I don't suppose the Atomic FR will have a "dock" for the Axe

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
I don't suppose the Atomic FR will have a "dock" for the Axe, will it?

Has there been any talk about this anywhere on the forums?

From what i remember in the available videos of the prototype (utube), it looks more or less like a normal combo amp, so there's no "dock" for the Axe.. this would have to be a 2HU 19" rack space anyways..

No dock. Yet.
However I think that is a good thing. I had a Vetta combo that was nigh impossible to carry because of the weight and shape of the thing. Many a time I wished I had gone for the head/cab. Head in one hand, cab in the other, perfect balance. BTW, I believe from the pictures the Atomic FR might not be deep enough to house the AxeFX and plugs sticking from the back. It would mean a much deeper cab. or the Axe sticking out the back...

Now I totally see the advantages too. It's handy to just plug in and play. But for carrying I hated that Vetta.

But the only extra work is that it needs a cable from the Axe to the cab and another power lead. That's all. There are other advantages to having the Axe-FX in a seperate rack. Hang the Axe in a rackbag from one shoulder, midi pedal in a bag on the other shoulder, guitarbag on the back, an atomic in each hand... complete stereo system in one go. Nice squat legs workout if you need to go up stairs included for free. :lol:

You could always duck tape a 2he rack(bag) to the top. Or go all carpenterish and build a flame maple/cane mesh grill supercab. If necessary upside down L shaped when seen from the side?

Hot fer Dama

Dutch said:
No dock. Yet.
However I think that is a good thing. I had a Vetta combo that was nigh impossible to carry because of the weight and shape of the thing. Many a time I wished I had gone for the head/cab. Head in one hand, cab in the other, perfect balance. BTW, I believe from the pictures the Atomic FR might not be deep enough to house the AxeFX and plugs sticking from the back. It would mean a much deeper cab. or the Axe sticking out the back...

Now I totally see the advantages too. It's handy to just plug in and play. But for carrying I hated that Vetta.

But the only extra work is that it needs a cable from the Axe to the cab and another power lead. That's all. There are other advantages to having the Axe-FX in a seperate rack. Hang the Axe in a rackbag from one shoulder, midi pedal in a bag on the other shoulder, guitarbag on the back, an atomic in each hand... complete stereo system in one go. Nice squat legs workout if you need to go up stairs included for free. :lol:

You could always duck tape a 2he rack(bag) to the top. Or go all carpenterish and build a flame maple/cane mesh grill supercab. If necessary upside down L shaped when seen from the side?

joegold said:

I asked Tom this a couple of months back and he said "no", that the form-factor/ergonomics of the Fratomic works better without trying to accommodate the AFX.

tlainhart said:
joegold said:

I asked Tom this a couple of months back and he said "no", that the form-factor/ergonomics of the Fratomic works better without trying to accommodate the AFX.

Thanks. I was just curious.

I also think they intend to market the fratomic to more than just axe-fx users. Additionally they would need to manufacture one with a dock and one with out for the stereo crowd. That increases time to release, price of development, price to of unit for additional hardware. I also like having the unit away from the amp for tweaking at volume.

Back
Top Bottom