How to Access Other Layouts from OMG9

jamn4jc

Experienced
I normally use the FM3+FC-6 and the OMG9 setup. Tomorrow, I have an outing and want to use only the FM3 and be able to access the factory layouts for presets and scenes. I cannot figure out how to get to the other layouts once I am in the OMG9. I've reviewed the FM3 manual and Switch Guide and see that the MLM is accessible by holding button 2, but you have to already be in a factory layout.

Last edited:
if you've loaded the OMG9, you no longer have the Factory Defaults.

you can load the Factory Defaults by replacing the OMG9 from the front panel Setup > FC > Default Layouts. but again, this replaces the OMG9.

do you want to replace the OMG9? if not, there may be some blank Layouts (4 and 7?) within the OMG that you can program for whatever you want.

Thanks, Chris. I want to keep the OMG9, so per your suggestion, I will look for blank Layouts to configure. However, I'm still not sure how to access these other layouts from OMG9. Perhaps I need to tweak the OMG "home page"? For example, I don't use/need the looper, so maybe I can re-purpose that switch/function to access one of my customized layouts.

EDIT: now realizing that OMG9 is a configuration that encompasses several "layouts" working together and more than just 1 layout.

Thanks, Chris. I want to keep the OMG9, so per your suggestion, I will look for blank Layouts to configure. However, I'm still not sure how to access these other layouts from OMG9. Perhaps I need to tweak the OMG "home page"? For example, I don't use/need the looper, so maybe I can re-purpose that switch/function to access one of my customized layouts.

EDIT: now realizing that OMG9 is a configuration that encompasses several "layouts" working together and more than just 1 layout.
yup. the "OMG" part is "omg you can 'control' the FC6 with the FM3 switches" or at least how i see it.

the FM3 switches force the FC6 to change Layouts to show the different switches.

all 9 Layouts are shared between devices, so the FM3 doesn't have its own 9, and the FC6 doesn't have its own 9 - they share the same 9. the FM3 just happens to stay on whatever layout that is, and the FC6 changes due to Layout Links.

A quick way to get to the MLM or any other layout is by using knob E (when you're in the home display screen.) Handy if you get stuck on a layout that doesn't have a switch assigned to get there. Same for knob D which changes the view. And if you're lost, a glance tells you what layout/view you're on.

You might also check out this thread showing a way to have an "FM3 alone" setup alongside OMG9 for times when you aren't using the FC6: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...w-to-use-the-3-switches-by-themselves.161070/

What I'm experimenting with is having both the OMG9 and OMG3 layouts loaded. OMG9 uses layouts 1-3, 5 & 8. OMG3 uses 4, 6 & 7. Use the OMG9 as normal. If using the FM3 without the FC6, switch the bank size to 3, default layout to 4 and I'm in OMG3. Switch bank size back to 9 and default layout to 8 to use OMG9.

A quick way to get to the MLM or any other layout is by using knob E (when you're in the home display screen.) Handy if you get stuck on a layout that doesn't have a switch assigned to get there. Same for knob D which changes the view. And if you're lost, a glance tells you what layout/view you're on.

You might also check out this thread showing a way to have an "FM3 alone" setup alongside OMG9 for times when you aren't using the FC6: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...w-to-use-the-3-switches-by-themselves.161070/
Excellent... thanks! I knew there had to be a way to out of layout jail.

What I'm experimenting with is having both the OMG9 and OMG3 layouts loaded. OMG9 uses layouts 1-3, 5 & 8. OMG3 uses 4, 6 & 7. Use the OMG9 as normal. If using the FM3 without the FC6, switch the bank size to 3, default layout to 4 and I'm in OMG3. Switch bank size back to 9 and default layout to 8 to use OMG9.
Very cool!

The latest OMG3 uses a bank size of 6, same as OMG9, so you don't have to mess with bank size.

Back
Top Bottom