Hey Vocalists... Anyone have experience with live pitch correction?

I've watched this thread for a while and finally joined so I could post. Very cool that Phil was able to actually ask Mike WTF was going on in the vocals on this one...That performance launched his touring career. I emailed him via Youtube when it first came out asking what tricks he used but got no response...I knew for sure something was going on but I suspected it was going on live...It wasn't that it was so perfectly in tune. Lots of folks can sing in tune, but rather the doubling effect that made it thick and warm. I've never used Melodyne maybe it does more than just pitch correct because there is more going on in that vocal than just pitch correction. End result was a stellar performance the likes of which that can put one on the map for a career in performing live...

So flash forward to 2019 He is a pro and for sure he has always been a perfectionist. Today he is using the TC helicon harmonizer

I own a VoiceLive 3 Extreme, and it’s a fantastic voice effects processor. It’s mostly used by a One Man Band type gigs, as it has a looper, and many I/O’s available. You really have to know this unit to get good results. Of course, depending on the type of music you’re singing, with this unit, it seems less is more.
TC Helicon and TC Electronics were purchased by the Music Tribe Group in 2015, and Berringher is part of the Music Tribe Group. There was hope that a VoiceLive 4 was in the works, but that’s probably not going to happen. The VoiceLive 3 Extreme is amazing, and I won’t be selling it anytime soon! 😀🎸🎹🇺🇸

I have the original TC helicon rackmount harmonizer and a voicelive 1 The rack never gets used anymore but I came up with a fun way to use the voicelive foot unit....
Some points......my unit has midi in and out and it is connected to my keyboard, When I play a c chord on the keys the harmony matches it. If I go to a c minor and you'll hear the harmonies adjust,
So this thing I do is unique and limited to headphones only performances but it is so fun n cool to be able to do. Live the mic picks up the keyboard audio and it sounds like garbled crap.
The trick
I use two mics. One for straight vocals and one for harmonies. Instead of using the footswitch to turn the harmony mic off and on. It is hot all the time...I fade back n forth
Below are a few examples of me doing my thing this way....

vocals are pretty low on this one but again you get the idea..
Over time I have gotten a lot better at working this trick

A note on or off pitch feels kind of different. Off pitch irritates where as on pitch it pleases... :) Just like guitar out of tune will simply not sound as pleasing as guitar in tune.
Perfect on pitch notes sound... boring. Go perfect pitch Freddie Mercury, or M Jackson, or any incredible singer before pitch correction. Sound good? Yes! Sound interesting? Nope! Justy like digital static distortion from the first modeler. Useable, but not great, organic, 3dimensional....

Back
Top Bottom