how to set up live ??????

arcangel

Inspired
ok im pretty new at this i just got my ultra a couple of weeks ago and still messing around with it, my setup is at fallows, axe ultra to ART SLA2 to 2x12 v30's cab, but my question is about the live setup, the normal way is to mic the cab and get it to the FOH but i want to use the features of the axe fx to the fullest and get a great tone for the FOH so any suggestions ???? thanks in advance.

That's a loaded question!!! There have been hundreds of threads on that very topic, with dozens of posts is each, and all representing a huge variety of solution, approaches, and philosophies. But in a nutshell, you can use cab sims to feed FOH, and bypass them into your guitar cab. But do a search, and you'll find more answers than you'll want to cope with.

Dpoirier said:
That's a loaded question!!! There have been hundreds of threads on that very topic, with dozens of posts is each, and all representing a huge variety of solution, approaches, and philosophies. But in a nutshell, you can use cab sims to feed FOH, and bypass them into your guitar cab. But do a search, and you'll find more answers than you'll want to cope with.

thanks man like i said im still new at this so im pretty green with the axe im still in that learning procces but thanks !!!!

You shouldn't really have much of a problem here, seeing as you're using a SS poweramp, rather than a tube poweramp that will colour the sound in its own way. So given that you're still going to be running the poweramp sims, you can just do as Dpoirier and split the signal before the cab. Cab'd signal goes off to FOH, non-cab'd signal goes to your poweramp and 2x12 via separate outputs. Of course, it doesn't have to be the same signal aside from the cab part of it. Once you've split the signal, you can tweak each one separately with EQs and whatever else you want. Or if you wanted to take it a step further, you could have completely different signals for each output running together.

Has actually ever someone done both live?

I mean mic'ed the rig and went direct and mixed the two?

hunter said:

Ed G did it, albeit with a VHT tube power amp.

To the OP - if I was in your place I´d go with the approach Dpoirier mentioned - or switch from the SLA + cab to FRFR or IEM.

Rocket Brother said:
To the OP - if I was in your place I´d go with the approach Dpoirier mentioned - or switch from the SLA + cab to FRFR or IEM.

Right. QSC or RCA are popular for FRFR - then you can DI into FOH, A/B the sounds and play some CCR or ELO. :lol:

GM Arts said:
[quote="Rocket Brother":1e4ia2i3]

Right. QSC or RCA are popular for FRFR - then you can DI into FOH, A/B the sounds and play some CCR or ELO. :lol:[/quote:1e4ia2i3]

OMG, that's a BFD! (IMHO).

hunter said:

I did that for a long time. But frankly the miced amp was too inconsistent and the sound guys used very little of it. Now I just feed FOH a mono direct signal from the XLR.

I still have an amp onstage to provide some stage wash so that the folks in the front rows hear something besides drums.

DNW said:
You shouldn't really have much of a problem here, seeing as you're using a SS poweramp, rather than a tube poweramp that will colour the sound in its own way. So given that you're still going to be running the poweramp sims, you can just do as Dpoirier and split the signal before the cab. Cab'd signal goes off to FOH, non-cab'd signal goes to your poweramp and 2x12 via separate outputs. Of course, it doesn't have to be the same signal aside from the cab part of it. Once you've split the signal, you can tweak each one separately with EQs and whatever else you want. Or if you wanted to take it a step further, you could have completely different signals for each output running together.

well i was thinking of doing something like that :D ;) but like i said i am still really green with the axe, is there any way you could give me a little run through or step by step kinda deal, im still learning how to make my own patches im kinda slow !!! :? but ill get there, slowly but ill get to that level of most of the guys here hopefully soon :D, but thank you for the advice.

arcangel said:
well i was thinking of doing something like that :D ;) but like i said i am still really green with the axe, is there any way you could give me a little run through or step by step kinda deal, im still learning how to make my own patches im kinda slow !!! :? but ill get there, slowly but ill get to that level of most of the guys here hopefully soon :D, but thank you for the advice.

Don't have much time to spare right now, but is there anything in particular you're not sure about?

Essentially you'll be splitting one signal to simply go to the end of the chain to output 1, and the other half of the split will go to output 2, i.e. via the loop. Ideally your FOH signal would be going through the balanced outs, so that'd be output 1. Your shorter link to the poweramp and cab can quite safely go from output 2.

Back
Top Bottom