Holy Sh*t! Fredrik Thordendal AXE-FX II Rythm Sound

Can I join in?

OK, here goes....

The only thing I find more offensive than needlessly commenting about a band that you don't listen to is the misuse and bastardisation of a language by somebody who does not use "your", "you're" and "you are" in the correct context.

Now lets all drink a nice tall glass of shut the f**k up and learn to play nicely, before the mods start handing out infractions.

Reactions: Ole
Can I join in?

OK, here goes....

The only thing I find more offensive than needlessly commenting about a band that you don't listen to is the misuse and bastardisation of a language by somebody who does not use "your", "you're" and "you are" in the correct context.

Now lets all drink a nice tall glass of shut the f**k up and learn to play nicely, before the mods start handing out infractions.

Try to write in a language that its not your native one, they you'll understand....

here here.. i'm older (43) so its' not an age thing, just isn't your thing. I appreciate the work that goes into what they do, and at a level that not many other bands can attain, do I listen to them 24/7 no... to each their own.. lets leave it at that.

Oh there's *plenty* to not get about Meshuggah. They're just about the most harsh, abrasive, unmelodic thing you can imagine and I love it! Something about them just massages the parts of my brain that love twisty rhythms. And that's the secret. It's rhythm-geek drum music played on stringed instruments. Scarily precise. I can play Rush and Opeth and Metallica til the cows come home but learning to play a Meshuggah song right is a labor of many months -- even for the band members!

If you care about actual *notes* you really should listen to something else!

^^^ Hahahaha yeah. Any toddler could play any old Meshuggah song. What a fantastic troll! Seriously, Bravo. I guess we should respond by saying that if you don't like the band, it's probably just because you're mentally too slow to follow along with it. Ah, the classic "Tool fan" defense. Raises my blood pressure every time I hear it. :)

Get off my lawn you crazy whippersnappers!

Seriously though, I wouldn't consider Meshuggah my favorite band by any means, but they do kick all kinds of ass. And, if you can seriously watch 5 human beings play "Bleed" that flawlessly and tightly live and still think there's no talent there, I really don't know what to tell you. Seriously, just try to learn the song and play along with it. Hell, try to learn any of their songs and play along with them. There might not be very many unique notes being played, but I bet 95% of the players here couldn't get their playing anywhere near that tight, much less even keep track of when to play what notes, especially with that much gain and with other people playing along to keep track of.

But besides that, personally I like their music. I can't explain it, but their tone is awesome and the music is about as driving and brutal (I hate that word, but it fits here) as it can be. I honestly don't care for the majority of their songs, but the ones that hit me right hit me very hard.

And it's doubly weird for me to have this opinion too because I normally hate djent music, but I think Meshuggah are in a different league than pretty much every other band in the genre.

I dont care if I get banned for this Cobbler, but just shut the hell up already. You clearly are a bitter old man than doesnt get the "kids music". Your at the point of being really condescending on a topic you very clearly know nothing about. It you are counting musical merit on technique and how many notes can get crammed into a measure than your a lost cause anyway. Please, feel free to continue to be closed minded on another thread. Go strum a cowboy chord.

Geeeeez you guys sure are touchy! WoW! The toddler comment was in reference to Picasso by the way and that he was one of the first to do something commercially successful in his field but that doesn't make it innovative in my opinion. I never said what they play isn't difficult either. In fact, I said just the opposite when I prefaced my comments by saying they had nothing to do with skill level on instruments. I said I don't find it at all musical and I don't. I also said much of my opinion is based on the fact that I cannot get past the vocals.

It's my opinion and if you don't agree then so be it. I also said that is why this world is so awesome in that we have all kinds for all persons to pick and chose from. If that makes me a troll, an old whippersnapper, too mentally slow to follow , a bitter old man, or condescending in your eyes then so be it. But one thing I will NOT do is "shut the hell up" because I am entitled to my opinion and I am entitled to express it.

I even stated I was not trying to offend anyone because I knew many like that genre. Apparently that got overlooked as your panties were wadding up. :)

Last edited:
Geeeeez you guys sure are touchy! WoW! The toddler comment was in reference to Picasso by the way and that he was one of the first to do something commercially successful in his field but that doesn't make it innovative in my opinion. I never said what they play isn't difficult either. In fact, I said just the opposite when I prefaced my comments by saying they had nothing to do with skill level on instruments. I said I don't find it at all musical and I don't. I also said much of my opinion is based on the fact that I cannot get past the vocals.

It's my opinion and if you don't agree then so be it. I also said that is why this world is so awesome in that we have all kinds for all persons to pick and chose from. If that makes me a troll, an old whippersnapper, too mentally slow to follow , a bitter old man, or condescending in your eyes then so be it. But one thing I will NOT do is "shut the hell up" because I am entitled to my opinion and I am entitled to express it.

I even stated I was not trying to offend anyone because I knew many like that genre. Apparently that got overlooked as your panties were wadding up. :)

It's not being sensitive. No panties wadded. You are entitled to your opinion. I just think that the way u worded it made it seem like people who buy their music are getting duped by the band into buying it. If that's not what u meant then I apologize for what I said. But I do think that you are back peddling though.

I am not back peddling at all. I don't find them musical at all. It's just not my thing. I don't get it and yet understand many do. Someone posted about people being innovative and I commented on that. Innovation in my humble opinion doesn't necessarily correspond with quality. People think KISS was innovative. I thought they stunk too. People consider Picasso innovative and a genius artist. I think I painted equally good with finger paints as a child. It's all a matter of opinion. And again, that's why it's so awesome that we have so many choices at our fingertips. There is something for everyone. And yes, I think people will buy into anything regardless of being duped or not. People paid good hard cash for pet rocks for gosh sakes.

I am sorry my opinion upsets you but it doesn't change my opinion and it certainly isn't going to make me shut the hell up. I'm a jerk in that way! :)

It's all good and I hope you enjoy whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:
I am not back peddling at all. I don't find them musical at all. It's just not my thing. I don't get it and yet understand many do. Someone posted about people being innovative and I commented on that. Innovation in my humble opinion doesn't necessarily correspond with quality. People think KISS was innovative. I thought they stunk too. People consider Picasso innovative and a genius artist. I think I painted equally good with finger paints as a child. It's all a matter of opinion. And again, that's why it's so awesome that we have so many choices at our fingertips. There is something for everyone. And yes, I think people will buy into anything regardless of being duped or not. People paid good hard cash
for pet rocks for gosh sakes.

I am sorry my opinion upsets you but it doesn't change my opinion and it certainly isn't going to make me shut the hell up. I'm a jerk in that way! :)

It's all good and I hope you enjoy whatever makes you happy.

Ill settle for agreeing to disagree. Cheers.

Glad you guys have finally settled down and we can agree to disagree - there is lots of stuff I don't get - wildly popular stuff that I just really cant stand . I think because we connect with music in such an emotional and visceral
level we tend to get emotional over it.

that said who has some killer settings for the 10.10 Thordendal amp ?

I don't get it either man... and I used to be a huge metalhead back in the day. His technique is horrible, but I can't help but think that's part of the appeal. Fret hand ring finger knuckle is buckled, plays on the pads of his fingers instead of the tips, holds his pick with his thumb knuckle, pulls the first fret out of tune every time he frets it, uses the same finger for that ascending section... but he's stupid famous and I'm a nobody, so perhaps he knows something I don't.

hahahah dude, hilarious. you must be a really lowbob-guitar player. sorry to point it out, but if you knew about Fredrik.... go check out Special Defects written in the 90`s. he is so much Allan Holdsworth influenced there and executes everything so well.
i am not a super big fan but i am in awe because he IS a fantastic guitar player.

it`s not that he knows something that you don`t. it`s because he can play and you probably can`t. at least not as good to make you famous ;) sorry for the honest and maybe harsh words brother ;)

EDIT: and yeah i am late to the party and don`t wanna make it start all over again.... but yeah! WE STILL LOVE EACH OTHER AND ARE BUDDIES, RIGHT? OK! fine :)

<3

Noice thred hahaha... Meshuggah is Meshuggah and that's that! To each their own. I listen to tons of style of music from Lisa Gerrard to Krisiun. I don't understand the hype of a lot of bands, i'm not dissing them over it.

But.... ... ... ... ... ....

Honestly though, if Meshuggah is so umm....boring, monotonous, no musical merit (just quoting some posts here) or over hyped or it's so easy to play a note 20 times in a row. Why isn't there more Meshuggah cover bands? There's plenty of fans. These guys are legends in the Metal scene.

I'm in the Chicago area and there's tons of Iron Maiden / motley crue / led zepplin / rush / Pantera / metallica / megadeth / motorhead /cover bands.... hell this list goes on for days.

Not ONE Meshuggah cover band. Not ONE.... probably not one in a 1,000 mile radius. Maybe it's because they're so easy to play?

I think either a simple, 'I don't care for this or that band' post or no post at all speaks volumes over a dissing post war. Just saying:encouragement:

The Beatles was the first to do their thing. Was the 3 chords in 90% of their songs very original?

I was thinking the other day meshuggah got a lot more millaged out of 3 notes(max) in 26 years than the Beatles did 3 chords in their whole career.

Broom of Doom - YouTube
always wondered why they play 8 strings when 90% of their discography could be pulled off on this?

Don't get me wrong it was a breath of fresh air when they first started, but now its like a horse that should have been put down a loooooong time ago

I love how everyone brings up 'Bleed' a song they wrote 20 years after the formation of the band............that kinda sums it up right there.

The Carcass guys said it better than I could

“A lot of what is happening now is based on rhythms rather than actual riffs. We were discussing this a lot during record sessions about how the riff is almost dying or dead already. People spend a lot of time chugging on the bottom string [but] that’s a rhythm it’s not a riff – we can’t write a song, never mind an album, without it being choc-full of riffs.”

Believe me the 'djent' genre is leaving a massive hole for bands out there with riffs and songs to fill that void. Imagine a genre where the no1 rule is you can't even play a 4/4 riff (at least without massive starts and stops) or one with more than a few notes on the guitar!!!

Back
Top Bottom