Bug? Huge volume spike

InsideOut

Power User
Trying the presets that Burgs was kind enough to share. I've attached the one I had the issue with. I was on Scene 7, changed cab to channel C and then back to B and the volume exploded and about blew my eardrums out in my headphones (my wife heard it over the TV from across the room - yeah it was freakin loud). I can not reproduce it. It only happened once, but now I'm paranoid about using my phones. The only thing of note is cab channel C is legacy and B is dyna cab, but that's never caused this for me before. I had the preset leveling tool open at the time and the meters pegged.

New FM9 Turbo Mk II
FW 6.00
Latest FM9 edit version
Macbook Pro

Attachments

• GainBeasts2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
If you're really worried I guess this may be an ideal case to use a compressor as a limiter and hopefully save you a few dB...?

If you don't have the blocks or CPU you could put a small hardware compressor in the loop (if you still want it to work for headphones). I know I would feel a little safer.

This just happened again but on the FM3 this time. Working on FM3 edit- in the cab block. Tried again (unsuccessfully) to add a library selection to channel D. When I went back to channel C, the volume exploded. This is serious and I wish someone at FAS would acknowledge that someone will look at this. Again, it happened on FM9 AND FM3 while cruising around the cab block.

I’ll take a look when I get home. I’ve been cruising around the cab block a lot this week and nothing like that happened though.

I’ll take a look when I get home. I’ve been cruising around the cab block a lot this week and nothing like that happened though.
Have you ever tried to add a library item to channel D? It does not work for me on either FM9 or FM3. Seems like it may be related, because it's never happened when I switch from A to B to C. Only D (after it not loading the library file) back to C.

Have you ever tried to add a library item to channel D? It does not work for me on either FM9 or FM3. Seems like it may be related, because it's never happened when I switch from A to B to C. Only D (after it not loading the library file) back to C.
no, your previous post was the first time mentioning loading from a Libarary.

i'll check it out.

Trying the presets that Burgs was kind enough to share. I've attached the one I had the issue with. I was on Scene 7, changed cab to channel C and then back to B and the volume exploded and about blew my eardrums out in my headphones (my wife heard it over the TV from across the room - yeah it was freakin loud). I can not reproduce it. It only happened once, but now I'm paranoid about using my phones. The only thing of note is cab channel C is legacy and B is dyna cab, but that's never caused this for me before. I had the preset leveling tool open at the time and the meters pegged.

New FM9 Turbo Mk II
FW 6.00
Latest FM9 edit version
Macbook Pro
i loaded this preset on an FM3. it seems saved on FM9, so i had to rearrange the blocks (out 1 was top left not connected.

changing to Scene 7, the Amp block is off, so the volume is much louder than the loading Scene.

changing from C to B to C etc. doesn't change any levels for me. putting the amp on and repeating that doesn't change anything either.

any reason the Amp block was off in Scene 7 when loading?

i loaded this preset on an FM3. it seems saved on FM9, so i had to rearrange the blocks (out 1 was top left not connected.

changing to Scene 7, the Amp block is off, so the volume is much louder than the loading Scene.

changing from C to B to C etc. doesn't change any levels for me. putting the amp on and repeating that doesn't change anything either.

any reason the Amp block was off in Scene 7 when loading?
Well, I guess I wasn't specific enough again :(. It wasn't the attached preset when it happened on the FM3, so it may very well not translate without needing to be rearranged. However, the fact that it happened on both units, using different presets means that the phenomenon is not preset-specific. Also, when it happens, it's not an amp level issue - the meters peg and sound blasts even when I'm not playing. Did you try loading a library file to cab channel D? Sometimes that works on the first try, but then doesn't work from that point on, and then changing back to another channel is what seems to trigger it.

I attached a screen recording of the cab channel D not loading properly from library in this thread linked below, however I haven't been able to capture the volume spike. Obviously I could be wrong, but they seem related because that's the only thing I've found in common.

screen capture

Last edited:
If I understand what I'm looking at in that video there are some library files loading properly, and then some that don't. It looks like the legacy style files didn't load. (Is there an audio description with this? I couldn't find any sound)
Seems to me you should provide those cabinet channel library files here at least, or forward to support@fractalaudio.com if you want to create an official support case.

If I understand what I'm looking at in that video there are some library files loading properly, and then some that don't. It looks like the legacy style files didn't load. (Is there an audio description with this? I couldn't find any sound)
Seems to me you should provide those cabinet channel library files here at least, or forward to support@fractalaudio.com if you want to create an official support case.
Thanks for the reply. What it shows is in channel C I can load either legacy or dyna cab from the library, but when I go to channel D, the same library files do not load properly. I can try to do it again with audio and post it here. And now twice, after doing this exercise, when I go back to channel C I get the volume blast... but not every time. I know that's not much help, but it's not in my imagination either :)

Here are my library files . Working on uploading a screen capture with audio, but I'm out of town and upload speed is crawling.

Attachments

• Fried GB V30_20230430_151338.blk
    1.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Friedman HBE-100_20230731_160419.blk
    1.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Highway to Hell_20230812_193623.blk
  • Hos Down III_20221219_170317.blk
    1.1 KB · Views: 1
  • JD GoT 2023 FM3_20231219_144453.blk
  • JP Awake_20230909_171703.blk
It's worth mentioning that the cab files I attached above are just the ones in my video. This channel D loading issue happens with all the files in my library, not just the attached.

Back
Top Bottom