Help to get the "right" IR

I’ve been happy with Legacy #54 since the Axe FX 2 days, although my tone/style is more on the classic rock side.

What I do for air is mix in a room IR. I’ve been using the Full Res greenbacks under Legacy 196-197.

Here are the Presets from my examples.

Attachments

• JP IIC+ RED Shred Lead.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
  • RECLEAD SLO-LEAD.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 28
  • JVM MEGA RYTHM.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Engl Rythm1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
  • REC - SET Friedman HBE.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
I found something ... looking for Leon Todds LT TV Mix i remembered the Speaker Impedeance Curve. So i switchted from the citrus to the 5153 Curve and droped some low end with the preamp cab Settings (Transfomer). It is a small step forward!
(this is only the Friedman Preset)

<Example 2>

I started with 40% Volume Knob and then turned to 100& wihle playing.

Greetings from Germany:)

Last edited:
I found something ... looking for Leon Todds LT TV Mix i remembered the Speaker Impedeance Curve. So i switchted from the citrus to the 5153 Curve and droped some low end with the preamp cab Settings (Transfomer). It is a small step forward!
(this is only the Friedman Preset)

<Example 2>

I started with 40% Volume Knob and then turned to 100& wihle playing.

Greetings from Germany:)
That sounds killer
Another curve that becoming popular you can try is the Fractal LB2 UK, I know Leon likes that one as does Jon symons from Sonic Drive studio when he demos the York Audio stuff

Your tones are great IMO and sound very live in the room
But if you just want different flavours try a few different impedance curves

Hi there,

i know, this question maybe is a bit dumb or often asked....
but i want to break out from my circle of "constant change my speaker IRs".
Can you help me out please?

I brought my wonderful AxeFXII mk2 about two years ago and i am still searching for "the best" IR. I watched youtube videos, read tutorials, the documentation and many threads here in this cool place.
But i am still not real satisfied. Everytime, i thought: "oh man,, this sounds killer.. your seeking is at an end..." weeks later i choosed another one, because i am thiniking "man, this sonds not so good..."

I put some audios on my space, so you can hear, what sound i just choose.

I made some Patches with a Friedman HBE 2010 for distorted Rythm, an Engl Savage and a JVM Marshall. Also i choosed a SLO100 for the Solo Sound and the Petrucci Amp.

The Actuial IRs i am using for the Rythm Tracks are the 4x12 Citrus 71 VR1 a2VH with a Friedman_PT20_SM57 (at-9.5 / -12.5 mixed).
View attachment 111113

Examples
(i just played some warm up stuff) i only normalized the track. All kind of sound/effects coming from my beloved Fractal :)
The Guitar is a Charvel Angel Vivaldi with DiMarzio ToneZone.

You can hear the Friedmann, The Engl and the JVM for Rythm.
After that the SLO and the Petrucci Amp are following.

I love the warm Mids a lot...
But -
Help is needed to add some more "Air" "crispness" into the Presets.
I cant do this with Amp Settings, so i have to choose some other IR´s maybe.. But i don´t know which one..
Most of them are too harsh in my opinion....

Maybe anyone can help me out. (maybe i am wrong and everything is ok??)

Thanks a lot and greetings from Germany.
My take is find a few that you like and just use those. For me it keeps things same same across the board and can add "flavor" in other places. Otherwise that is never ending with search.

I listened to your examples, and I hear the same thing that I struggle with...a warm guitar sound. It sounds good and warm, and that's great for jamming by yourself, but ultimately you may have to cut some bottom end for the mix. reverb is also adding to the problem.

as for the IR, I don't think it's the problem as much as low cutting a high enough frequency. don't be afraid to cut upwards of 130-150hz if need be. I'm speaking of a recording tone, not jamming in the room. also, kill the reverb when recording. add it during mixdown.

I also suggest reamping when recording. record with whatever tone inspires you, but also record your guitar DI direct to another track.

I listened to your examples, and I hear the same thing that I struggle with...a warm guitar sound. It sounds good and warm, and that's great for jamming by yourself, but ultimately you may have to cut some bottom end for the mix. reverb is also adding to the problem.

as for the IR, I don't think it's the problem as much as low cutting a high enough frequency. don't be afraid to cut upwards of 130-150hz if need be. I'm speaking of a recording tone, not jamming in the room. also, kill the reverb when recording. add it during mixdown.

I also suggest reamping when recording. record with whatever tone inspires you, but also record your guitar DI direct to another track.
Hi, thanks a lot. I know excactly what you mean. To cut low freq. is needed in the mix. And i dont record it with the reverb. Its only for me to jam and practice. I just have to find a solution to record simultaniosly the full Git and the Git before the Amp. But i am using a UAD Apollo for Recording with only two inputs. so i have to figure out, if it is possible to route the dry signal over my AdatXT inputs via optical in the UAD. Maybe it will work.
I think, i will give it a try to record something with bass and Drums, to find out, what to do.
My goal is, to get the tone, that can be stick in without so much after eq manipulation in the daw.

Greetings from Germany :)

Hi, thanks a lot. I know excactly what you mean. To cut low freq. is needed in the mix. And i dont record it with the reverb. Its only for me to jam and practice. I just have to find a solution to record simultaniosly the full Git and the Git before the Amp. But i am using a UAD Apollo for Recording with only two inputs. so i have to figure out, if it is possible to route the dry signal over my AdatXT inputs via optical in the UAD. Maybe it will work.
I think, i will give it a try to record something with bass and Drums, to find out, what to do.
My goal is, to get the tone, that can be stick in without so much after eq manipulation in the daw.

Greetings from Germany :)
Maybe this is helpful:

Here are a few notes i just recorded.
Git (Charvel Angel Vivaldi) from AXE FX Freidmann and SLO for Solo
Bass (Ibanez Soundgear 5) from AxeFX PortaBass Standard Preset with Compressor.
And in the end some Mastering.
(next time i will give some more db on the solo)

Full-Example

try changing your tone from the source first?

guitar pickups maybe from your tone zone to an super distortion since you like the warm mids but more treble from what I see

As for crispiness try this
I've done a lot of testing with isolation cabs. The big thing that happens is that the mic distorts, especially when using an SM57. This adds some crispness to the high end and some compression. I've found that I can duplicate that effect very closely by using the FET I preamp type in the Cab block and turning the Drive up until the desired compression is achieved. I set Sat to zero.

Back
Top Bottom