I am looking for a good electric piano for home use

timely, on my Instagram feed Native Instruments just announced release of new S series keyboards. go figure. uggggggh. must resist. aftertouch is now standard...that's the one thing I'm missing on mine
Isn't there always something new. Sigh. One of my ongoing confusions on the Fractal stuff. I have the FM3 and really wish I had bought the AXE III. Now I wonder if I buy an AXE III will a newer model be released soon after!

FWIW, my experience with Keyscape has been extremely gratifying, from great Rhodes to Grand Pianos, with much more..
whatever you choose, strongly recommend a keyboard with MIDI .
It is something to think about for sure. I think regrdless I am going to the local piano store today to get hands on and factor what I learn into my decision.

Have you think about Korg or Yamaha synths / keyboards?

I have Korg Pa4X and that is very nice, works alone and works as midi keyboard with computer.
Also think about computer and different programs that suits to you (I have Studio One 3 and FL Studio 21 with all virtual synths.

If you want standalone keyboard/midi keyboard then Korg and Yamaha have nice models and also many other brands.
With computer there is also lots of virtual synths (one of best is Omnisphere that I also have).

Last edited:
If you're uncertain, that's all the more reason to get a separate midi keyboard and virtual instrument. That makes it easier to change your mind later and replace one or the other. You can't go wrong with a Komplete Kontrol A61. Five octave semi-weighted with good feel and quality for under $300.

I was wondering how they got so cheap…

And then I got an email asking if I want to buy the new one… lol

No reason to upgrade yet … solid controller, (but not if you want piano like feel)

Went to the local piano store today. They are a Yamaha dealer primarily. The P-515 was out of stock, but they had two pianos that were really nice, comparably priced, but very different in terms of features. They are as follows:
Yamaha Clavinova CLP725
Yamaha P-S500

If this is the direction I go, and I am interested as I could then buy locally, which I prefer, I lean towards the P-S500. I need to research a bit more but would this support integration with Keyscape and DAW's like Reaper? Also, the sales person was advising buying an iPad to use with it but I am not sure if that is required or not.

I need to give this thought as compared to a midi keyboard like the Native Instruments.

Went to the local piano store today. They are a Yamaha dealer primarily. The P-515 was out of stock, but they had two pianos that were really nice, comparably priced, but very different in terms of features. They are as follows:
Yamaha Clavinova CLP725
Yamaha P-S500

If this is the direction I go, and I am interested as I could then buy locally, which I prefer, I lean towards the P-S500. I need to research a bit more but would this support integration with Keyscape and DAW's like Reaper? Also, the sales person was advising buying an iPad to use with it but I am not sure if that is required or not.

I need to give this thought as compared to a midi keyboard like the Native Instruments.
Yes, the USB midi on p s500 will allow you to access your computer , daws and Keyscape, IPad not required but nice to have.

Yes, the USB midi on p s500 will allow you to access your computer , daws and Keyscape
What is the general opinion with something like th p-s500 in terms of buying the stand and pedals? I am just learning so it seems the pedals might not have a lot of use in the near term but maybe longer term?

I love my Studio Logic SL88 Grand with their specific pedal. The weighted keys feel great. It's just a midi controller, so no sounds. But I have a bunch of VSTs that I use with it via midi over usb

I love my Studio Logic SL88 Grand with their specific pedal. The weighted keys feel great. It's just a midi controller, so no sounds. But I have a bunch of VSTs that I use with it via midi over usb
Looks like there are two of them, one around $450 and one around $999. Which one are you referring to?
And now my decision making process is boiling down to midi vs. smart digital piano. This is what I have to research further and decide.

Can't go wrong with a midrange yamaha digital piano. Their CLP series is good.
They do look nice, even the entry level Clavinova but I think it might be closer to a pure upright piano and I just need to decide if that is the direction I want to go in. At this point I am thinking probably not, but still undecided.

Looks like there are two of them, one around $450 and one around $999. Which one are you referring to?
And now my decision making process is boiling down to midi vs. smart digital piano. This is what I have to research further and decide.
"midi vs. smart digital piano"

Those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Hi Spudman,
No worries at all - I should add that they have midi ports too, so you can use them as a controller for whatever sounds take your fancy. What I like about them, is that they appear to have had serious design influences from piano players, so the feel and play very well.
My friend and I went out to buy digital pianos - she got a midrange Yamaha clip, and I got a high range Casio - still kicking myself because hers is so much better in all aspects.

Thanks
Pauly

They do look nice, even the entry level Clavinova but I think it might be closer to a pure upright piano and I just need to decide if that is the direction I want to go in. At this point I am thinking probably not, but still undecided.

"midi vs. smart digital piano"

Those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
I guess in my limited knowledge my understanding was the Native Instruments Komplete Controller is a midi keyboard controller, and something like the Yamaha P-S500 is a Smart Digital Piano. Is that not correct? One has more of an internal sound engine, one relies on external inputs for sounds?

Back
Top Bottom