Hi Cut Cab + Bass Cut Amp = Overkill?

pjrake

Inspired
I've always cut around 100-120 hz on the cab block to give my bass player his space... but with the new bass cut switch in the amp block would have both "engaged" be an overkill? If so, which of the two is preferred for sitting in the mix in a live situation? Thanks!

The bass cut switch is before the distortion so it will change the feel and breakup characteristics. The bass cut is basically intended to give you that Tube Screamer with Drive on 0 sound without having to use a dedicated Drive block.

Using Low Cut in the Cab block is akin to what you would do in the studio to carve out room for the bass player.

Thanks!

Drive Block (Drive on 0) + Bass Cut Amp = Overkill?

Right now I have a Drive Block set to 0, plus the Amp Bock's bass cut set to ON, and the Cab Block's cut on 100 hz. Is this too much, then?

IMO yes but it all depends on context. That sound might work great for your music. Trust your ears.

FWIW I've started bypassing the drive on most of my heavy rhythm guitar sounds and using the bass cut in the amp instead. I generally switch to another scene that uses amp 2 for my leads and I'll use a drive block in front of that or a PEQ to goose it for more sustain. This way seems to give me more clarity to my rhythms and provides a little more flexibility for the drives, because I can select my drive X based on how it sounds best for leads and not based on how it cleans up the flub on my rhythm tone.

It seems like the feel has improved in recent firmware releases so I don't feel as much of a need to have a drive on my rhythm tones any more as well. I think the bass cut is part of it, but there's a lot more to that mojo.

The bass cut switch is before the distortion so it will change the feel and breakup characteristics. The bass cut is basically intended to give you that Tube Screamer with Drive on 0 sound without having to use a dedicated Drive block.

Using Low Cut in the Cab block is akin to what you would do in the studio to carve out room for the bass player.

Hey, Yek. :D

That's pretty much what I do with all the older cabs. With the producer cabs and the Ownhammer cabs I find I don't have to use the cab low cut as much if at all.

Thanks!

Drive Block (Drive on 0) + Bass Cut Amp = Overkill?

Right now I have a Drive Block set to 0, plus the Amp Bock's bass cut set to ON, and the Cab Block's cut on 100 hz. Is this too much, then?

That's pretty much what I do with all the older cabs. With the producer cabs and the Ownhammer cabs I find I don't have to use the cab low cut as much if at all.

You keep the low cut at 20hz? I'm also using the producer's pack, but currently have them set at 100hz with the cut switch from the amp block. Just took out the drive block as per Cliff's suggestion. Actually sounds better!

Yeah, even if I can't hear the difference I'm probably going to leave the low cut had about 100. My guitar gets messy when I'm in the subs at a bigger venue. But it will depend on the patch. Some sounds just need a little more bottom end. Whatever sounds right at volume in a band mix. Sounds like you're on the right track to me.

Back
Top Bottom