How's my mixing?

MetalGarret

Inspired
Maybe a little more than just a mixing analyzation, admittedly.

This is an excerpt from a track I'm working on. I need to know if it feels like it fills the spectrum well or if it's too muddy or anythign like that. Basically a "bumper to bumper" sort of deal.

Lately, I've noticed that all my guitar presets in the Axe II are rather thin sounding so the tone presented here is an attempt at a more juicier one. But compared to other posts of heard on these forums, mine still feels lacking somehow. It feels like it could use more edge. I'll see about exporting the .syx a lil later. Although I'm using Ownhammer IR's so unless you have those I don't think you can play with it :(

I was more aiming for a tone similar to this one:
Dream Theater - 06 Beyond This Life - YouTube

I've attempted tone matching at other times (not the one above) and it NEVER sounds right. I look up the rig they use and find the amp model to match it. Find a cab, EQ, etc. that would help get me close to that tone then try to tone match. It never comes out right. I don't really wanna sound exactly like my heroes tone-wise, but it would be nice to have the control and be able to have the same edge they do. Others (I'm assuming) seem to do it with ease but I for some reason struggle with it. I know the answer is probably staring me in the face too.

Pretty good balance. The drums are more contained than in a lot of the clips that people post here.

There are two things that I would look at. First is that the bass doesn't stand out quite enough for me. Second is that it seems like something is getting lost around 0:21. I don't know if that is the mix, or if it SoundCloud compression dealing poorly with a very dense part, but it sounds a bit noisy/muffled to me.

I noticed that too today that the bass was getting lost in places. I took steps to correct that. Hopefully this new clip will seem better in that respect.

I apologize but I went and overwrote that preset already :( I Can tell you that it was a USA IIC+ Bright with the EQ in that scooped "V" fashion and I used Ownhammer 412-GTR Mesa V32 IR's, SM57 UM 3 and 421MD UM 8 with a 3-tube drive before the amp and compressor behind the drive. Sorry I cant upload it! It took a while for people to get back to me so I acted and decided to use another amp model instead.

The above is another part of the song with the synth parts taken out for more clarity to what I'm looking for guitar tone-wise. This time I went with the FAS Modern II amp with a stereo Petrucci Mix cab. Mic 1 is an E609 and Mic 2 is a R121. THIS was more in the direction as to what I was looking for. I' not sure if it's quite where I want it yet but you get the general idea I hope. I've attached a preset this time.

Attachments

• Crunch 2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 17
In my opinion, the second mix is vastly superior to the first. The guitars seemed a little dull in the first mix, and the scooping of the EQ seemed to clear things up.

Sounds great to me, but cold probably do with a little polishing with a mastering utility to give it that extra something. I love the guitar tones though, really like them. Makes a nice change from all the (it pains me to even type the word) 'dent" that I usually have to suffer.

Sounds great to me, but cold probably do with a little polishing with a mastering utility to give it that extra something. I love the guitar tones though, really like them. Makes a nice change from all the (it pains me to even type the word) 'dent" that I usually have to suffer.

Then don't go back and listen to the riff that MetalGarret posted of PJ's patch a few days ago - it was crushing.

Back
Top Bottom