How many of you prefer to talk at your gigs (eg In between songs)? How many of you play straight through?

dsouza

Experienced
Just curious about how you guys go about your gigs?

Do you like to introduce each song, talk to the audience, tells speeches and stories in between sets, thanks the producers at the end etc. like a real concert?

Or do guys like to play your songs straight through like a manual labour job?

Just try it, and see how they react...

Sponge Bob Shut Up GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
The Rock Shut Up GIF by WWE
Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up GIF

Last edited:
Do you like to introduce each song, talk to the audience, tells speeches and stories in between sets, thanks the producers at the end etc. like a real concert?
Tell speeches and stories? Good grief, I don't know which I would do first: vomit or walk out.

Cover band or originals? If we're playing our own stuff, maybe just a little talk because you're actually trying to connect and build a fanbase. Covers, no talking except maybe "what up Club 33!"

1705681201120.png

I agree with all that's been said, in fact I'm not the most extroverted personality out there.

But here's a true story about a 16 year old girl who started performing . I recall her video tutorials on YT performing where she gave all her tips away.

They were paying her $50-$100 a night to perform for 3 hours. That's like $17-$33 roughly per hour which is a lot of money for a 16 year old.

But get this because of her extreme charm and charisma she would routinely pull in $800 a night in tip money from the audience. Like clockwork.

I wish I could be as charming as her because it shows audiences respond just as much to a charming performer as they do to music.

Yes the purpose of playing is to play your instruments or sing. That is why people come out. And no amount of charm will make up for poor playing. But add charm to the equation and the crowd will roar.

Yeah she, like Bono, told speeches and stories.... and no the crowd didn't vomit or walk out. They were short bouts of talking in between sets of songs... Like getting the audience to cheer and roar, getting them pumped up, relating to them , the fact that they laid down hard money to see you and many had to come out in poor weather conditions, and at the end of the night, thanking all the producers and other people who made the night happen.

Let's not overlook a good sense of humour. All these things separate a musician who works in the same manner as a manual labourer on his guitar from a musician/band who steals the show, makes the audience fall in love with them, and gets hired and rehired like clockwork because everyone that night had such a blast.

Remember nothing happens without solid technique. I'm talking about going the extra mile.

Personally, I’ve always welcomed someone with good stage banter at the shows I go to, but what I call ‘good’ isn’t everyone’s idea of good, I mean Mike Patton and Devin Townsend. :D

I fronted bands for about 15 years and adapted a lot of what I learned in the restaurant business, serving tables, in regards to taking a crowd of strangers and entertainment them so they gave me money. It’s safe to say onstage in metal bands, I often approached it like an edgy comedian. No long speeches or rants, that never did much for me, but if I can pick things or people out of the audience and make them part of the show/experience, it always did well for drawing people into the band.

I bought a ticket to see the artist perform the songs, not to hear about their politics.

Last edited:
We talk a little bit between most songs. No rock star posturing or shout-outs (Helloooooo, Cleveland!!! Are you ready to ROCK??????) No speeches or long stories, but we thank the audience for the applause, make a few self-effacing quips during quick guitar changes, or introduce the next song. At least once a night we thank the venue and the audience for continuing to support live music, which is a dying thing in our city. No politics or rants. We're a cover band and don't take ourselves too seriously. Our crowd expects a bit of banter from us. A good number of them are personal friends and we treat our shows that way.

Engaging with the audience is part of selling the show. No one wants to hear long tirades or political BS. But some spirited banter, a little back and forth with each other and the audience here and there, gives the audience a chance to participate and feel like you’re digging being there with them. Nothing worse than watching a guitarist stare at his neck all night. People can listen to records at home if they want just music. Give them a show. A little talk is part of it.

Personally, I’ve always welcomed someone with good stage banter at the shows I go to, but what I call ‘good’ isn’t everyone’s idea of good, I mean Mike Patton and Devin Townsend. :D

I fronted bands for about 15 years and adapted a lot of what I learned in the restaurant business, serving tables, in regards to taking a crowd of strangers and entertainment them so they gave me money. It’s safe to say onstage in metal bands, I often approached it like an edgy comedian. No long speeches or rants, that never did much for me, but if I can pick things or people out of the audience and make them part of the show/experience, it always did well for drawing people into the band.

Engaging with the audience is part of selling the show. No one wants to hear long tirades or political BS. But some spirited banter, a little back and forth with each other and the audience here and there, gives the audience a chance to participate and feel like you’re digging being there with them. Nothing worse than watching a guitarist stare at his neck all night. People can listen to records at home if they want just music. Give them a show. A little talk is part of it.
Concur with these guys.

Regards an acoustic or blues open-mic sometimes the audience likes a little story background or personal experience of how you made the song yours. Sometimes some audience interaction works, if you know how to work the room. Sometimes the song introduction works well towards stringing songs together.

Usually begins with thanking the audience for being here, and commending the backing band. Kinda makes for a nicer atmosphere. Any banter regards the song itself is kept short but helps the audience focus on the lyric's message, if there is one. Sometimes a nod towards the original artist goes over well.

Take a lesson from watching Colbert or Fallon's band just before either steps up for his monologue. Although Steve and Jimmy are the hosts, they credit the band as the show gets under way.

As fronting guitarists, we're essentially assuming the roles of the speakers and playing as the band might. Any background the speakers might introduce is part of the show.

Yet to be brief, some audience banter typically engages the audience and makes them feel part of the experience. A little goes a long way. Just avoid politics and divisive topics...nothing will polarize an audience faster than introducing your own political view or trying to lecture a crowd.

Instead, simply thank so-and-so for lending a hand when you needed them, and let the crowd know you might stick around a little to answer any questions.

A gig is not a town hall or lecture meeting. It's entertainment that is supposed to help people forget about their troubles and enjoy life for a time. If you've done your job correctly, audience members will stay afterwards and speak to you then. You can talk more then. A gig is a job where you work and engage the audience as needed to "get them up."

Last edited:
I agree. When my band formed we pushed minimizing gaps between songs with minimal to no banter. Over time we loosened up and talked and joked between songs. We discovered that we, the audience, and the venue staff had a lot more fun which got us invited back again and again. Of course, this only works if the band member's banter is entertaining. If you have no stage banter your music better be damned entertaining.

The most magic moments can happen when the singer shuts up and walks out of the stage. Like at the first 45 seconds of this:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom