I dont get what all the complaining is about...

harsh

Inspired
I've seen so many posts about people not liking ver. 10. I really dont get it! My tone has become even more realistic since i upgraded to ver. 10. Obviously, people should understand that with new features and parameters, their old settings would be affected, and your tone would change. Just start from scratch, use your ears and tweak. If you're happy with your old settings and think its the ultimate tone for you, don't upgrade your firmware.

Not trying to pick any arguments here - just feeling baffled by how many people are floored by the sheer awesomeness of their new tones while some people dont seem to get on with them at all :?

I am not trying to pick fights either. what you say works for me - for the most part at east. But some Axe users are working musicians with 20,30,40 patches, all with different amps and cabs. 'Starting from scratch'' for them is a major undertaking.

This has often been the situation for some regards major firmware changes.

OTOH, IMHO, it's less likely to occur in the future... otherwise, MIMIC hasn't done its job, which it has, so it won't.

OP is Exactly right ! starting from scratch is the key!! Was for me anyway! I couldn't be happier with what v10 has achieved!! I too grumble a bit at times when I have to redo ,but it's worth it !!! Realisticly 10 or 12 patches with different effect options is all I've found I need, for live performance nobody but you will know if you have 40 different amps or 10 good ones! I can't imagine trying to manage 30 or 40 patches! Whew!! I'd pull my hair out!! Oh wait I allready did that!!!:)!!!

This has often been the situation for some regards major firmware changes.

OTOH, IMHO, it's less likely to occur in the future... otherwise, MIMIC hasn't done its job, which it has, so it won't.

+1

I think a lot of the problem people are having is that a lot of the IRs were remixed for v10 but not renamed! When I originally loaded v10 I went to use my fav stock cab IR and it sounded very different than it had in the past. Since I didnt realize that the IRs had been remixed, I assumed it was a drastic change in the amp modelling. That definitely threw me for a loop at first.

My .02

V10 sounds very much like the raw sound of a mic in front of a speaker cab. If you are used to the in-room sound of an amp or the polished recorded tones of your favorite recordings, this raw sound sounds like noisy fizz to you. We now have to think more like sound engineers than we've had to in the past to get the final tone we want.

Sound engineers typically use multiple mics in different positions & mix them to get the EQ they want and usually put some compression on those mics. If that doesn't get them what they want, they'll add EQ.

I'm trying to rely on the producer mix IRs now to take advantage of the knowledge the people who created them. Cliff repeatedly says that IRs are going to be the key thing to focus on in the future. I'm hoping more studios will create more IR mixes to help us get those polished final mix type of tones we want with less effort, but for now I think the key is to approach the sound that comes out of the Cab block like it is a raw signal out of a mic & think like a sound engineer from there.

But some Axe users are working musicians with 20,30,40 patches, all with different amps and cabs. 'Starting from scratch'' for them is a major undertaking.

If it's too much of a burden, then they simply shouldn't upgrade.

Firmware gets updated because of improvements. Improvements imply changes. Anyone who doesn't want changes simply should stick with what's working for them rather than complain about how the improvements created a lot of work for them. Anyone who feels FW10 isn't an improvement should revert and quit complaining.

We are not complaining. Please don't frame the discussion that way it tends to minimize the opposite opinion to yours.

Rather, there is a substantial group of players that find that the new firmware has both positives, and some negative qualities to the tones produced.

Its important that issues with how the unit sounds is freely expressed so that Cliff and team can get an outside perspective on how the unit is received and sounds to people outside the bubble of production.

Personally, I've found that the raw tones of the new firmware are amazing. there really is some special vibe to SOME of the sounds, but there is also a base character that seems to be added to the entire feel and sound of the axe-fx that makes for distant sounding patches that seem to have less low-mid push and a problem cutting in the mix. The AxeFx sounds more real in a bedroom setting, but cranked up in a gig environment there are lots of frustrating issues that I've been trying to work out for weeks now. I've not given up, and I'll continue to experiment, but right now, I have to use FW7.0 at my live gigs because of the distracting issues I've run into.

We are not complaining. Please don't frame the discussion that way it tends to minimize the opposite opinion to yours.

Rather, there is a substantial group of players that find that the new firmware has both positives, and some negative qualities to the tones produced.

Its important that issues with how the unit sounds is freely expressed so that Cliff and team can get an outside perspective on how the unit is received and sounds to people outside the bubble of production.

Personally, I've found that the raw tones of the new firmware are amazing. there really is some special vibe to SOME of the sounds, but there is also a base character that seems to be added to the entire feel and sound of the axe-fx that makes for distant sounding patches that seem to have less low-mid push and a problem cutting in the mix. The AxeFx sounds more real in a bedroom setting, but cranked up in a gig environment there are lots of frustrating issues that I've been trying to work out for weeks now. I've not given up, and I'll continue to experiment, but right now, I have to use FW7.0 at my live gigs because of the distracting issues I've run into.

Tyler, I've found my experience gigging to be 180 degrees counter to yours. Everything cuts better, everything sits more dynamically and I find that I'm playing 'into' my tones more as a result.

No debate, no arguing and not dismissing any other opinion or experience. Just experiencing an absolutely different perception than you are. And I am speaking from stage/gigging/live experience, not bedroom playing so we are on the same page in terms of what we are talking about.

obviously new cab ir's were added but i wasn't aware the original ones were changed. is this correct?
I think a lot of the problem people are having is that a lot of the IRs were remixed for v10 but not renamed! When I originally loaded v10 I went to use my fav stock cab IR and it sounded very different than it had in the past. Since I didnt realize that the IRs had been remixed, I assumed it was a drastic change in the amp modelling. That definitely threw me for a loop at first.

FWIW, i think there is something to be said regarding the types of music and guitars played. I play in a 10 piece soul/funk/wedding band with vintage single coil strats. This isn't the norm on this forum.

Either way, its just different ears hearing different things at this point. As Mentioned, I haven't given up, but this firmware has created a lot of long nights of tweaking with no good payoff. its been a bit frustrating, and I'm not sure what I can do, but I'm still hacking away at it.

To be honest, I run about 12 patches live, and I've been able to make about 6-8 of them as good or WAY better then my FW7.0... but those last 4-6 patches are a problem.

Tyler, I've found my experience gigging to be 180 degrees counter to yours. Everything cuts better, everything sits more dynamically and I find that I'm playing 'into' my tones more as a result.

No debate, no arguing and not dismissing any other opinion or experience. Just experiencing an absolutely different perception than you are. And I am speaking from stage/gigging/live experience, not bedroom playing so we are on the same page in terms of what we are talking about.

Last edited:
I've loved every upgrade but with each one I've had to adjust something. Amps I hated, now I love and amps I always used maybe I don't use as much. Regardless, I've always felt like the overall unit tone has improved. Just more work for everyone. :)

There is one thing I really find weird about all those discussions: If you (not addressing anybody in special here) don't like the sound of v10,and you think that whatever previous firmware sounded perfect, why upgrade??? Simply stay with the firmware you like most and be happy. Let's just compare this whole thing to real amps. Let's assume you own an amp that you really love, that delivers your tone perfectly, would you take this amp to somebody to have it tweaked or modded? I wouldn't! I would keep the amp exactly as it is, why change something that is perfect in my opinion? With the Axe FX we have the freedom to check all those new options with every new firmware, but hey, if we don't like what we hear, we can easily go back to what we had, we are not modding the hardware.
I also think that a lot of people today are not used to playing with a real tube amp, they don't really know what for example a cranked up tripple Rectifier sounds like. They are used to modeled versions, idealised versions of those amps. Polished versions. Well, the real amp doesn't sound polished at all. That's why a more realistic amp (in the Axe fx) sounds worse to them as a previous version.

The Old IRs were Remixed? Didn't know that, nor heard it before now!!

Totally Agree Scott!!!

...If you (not addressing anybody in special here) don't like the sound of v10,and you think that whatever previous firmware sounded perfect, why upgrade??? Simply stay with the firmware you like most and be happy. ...

I may stay with FW7.0, but there is a lot of reasons to stick with new firmware upgrades:

•*New amps
•*New Cabs
•*New effects
•*New features (scenes)
• Improved CPU usage
•*Faster MFC101 switching
• Etc...

Also, no one ever said previous FW are "perfect" I can personally tell the realism and tonal improvement of FW10, but there is something odd that I can't put my finger on yet. Its probably why I've become so vocal. I can hear the FW10 improvement, and I want to have that for my live tone...but when I get done making a patch that I like, I always switch back to FW7 to A/B and the new patch falls short...

The Old IRs were Remixed? Didn't know that, nor heard it before now!!

From Fractal Audio:

"IMO, much of what people are hearing as different are the new cabinet models. Many of the factory cab IRs were remixed for V10. I've been contemplating asking Mike at Redwirez if I can issue the old mixes as user downloads."

Ditto
I agree
I hear myself cutting through so much better. Better bottom end too. Especially Plexi and Jcm 800.
My 2 CLR active wedges also help!! Sounds can be dialled in with great accuracy especially compared to my studio monitors which are very accurate ATC100A
It's the best live playing experience I've had so far in my 35+ years playing

Back
Top Bottom