Horns, String Ensembles, Synths and other instruments effects

Ophidiuchus

Hi,

IAs the title says, I'd like my XL+ to emulate different instruments, from Cellos, Violins and other stringed instruments to string ensembles, synths, choirs (all that stuff you hear in orchestras) with the sole purpose of creating mock ups and get a better gasp of them without spending hours programming MIDI on VSTs and other solutions.

So, if you have presets or a formula you'd like to share, please help a fellow forumite out.

Thanks!

Keep in mind that the AxeFX synth block only does analog synthesis, and not FM synthesis or sampling, so the potential to mimic real world instruments is limited. Think old 8-bit 80's and 90's video game music. The early consoles had analoge chips and created sounds the same way as the AxeFX, so a "violin" or "choir" patch will only sound as close to the real thing as an old NES could achieve. On the other hand, creating old Moog sounds and chiptune style sounds is very easy to do, so long as you have an ear for the different types of waveforms and filters.

Keep in mind that the AxeFX synth block only does analog synthesis, and not FM synthesis or sampling, so the potential to mimic real world instruments is limited. Think old 8-bit 80's and 90's video game music. The early consoles had analoge chips and created sounds the same way as the AxeFX, so a "violin" or "choir" patch will only sound as close to the real thing as an old NES could achieve. On the other hand, creating old Moog sounds and chiptune style sounds is very easy to do, so long as you have an ear for the different types of waveforms and filters.

I am aware of Jam Origin. But its latency and problem recognizing lower notes has kept me away from it. I don't want super realistic VST solutions, I want "alike" sounds so I can create ambiance and mockups seamlessly. I achieved this using my old copy of Revalver so I guess the Axe FX could do it better.

If you do a search for Yek's presets, there are some very good starting points.
Everything synth related was way better than anything I could come up with.

Check out the thread "Violin patch v13 with scenes + ultrares" in the "Axe-Fx II Preset Exchange" section of the forum. I'd link to it, but my post count isn't high enough. :-( The original patch in there by simeon is great, even if it was created on older firmware... I'm on Q2 now and I used it this past week with my tele to play a cello part and worked great.

Yes Simeon, Yek, Fremen, Axe Change. Search the forum. I believe Fremen created a preset called Atmosynth which to me sounded quite ensemble ish. The Violin/Cello patch isn't to bad either.

Thanks for all the info guys. Those who can share links, feel free to paste them here. I've found some but who knows what lies in the depths of the FAS forum!

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/89143-yeks-blog-axe-fx-ii-xl-presets.html

Q2-presetlist.png

Not quite that shitty dude. More like hi-quality limited polyphony synths.

Really? Even in those old machines, analog synthesis is a highly flexible sound construction medium. The thing that limited the NES, for example, was its limited repertoire of waveforms (we have more in the Axe), although later 16-bit systems like the SNES and Genesis had more robust capabilities in that regard (as well as a second chip for FM synthesis and primitive, low-bit sampling). Additionally, the earlier systems had very limited voices to work with, so layering waveforms cost too many resources to effectively do (whereas we can layer 3 waveforms in the Axe as we're only dealing with a single instrument and not trying to realize a full ensemble).

Also, the AxeFX does not have limited polyphony. It has no polyphony, as the synth block is entirely monophonic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom