How to...?

Paul2916

Inspired
Hi.

One of the great features of the Axe FX that I use regularly are volume blocks placed in the signal chain (controlled by an expression pedal) so that I can seamlessly crossfade between an acoustic sounding patch and a louder, distorted patch.

However, I'm just curious....does anyone know how this can be done using conventional stompbox pedals and a single amplifier? I know that stompboxes like the Boss AC3 acoustic simulator will let you switch between an acoustic sound (from the pedal going to an acoustic amp) to a distorted sound (coming from a distorted second amp which is activated when the AC3 is bypassed) but this isn't what I'm after as it involves two amps and no crossfade between the sounds.

Thanks.

Thanks Rook, I had no idea such a pedal existed. However, doesn't this pedal require two amps to achieve the crossfade? I want to know if the effect can be done on a single amp, single channel.

Last edited:
Thanks Rook, I had no idea such a pedal existed. However, doesn't this pedal require two amps to achieve the crossfade? I want to know if the effect can be done on a single amp, single channel.

You could try a sub mixer in the chain,something like the Nady MM-14fx,then out to a single amp.

Thanks Joust. If this mixer can be controlled by a pan pedal then this may well be the answer. I'll have a look on-line now.

Thanks Joust. If this mixer can be controlled by a pan pedal then this may well be the answer. I'll have a look on-line now.

Im not sure any mixer can do that.I was referring to sending output A to a channel and output B to another channel,setting equal level for both then using your vol/expression pedal for the crossfades.

Hi Joust,

What I'm trying to do (if it can be done) is use just one amp, one channel (clean) and then crossfading on this clean channel to a distorted sound. I'm (theoretically) trying to avoid taking two amps to a gig.

Hi Joust,

What I'm trying to do (if it can be done) is use just one amp, one channel (clean) and then crossfading on this clean channel to a distorted sound. I'm (theoretically) trying to avoid taking two amps to a gig.

I understand what you're trying to achieve.My theory is "Rooks" suggestion for an expression pedal.Lets say you have a distortion and a phaser.Out of dist pedal to in A on ex/pedal out on phaser to in B on Ex/pedal then outs A/B on pedal to two separate channels in sub mixer,out on sub mix to one amp.You will need a mono splitter jack to go from guitar out to both pedal inputs.If that ernie ball pedal allows you to crossfade between the two outputs A and B.In theory this should work.Your guitar signal my suffer a bit of output loss tho.For that you'll need to use a buffer amp.

Yeah, I guess I should have been a bit more specific... sorry about that. My basic idea was kinda similar to Joust's.

Guitar ->
Stereo Pedal ->
Out A goes to distortion Out B goes to acoustic sim ->
Sum signals together ->
Clean channel of amp.

So basically the stereo volume pedal acts like an A/B switch with every step of crossfade in between. You COULD come out of the pedals into a little mixer, but really there is probably a volume control on the Distortion at least for balancing levels, so all you really need to do is to sum two mono signals together. I have a little box that can do this, but it would probably be just as easy to make a cable that goes from 2 1/4 inch jacks to one (mono) 1/4 inch jack.

Thanks Rook, I was a little slow on the uptake never having tried this before but I think your solution is probably the answer. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom