High gain amps sound flubby and muddy

I used an old 2 channel rectifier with a maxon od808. The cab is a mesa 4x12 OS. Im trying to dial in a tone like emmure for example (kind of 5150 block letter)

If your trying to recreate a tight metal tone with a 5150 model, let me give you some advice. First, if your using a Mesa 4x12 V30 cab block then your going to have to alter the settings on the amp a bit.

Try this with the 4x12 Recto Mix or New Mix IR (#129 or 130).

Set the PVH 6160 II amp block like this:

Input Drive: 4.5
Bass: 8
Middle: 5
Treble: 5
Master Volume: 3
Depth: 10
Presence: 9

The main thing with this amp is the presence knob. Set between 8 and 10 and that's where the amp gets its definition and really opens up, so to speak.

Also, no need for a Tubescreamer in front with those settings. Try it out. Let me know what you think.

I'll throw one more out here for you to try. This one is my "all-arounder" patch.

TS808 settings:

Drive: 2
Tone: 4
Level: 5

PVH 6160 BLOCK amp settings:

Input Drive: 4.5
Bass: 6
Mids: 2.5
Treble: 4.5
Master Volume: 3
Depth: 7
Presence: 8

Cab block:

4x12 Mar-CB V30-Ch Mix (OH) #149

Drop g is low man. I had my 7 in it for a while. Getting that low is a specialized thing for sure. Things that work normally don't work.

IMHO tones that low need to be ultra tight and bright, almost so much they sound kinda bad on their own. The bass will fill
Out the bottom as at G it will probably be in unison rather than an octave below.

the 5153Red has sounded amazing in every fw since the day it showed up..
you don't need to bung a drive block in front of it..

drive=4 to 6 [I like 5.0]
bass=3
mid=5
treb / pres= more than 5
depth= set high to put back the low end that's stripped by the low bass setting

if you switch on the boost, also switch on the cut to keep the lows tight..
if you want to sound a little "deeper", got to the amp: eq page and cut 500Hz by 2 to 5dB [a taste thing]

bung it through the TV mix cab..
or better, a stereo cab with the TV mix panned hard left and the AX mix panned hard right..

With extended low tunings I always turn down the bass really low like 0-2, and bring 500hz down a few dB in the amp block Eq for midrange clarity. Lately with the new firmware I've been turning up the bright parameter with good results too. Honestly I usually get the same luck with the default settings, But the he thing you'll learn with the axe fx is that there are ten different ways to do just about everything.

F string on my 8 string is tight as shit.

This. My 27" scale 8 string in F sounds great, you don't really have to do that much different to make low tuned guitars sound good, provided your guitar is set up right.

G is a piece of cake.

This. My 27" scale 8 string in F sounds great, you don't really have to do that much different to make low tuned guitars sound good, provided your guitar is set up right.

G is a piece of cake.
Never had a problem dialing in a good tone with amps and software. Only some tweaking and It's done. I've tried all kind of settings you shared but its really far from an amp feeling. Lately I've downgraded to previous firmwares but with some of them the unit has no signal. It's weird...

Haha, i love all the jaws dropped when people say they use an overdrive pedal in front of 5153 like it's my little pony that has been raped in the ass :D

To me personally Blackouts were the BIG BIG problem in the flubfactor... I was never satisfied with the tone as it was always too messy in the highs and all over the place on lows in a bad way.
Changing to EMG 81's helped a LOT. And all the people saying "there's not a differerence you can hear between Blackouts and EMG-81" i just say, "okay" i know there's a lot of speculation of that, but i've tried it many times and i really convinced myself that the blackouts are total piece of shit. No offence if someone likes 'em, personal taste.

Still, the problem isn't the pickups here as someone said. It's as simple as with a real amp with the new firmwares now, just find a good cab and it'll guide you to home when you adjust the knobs a bit...

I'm not really sure what his problem is. Shouldn't be the guitar or tuning that is the problem. If you can't get a tight metal sound with a TS in front of a 5150 set at gain 4-5, low 6-9, mids at 2, highs 4-6, depth and presence turned up, into a Mesa 4x12 impulse....then I don't know what to tell you. Other than keep the TS drive low and volume/tone at noon.

Maybe you should go back to your old setup if you liked it better. If ain't broke, don't spend forever trying to coax a decent tone out of the Axe-Fx that your never truly happy with. Just my two cents.

When you're not able to win the flubbiness it's time to take a sight to the Cliff " the Power of Pre-Eq " thread in this forum ... It helps a lot . I had really great results with my Carvin DC 800 tuned in E .
Always with a Ts808Mod and Fas Mod2 / 5153 / Recto Org 2 etc. etc.

A GEq10 band before the drive And whatever works for you after the cab or cabs

BTW with a Higain Amp you need to let the Gain under 3,5 for sure ... Better between 2 and 3

Back
Top Bottom