How to use an octave pedal to create a down-tuned effect?

Hansen

Experienced
I am trying to create a sound that mimics the sound of a 7-string or downtuned guitar. Basically, I want to use my distorted sound as it is and have the whole guitar tuned down several tones to create a kind of “djent” sound. I do not intend to use this sound as my main guitar sound, but on selected parts.

I assume an octave pedal is the right tool to achieve what I am looking for. Could anybody provide some insight on where I should put the pedal in the signal chain and what the general parameters should be? In order to try to illustrate: I want a chord to sound just the same, only difference is that the tones are e.g. 5 tones lower than normal. No harmonic effects.

put the pitch block first in the chain. select the fixed shifter type. turn the level of shift 2 down to zero. turn mix to 100%. set mode to poly. use the shift parameter to lower the pitch by the desired number of semitones. play with pitch source and tracking so you get the best balance between stability and latency

Thank you. I got a really downtuned sound, but it only works with one string. Chords sounds weird. Is there not any way around this?

Also, the latency/stability is not so good. I swiched source from global to local, but not any real difference. Is it not possible to keep my sound, dynamics, etc the same, except everything is tuned down?

Standard issue with octave pedals, nothing is going to track perfectly polyphonicly to allow normal playing technique, even the POG's etc

Better to just drop the tuning or dedicate a 2nd guitar for those parts. I usually prefer having a guitar just for it as I like to go to a heavier gauge string set when tuned low to keep a bit more tension. Guitar Center etc is always full of used 7 strings/baratones at near give away prices.

Yes it is set to poly. I just thought that with today's technology it could be possible to have the sound, dynamics, etc stay the same and just have the entire guitar tuned down. Guess it's not that easy?

Somewhere in the factory presets (not sure which version of them you have), there's a preset for dropped tuning. First, take the preset you are trying to create and, like Simeon said above, put a Pitch block first in your chain. Then, find the factory preset with the dropped tuning and copy the pitch block from that preset into your new preset.

The other thing I was going to recommend is to be sure you've set the Pitch type to Fixed Harmony.

it also depends on how far down you want to go. i get very good results if i only go down 2 semitones and a useable tone if i go down 5 semitones. if you're trying to go much further than that, then you will have problems, no matter what you use

i did also develop a little trick using the adsr and a volume block to cover up the latency by allowing the attack portion of the original sound to mix in with the downtuned sound, which helps with the "feel"

Reactions: 1vl
it also depends on how far down you want to go. i get very good results if i only go down 2 semitones and a useable tone if i go down 5 semitones. if you're trying to go much further than that, then you will have problems, no matter what you use

i did also develop a little trick using the adsr and a volume block to cover up the latency by allowing the attack portion of the original sound to mix in with the downtuned sound, which helps with the "feel"

Simeon, would you be so kind as to share what settings you're using in the volume block to do this trick please?

click on the word "HERE" below my sig

it'll take you to a page on my website where you can download some blocks and patches. in the pitch stuff, you'll find a patch where it's already set up

the idea is to use a volume block in parallel to the pitch block and control the volume of the volume block with an adsr, which only lets through a tiny portion of the attack. have a look and you'll see. the other stuff might be worth a look as well, just for fun.

I guess the link is too old. I am interested as well. I have not had much luck trying to get a usable setting for drop tuning simulation using pitch shifting. Its great for blending octaves and OK for harmonies but I ended up getting more guitars to use different tunings with. More guitars is always a good thing. Having the right string tension and scale length for intonation makes a big difference in playability. I have 3 six strings and an 8 string but I find Its still not enough if I want to use different drop tunings for different songs.

String gauge has to be right and you just can't get a good chug with a floppy string.

I plan to pick up a 7 string and even thought about a 9.

Back
Top Bottom