it'd have the same "problems" as real amps. gain is gain.

this takes the discussion to thoughts like "have the axe model amps exactly, but then make these 'problems' go away in the digital realm." sure, and i think there are instances where this already happens. but the physics of gain are the same, real or modeled.

what complicates this is that one guitar does it and other doesn't. i'd hope and think that it'd be the exact same everything substituting equivalent real amps - probably at deafening volumes :)

i'm sure that maxed out gain presets are "playable" to some degree. but from a physics standpoint, too much gain is too much gain. from there, you compromise to make it more playable, which is a completely different discussion.

i echo my previous thought: could that amount of gain be used on real amps? modeling allows us to boost everything without the perceived volume. since the axe models real amps, i assume it'd have the same "problems" as real amps. gain is gain.

this takes the discussion to thoughts like "have the axe model amps exactly, but then make these 'problems' go away in the digital realm." sure, and i think there are instances where this already happens. but the physics of gain are the same, real or modeled.

what complicates this is that one guitar does it and other doesn't. i'd hope and think that it'd be the exact same everything substituting equivalent real amps - probably at deafening volumes :)

i'm sure that maxed out gain presets are "playable" to some degree. but from a physics standpoint, too much gain is too much gain. from there, you compromise to make it more playable, which is a completely different discussion.
Don't care about the real amps scenario. No need to talk about that any more.

I've been using presets just like this for 5 years (4.5 with the Ultra). It didn't happen on the Ultra at all, ever, with roughly equal settings. I'm now thinking about getting that Ultra back. Or I'll just bypass the special sauce (rear input) and say goodbye to the squealing. Or install an active tone knob because that also defeats the squeal.

This patch has "Input drive" is on 5. It's not "maxed out" by any means. More than you would use, fine. It's not "playable to some degree". It's completely playable. I'm tempted to make a video but I could just post a recording that sounds totally fine.

Make a new patch the Axe II sounds nothing like the ultra, using the same settings isnt going to work. Make a new patch, dont have the tubescreamer volume all the way up and make sure u dont clip the input or output.

Cant go wrong, i had this feedback thing when i first tried to make a patch, then i deleted it and made another one, people have explained everything you need to know on here man. Let go of your patch

Make a new patch the Axe II sounds nothing like the ultra, using the same settings isnt going to work. Make a new patch, dont have the tubescreamer volume all the way up and make sure u dont clip the input or output.

Cant go wrong, i had this feedback thing when i first tried to make a patch, then i deleted it and made another one, people have explained everything you need to know on here man. Let go of your patch

It's not "a patch". I have like 15 lead / rhythm patches and they ALL have this problem on the 2XL. I like the way the TS alters the tone of the amp (more gain), so I'm not changing it. It's not "the same settings as the Ultra" of course. But it sounds similar. I'm not clipping input or output, I've said that several times.

By the way, here's a recording with this Engl patch we've been saying is too much gain.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40293802/theStand.mp3

Doesn't sound "unplayable" in the slightest. It sounds killer! Except that I can't turn it up past 50% output1. Anyway, time to use rear input I guess.

Even if Cliff doesn't consider it a defect (I do), it's still a downgrade in functionality from the Ultra.

Last edited:
The input gate on the preset is crazy, bring down the ratio and up the threshold, and bringing the volume down of the TS ever so slightly till the 'really fast instant of squeal' disappears doesnt hardly effect the tone at all, not when you have that much gain already on the amp

Last edited:
Listening to that it sounds to me like you're going for an Iron Maiden style tone. I bet they use a lot less gain than you might think though, have a listen to these for example and notice how you can still hear a lot of pick and string attack. That seems to be almost entirely missing from the tone you have which sounds a bit over compressed and muddy to me (most likely because of your gain settings).

guys.. I first encountered years ago with the 2120.. I can get this high pitched squeal with the Axe-II, VG-99 and the 2120..
they all do it when there is a lot of gain plus a distortion / overdrive / compressor
it's like you're making the unit feedback within itself..
it'll even squeal like this when you monitor through headphones..

the only solution I've found is to dial back the gain.. and that don't mean no longer having a hi-gain tone..
just that there are limits to how far things can be dirtied and / or compressed..

also, a very long and strong reverb, delay and / or extreme EQ settings will aggravate the problem further

guys.. I first encountered years ago with the 2120.. I can get this high pitched squeal with the Axe-II, VG-99 and the 2120..
they all do it when there is a lot of gain plus a distortion / overdrive / compressor
it's like you're making the unit feedback within itself..
it'll even squeal like this when you monitor through headphones..

the only solution I've found is to dial back the gain.. and that don't mean no longer having a hi-gain tone..
just that there are limits to how far things can be dirtied and / or compressed..

also, a very long and strong reverb, delay and / or extreme EQ settings will aggravate the problem further

digital or real, there is a limited dynamic range. once you pass it, the only to "fix" it is go back.

You should probably stop comparing the behavior of the XL to that of the ultra. They have nothing in common besides the name Axe FX. Different hardware, software, models, everything. Every system has its limits. The preset posted does have way more gain than I would personally use but that's just my opinion.

The input gate on the preset is crazy, bring down the ratio and up the threshold, and bringing the volume down of the TS ever so slightly till the 'really fast instant of squeal' disappears doesnt hardly effect the tone at all, not when you have that much gain already on the amp
Yeah I don't use the gate, but I'll turn the radio down to 1/1 so it does nothing. I'll mess around and see what it sounds like with less volume on the drive pedal. Not sure how much volume has to be removed there to eliminate the squeal or what it sounds like without it. I may just use the rear input with my passive guitars.

I'll do a recording and see what the different in tone is between the front and rear inputs.

Listening to that it sounds to me like you're going for an Iron Maiden style tone. I bet they use a lot less gain than you might think though, have a listen to these for example and notice how you can still hear a lot of pick and string attack. That seems to be almost entirely missing from the tone you have which sounds a bit over compressed and muddy to me (most likely because of your gain settings).

Love Iron Maiden! But they don't use enough gain for my tastes. I really dislike grainy sounds that occur with less gain (such as AC / DC). If that's the most gain an amp could provide, I probably wouldn't be a guitarist. Yes Maiden has more than them, but not enough for a gainiac like me. Ha!

I go for tone even more distorted such as Symphony X, Cloudscape, Silent Force. Stuff like that. The distortion I use may be more compressed, but it's not muddy in any way (the muddy remark borders on lunacy when I read it) - according to my definition of the word (hard to make out what is being played). It sounds super clear to me. I've dialed up plenty of muddy sounds, but I don't record with them. I don't place much important on dynamics in the volume sense on heavy guitar. A song can be dynamic but the guitar rhythm doesn't need to be.

There does come a point where you have too much distortion and things get very noisy, but I stop short of that where it occurs to my ears.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom