How do I use the AxeII for two guitarists in a live situation?

hagen1230

I was wondering if I would be able to use the Axe-Fx II for both me and another guitarist. Would I need two poweramps? How would I set up a patch? How would each guitar go to each cab?

Edit - After reading the posts below, I now disagree with my own Post here (which I have left here to demonstrate the point) because of my original less than full understanding of this concept. The routing of the AFX II is truly Over The Top. Although probably not the best use of your AFX II, This is totally do-able if the needs fits your application. If anything, doing this at least once will greatly increase your knowledge of the AFX II routing power.

With all due respect..... Why? I mean have you ever shared your amp with another player? I sure haven't.

I don't think the intent is for an AXE FX to serve two simultaneous guitar players playing "live" on stage, at the same time. It can be done if dual guitars sounding exactly the same are what you want. But I hardly think there could be a senario where this would sound good. Dynamic response and other parts of how this thing works will be messed up as well.

Last edited:
With all due respect..... Why?...It can be done if dual guitars sounding exactly the same are what you want. But I hardly think there could be a senario where this would sound good.
It actually works really well. If you do it right, each guitarist gets his own amp sim, his own cab sim, his own effects chain. No loss of dynamics, no unwanted intermodulation. The two guitars can sound exactly the same or radically different.

And you change both guitars with one patch change!

At some point, it all comes out through the same speaker anyway.

To more specifically answer the OP, do you want both guitarists to have their own speaker on stage with only 1 guitar coming out or is sharing a speaker or mix ok?

My method linked above shares the same output Out 1 in stereo. You have to do a few more steps to have separate outputs for each guitarist.

To more specifically answer the OP, do you want both guitarists to have their own speaker on stage with only 1 guitar coming out or is sharing a speaker or mix ok?

My method linked above shares the same output Out 1 in stereo. You have to do a few more steps to have separate outputs for each guitarist.

I would want each guitar to have it's own cabinet.

Pan left for one guy and right for another and you have both guy coming out of the same sets of outputs. Sound guys can pan both center in FOH and you got two guys using on axe no problem. I use it when I have guests jump up and it in. Works great and with zero of the drawbacks you mention.

I stand entirely corrected, and happily so!
This is an amazing added benefit. The routing seems to be so powerful that something which on first thought, sounds like a pipedeam, is actually possible. The moral here appears to be, never underestimate the capabilities of your AFX II. Good work Chrisallen. You seem to have gotten this whole routing thing from the beginning. Thanks for your Video Tutorials. That piezo video really shows many alternate avenues beyond just the originally intended purpose. It would almost be worth amending the video, or adding part two to introduce and open minds of guys like me and this OP to the many powerful options of the AFX II.

Awesome stuff

Last edited:
Haha wow thanks! I just got so many questions about how I use my axe so I made a vid. I have so many ideas for more videos but have been working on a major project lately.

I always feel like I talk or explain too much sometimes, but I'd rather have people understand what is going on rather than just copy settings and not know why.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure 2 real cabs. At that point he'd need a power amp with 2 available separate output channels, or 2 separate power amps and cabs.

Most stereo power amps are not so much stereo as actually (sometimes bridgeable) mono/mono PAs with two discrete Sets of INs and OUTs. So special equipment ¡should not be needed. However, if going into an actual guitar amp, two amps will be required, each having an effects loop with the AFX II feeding the return on each. (assuming both players are using the a amp blocks within the AFX II).

Wait a minute here...
Why this thread got moved I can't understand. This is core stuff specific to the AFX II and which make the unit highly superior???? Many other AfX II users would have appreciated seeing this IMHO.

I have to agree. Rigs and routing is a side topic, I think, to the main topic of making the Axe-FX perform like two separate rigs, completely internally.

Then again, I'm not a moderator, and I don't have to deal with the high volume of posts on the forum and make decisions about it in a moment. I can see why the choice may have been made. Still...

Back
Top Bottom