I don't get it....

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Let's say you arrived at your perfect tone in an earlier firmware version. New firmware comes out, you love some of the new features, the fact that you have a working Axe-Edit, etc. and you don't want to revert. But, something's off. Maybe things seem too bright or dark (or a million other possibilities). Simply turning a knob won't always get you back where you want to be. Sculpting the ideal tone is incredibly complex and every variable affects another. For example, let's say things are overly bright. You try turning down presence. Helps, but no cigar. Maybe the presence control isn't affecting all the necessary frequencies that need tamed. Or, the frequencies it does affect are causing changes in your perception of other frequencies. Finding that perfect tone is IMO based on 25% knowledge of how to get there and 75% luck. Some people get kind of pissed when what they've worked so hard to achieve doesn't seem to be achievable any longer.

Yes great post! totally agree. Most people here have spend many hours trying to make the best sound as they can. If your perfect sound gets changed each FW update and you have to go to every preset again to make it sound right that is a PITA. Also you might not find that sweet spot again. It takes a lot of your valuable time just tweaking to make it sound right again. Valuable time that you can also spend on playing guitar instead of tweaking knobs and solving new FW problems. That's one of the reasons I didn't update for a long time. Didn't want to go through that process with each FW update. That and because of unstable Axe Edit after FW6 or so.

I'm sure this will offend some, but it just irks me. Everytime there is in a update there is a FLOOD of the same types of posts, all seeming like their guitar rig world is falling down on them......but most of the time an adjustment here or there is all that is needed. It's like people expect their presets to stay EXACTLY the same no matter what. You know what,

if it's louder...TURN IT DOWN

if it's too bright...DARKEN IT

if it's too dark...BRIGHTEN IT

if it seems like there is more gain...TURN THE GAIN OR INPUT TRIM DOWN

if it lacks bass...TURN UP THE BASS

etc....

I just don't get it.

If that doesn’t help, don’t update.

Geeess…what’s the point of an update if nothing changes (unless it’s just debuggin)?

I'm sure this will offend some, but it just irks me. Everytime there is in a update there is a FLOOD of the same types of posts, all seeming like their guitar rig world is falling down on them......but most of the time an adjustment here or there is all that is needed. It's like people expect their presets to stay EXACTLY the same no matter what. You know what,

if it's louder...TURN IT DOWN

if it's too bright...DARKEN IT

if it's too dark...BRIGHTEN IT

if it seems like there is more gain...TURN THE GAIN OR INPUT TRIM DOWN

if it lacks bass...TURN UP THE BASS

etc....

I just don't get it.

I try to help if I can (if I got some workarounds). It's not that easy you think of. We should help each other.....if it irks you, then don't answer! Simple.....
And no - it's not bitching, some people are just less experienced than others.

Just for lack of low end (or bass), there were more than 20 different parameters to introduce more bass, all different how they would affect the components in a signal chain. If you're a basic GBMTM-guy, the 100+ parameter on the amp block of an axefx looking very complex. For those more experienced users among us, we should help the newbies. If it's annoying for you - don't post an answer - ignore it!

Cheers and have a nice WE
Paco

I don't mind the people asking for help or pointing out problems, but I do have a problem with the way that people act so shocked that a firmware update changes their tone in some way. If it didn't than it wouldn't be an update. If the sound or tone never changed we'd all be using v1.0 still and I think that most of us agree that the struggles have been worth the current result.

If its perfect then why do you need the new features? ;)

Id think because while their TONE is perfect, there are other improvements with FW updates - such as AE3 which isnt compatible with pre 11 FW versions. There may also be new amp models that these users want to try, or have owned and want a patch based on it purely for personal (rather than band/music) reasons.

Yes it is a PITA when your perfect presets get altered by a firmware update. But it's great too, because the realisation dawns that your perfect presets weren't all that, and after more tweaking everything improves immeasurably. The best thing about this box are the endless possibilities. Now with a stable Axe-Edit, I'm tweaking like a loon, for better or for worse, because the tweak/noodle cycle isn't very musical, and annoys my wife. I love it though!

Yes it is a PITA when your perfect presets get altered by a firmware update. But it's great too, because the realisation dawns that your perfect presets weren't all that, and after more tweaking everything improves immeasurably. The best thing about this box are the endless possibilities. Now with a stable Axe-Edit, I'm tweaking like a loon, for better or for worse, because the tweak/noodle cycle isn't very musical, and annoys my wife. I love it though!

Agreed. My 6 or so 'go to' presets changed, but I redid the tweaking from the ground up and now they sound tons better. I even compared against old recordings. Much more depth and response in the tone.

Except one patch that still sounds a little pasty.... I am having trouble finding the 'unpaste' knob... ;)

There's still some bugs that are to be found and some are already found and fixed. Audio related bugs and changes among them.
Even though the beta team did a lot of work (thx again!) they could never try all configurations the users do and try everything the users might try.
You call it whining or bitching and the are some that do bitch for sure,
but you could think that there are also some that just try how it changed and how it works and do exchange their expiriences.
That needs to be done, don't you think?

For me every time there is a major FW upgrade I always wait till i have at least a week or so in between gigs to upgrade, and usually just start all my presets from scratch, so I've never had to complaint.. :) I haven't upgraded to 11 yet, but will do it as soon as possible, but I upgraded an Axe II for a a friend and got to mess a round with FW 11 for a while and loved it. My presets aren't complicated, but I can understand some people with very complicated patches being upset, but ya, just adjust whatever doesn't sound right to your ear.

I used to be cautious. But now I just load the new FW in. It's always sounded better than the previous so until an upgrade sounds worse (pigs might fly), that's what I'll continue do.

For gigging it's always in any case sensible to audition patches during sound check and adjust. If you're using lots of Song Mode patches for a live set, then provided you use Global amp and other important settings, it's not going to take much longer with a new FW.

But I don't backup save my upgraded system and patches to the Axe until I'm happy... Which saves any last-minute gig meltdown.

Those moments of discovery with a new FW are more than worth any complications/adjustments. FW11 has given much joy!

Back
Top Bottom