How do we know if we're overloading Power Amp input?

JRod4928

Power User
So this might be a dumb question, but how do we know if the signal we're sending to our Power Amp is too strong?

I have sent FOH too hot of a signal before, and was asked to turn down. Which made me wonder about this.

For instance, I have an Orange Pedal Baby 100 that I run OUT3 from Axe FX into the PB100. I level my presets so they're relatively the same volume, then I set OUT3 level knob to about 12 o clock and adjust PB100 volume to whatever I need..... Ideally, I'd like to give the PB100 as much signal as it can handle so I have PB100 Master Volume headroom... but would it damage anything to turn OUT3 to 11 and just run with it? How do I know if it is too much?

Listen for when pb starts clipping on a totally clean preset (probably at quite a loud level).

For instance, I have an Orange Pedal Baby 100 that I run OUT3 from Axe FX into the PB100. I level my presets so they're relatively the same volume, then I set OUT3 level knob to about 12 o clock and adjust PB100 volume to whatever I need..... Ideally, I'd like to give the PB100 as much signal as it can handle so I have PB100 Master Volume headroom... but would it damage anything to turn OUT3 to 11 and just run with it? How do I know if it is too much?
Outputs 3 and 4 are designed for unity gain, basically the guitar's output level, when they're turned fully on:

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 12.35.13 PM.png

Section 4 in the manual is chock-full of useful information, so if you haven't already, read through it looking for diagrams showing the use of Out 3 or 4.

I suppose testing the limit is one way to do it. Any risk of damage if I clip?
It's not likely going to cause harm to the amp; it might sound like "h-e-double-toothpicks", but should be fine. Clipping can mess up speakers, but I think it'd have to be really pushing them hard to heat their coils enough to damage them.

When reading through that section, I'd suggest that you consider, and treat, the Pedal Baby as if it's a tube amp. Their documentation specifically says it's coloring the sound, which is not what we want with solid-state amps used with modelers. Orange refers to them as "sterile", whereas we'd typically refer to them as "accurate". I would center the Pedal Baby's tone controls, and turn off amp modeling along with cab modeling in the FX3. YMMV.

Inspired by valve amp circuits, we’ve used a Class A, single-ended front end design. Forget sterile-sounding Solid State amps, the Pedal Baby 100 keeps all of your tone’s mojo, then adds a bit more.

Outputs 3 and 4 are designed for unity gain, basically the guitar's output level, when they're turned fully on:

View attachment 136797

Section 4 in the manual is chock-full of useful information, so if you haven't already, read through it looking for diagrams showing the use of Out 3 or 4.

It's not likely going to cause harm to the amp; it might sound like "h-e-double-toothpicks", but should be fine. Clipping can mess up speakers, but I think it'd have to be really pushing them hard to heat their coils enough to damage them.

When reading through that section, I'd suggest that you consider, and treat, the Pedal Baby as if it's a tube amp. Their documentation specifically says it's coloring the sound, which is not what we want with solid-state amps used with modelers. Orange refers to them as "sterile", whereas we'd typically refer to them as "accurate". I would center the Pedal Baby's tone controls, and turn off amp modeling along with cab modeling in the FX3. YMMV.

Thanks for the info. I'll start just cranking OUT3 and see if it clips. Most of the time I'm running the PB at like 9 o'clock anyway, so I have plenty of headroom - but was curious about this anyway.

I've been using the PB for years, and did a shootout with Seymour Duncan PS170 and a bunch of other amps here:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...by-bomb-vs-tech21-vs-origin-modelers.2259367/
.... It doesn't color the sound much, except for a mid hump which I discuss in this post. I never read their marketing mumbo jumbo, but I had the same thoughts regarding the PS170 sounding 'Sterile' to me (Class D). I have a pretty good handle on what the PB does, doesn't do, and how to fix it's warts. For me, it's the most natural feeling and sounding non-tube 'budget' amp I can find, that is after I found the EQ fix for it. You have to pick your poison in this budget class of amps, mine was EQ because it's fixable.

Reactions: mtb

View attachment 136797

By the way I run w/o cabs, but w/ power amp modeling on. Sounds best and more accurate to me.

Back
Top Bottom