how much reworking of patches has FW18b caused you?

Very little here except for my own user error blunders.

I really wish we had a program (forum member created it) like the AXe Reporter for the XL. What a great program-I would pay for it-no problem. PDF's of ALL your settings -very quick also.

I am going to start again from scratch. with the full release. My preset layout is a bit of a mess anyway.

On many of my presets, I copy the same amp model to x and y and re-initialize (or whatever command "I" is called) the amp in y and compare. This has more often than not resulted in my starting over from scratch on dialing in the model, but I mess with advanced parameters very seldom. Getting some of the recent IR releases from FAS and OH also lead me to experiment with older presets. Revising the rotary, which I typically have In most of my main presets, as well. So a descent amount of change since upgrading to FW18b, but I find I get there in no time. I'm finding more amp models work for me than in prior FW releases also- for me, 18b has been a pretty impressive jump forward.

It looks like many people are starting from scratch. I'll have to think about that... it may lead to better, more usable tones instead of tweaking existing patches. Something to ponder at least...

I spent more time just checking out things than I did actually having to tweak anything. I do think that the were some differences in level that I adjusted pretty quickly, but that's it. Any differences between what I had and what I have seem to all be a positive gain. I sure as hell didn't catch myself saying "man, I wish that this was like it was before" in any cases.

Very little here except for my own user error blunders.

I really wish we had a program (forum member created it) like the AXe Reporter for the XL. What a great program-I would pay for it-no problem. PDF's of ALL your settings -very quick also.
Axe Reporter?

Interesting to see mixed views coming through...

That's all good of course and indeed, there is no definitive answer to what's different in terms of feel and taste - or what affect it's had on existing presets - as that's an entirely subjective / personal thing
thumbsup.gif

One thing that's a little 'confusing' perhaps is that the forum is littered with, "OMG!!! It's the best thing eva! Night and day revelation" etc etc - yet here, lots of guys say that they've had to change very little...
unsure.gif

It may simply be the case that FW18 / G3 is just "Way mo betta" at doing what the AxeFX already does, but I can't wonder if perhaps there's either some slightly exaggerated feedback, or not *that* much difference..?
thinking.gif

Can it really be that Cliff nailed the update so well that it's a silky smooth transition to a new level of wonderfulness..? Not beyond the realms of possibility I guess, but either way, I'm still rebuilding in 17.04 with AxeEdit for formatting / routing / controllers etc and maybe then 18 will get a spin to see what gives
thumbsup.gif

My process has been similar to Chris's. Load patch, reset amp block, switch cab to cab pack 8 when appropriate, dial in Gain/MV/Tone. Save preset. I haven't had to do any advanced parameter tweaking really, just dial the amp in like a real one.

I have zero negative feedback on FW 18 personally and I find the G3 modeling to be an improvement to tone, feel, and the ability to quickly dial in a tone.

Interesting to see mixed views coming through...

That's all good of course and indeed, there is no definitive answer to what's different in terms of feel and taste - or what affect it's had on existing presets - as that's an entirely subjective / personal thing
thumbsup.gif

One thing that's a little 'confusing' perhaps is that the forum is littered with, "OMG!!! It's the best thing eva! Night and day revelation" etc etc - yet here, lots of guys say that they've had to change very little...
unsure.gif

It may simply be the case that FW18 / G3 is just "Way mo betta" at doing what the AxeFX already does, but I can't wonder if perhaps there's either some slightly exaggerated feedback, or not *that* much difference..?
thinking.gif

Can it really be that Cliff nailed the update so well that it's a silky smooth transition to a new level of wonderfulness..? Not beyond the realms of possibility I guess, but either way, I'm still rebuilding in 17.04 with AxeEdit for formatting / routing / controllers etc and maybe then 18 will get a spin to see what gives
thumbsup.gif

I know that when I first started with the Fractal in the Standard / Ultra days, when I didn't do a system reset and didn't start from scratch on my presets, I definitely did not have the same experiences as posted on the forum.

Depending on the firmware update, I would either not hear much change or something would sound worse / wrong.

Since changing to the do over, system reset approach, I haven't had one update that I couldn't hear what everyone was gushing about.

YMMV

As I am really busy lately, i only did recalibrate the volumes. It already sounds really good without any tweaking :)

I dialled in a bit more gain or trim on the preamp, tweaked the brightness control and aside from REMOVING corrective EQ blocks, I did very little coming from 17.03.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of my presets I had to start over with but they were heavily tweaked, others were a simple reset balance and tune.

Pretty much what Chris said, although that only applied to half of my patches, the other half hardly needed any tweaking at all.

As time goes on I have been making further adjustments to taste, but these are probably only noticeable by me.

The biggest difference is the feel and the way the amps respond to your playing now; you have to do very little work to get great dynamics out of them so as a result you might find you set your gains/MV at more suitable levels.

Volume & Drive as mentioned often. Definitely a noticeable improvement to me. Had my first Holy S**t moment last night. I had started a basic patch in 17.04 Freidman BE, Pre Rola cab + Studio Reverb. This was intended to be a crunchy/gainy sound (Drive =/- 6). I called it up last night, reset the amp and changed the cab to one of the CP8 irs. BANG, blew me away. This was what I've heard folks raving about!

Back
Top Bottom