High gain presets using a stomp OD as the sole source of distortion ;o)

Radley

Experienced
Hey guys & gals - I have just made a couple of high gain presets using only a Stomp OD Block as the sole source of distortion into a totally clean Amp. They sound *excellent*, and provide a different texture of sound than the overdriven Amps - the cool thing is that you can still use all of the dynamics parameters in the Amp section to fine tune the OD response!

The only thing I am missing is a ‘turbo’ switch to add extra gain to the block, since many of the ODs have great tonality yet lack sufficient gain for truly singing high gain solo sounds, and if I try to push to much level into the front of the OD it starts sound a bit wierd (imho of course!) 8)

this is the David Gilmour way to tone....worked fairly well for him, haha. I used to do this all the time with my tube amps, to get 4-5 channels out of my 2 channel amp by different OD's into clean or dirty side....haven't tried it on the axe though....

Hey guys & gals - I have just made a couple of high gain presets using only a Stomp OD Block as the sole source of distortion into a totally clean Amp. They sound *excellent*, and provide a different texture of sound than the overdriven Amps - the cool thing is that you can still use all of the dynamics parameters in the Amp section to fine tune the OD response!

The only thing I am missing is a ‘turbo’ switch to add extra gain to the block, since many of the ODs have great tonality yet lack sufficient gain for truly singing high gain solo sounds, and if I try to push to much level into the front of the OD it starts sound a bit wierd (imho of course!) 8)

I did the same.
I was able to get good sounds with all of these;

Tube Driver block alone;
Tube Driver with T808OD blocks together;
Tube Driver and BB Pre blocks together;
Tube Driver and Parametric EQ blocks together.
The T808OD; the BB Pre; and the Full OD; all sound pretty good alone also.

The Tape Dist adds a nice boost if you want to add that in front.
The FET Boost adds a nice boost.
The Tube compression sounds good for a boost also.

All the very best!
Terry

FWIW: I use both Pre and Post EQ on every gain patch I write - it really defines the final tonality, even more than the Amp or OD model itself!

Last edited:
Might you try putting a filter or volume block Boost AFTER the OD and before the amp?...boosting the signal into the amp will of course behave differently than boosting the signal into the OD. My "boost" IA does this and works well without overdriving the OD.

Back
Top Bottom