Help setting up Outputs on my

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Im not sure the best way to set my outputs. I think I may have been doing it wrong for years now. Lol

Output 1 L and R are going out to my stereo in ears. So I set that Out mode to stereo.

output 2 I’m running in mono sending Left to FOH and Right to my FR speaker. I do use some stereo delays in my chain mainly because it sounds great in my IEM’s. But i know it won’t translate in mono to the two mono channels.

Therefore should I be setting the output 2 to copy L to R or Sum L/R in order to have it sound best on the mono speakers?

Last edited:
Im not sure the best way to set my outputs. I think I may have been doing it wrong for years now. Lol

Output 1 L and R are going out to my stereo in ears. So I set that Out mode to stereo.

output 2 I’m running in mono sending Left to FOH and Right to my FR speaker. I do use some stereo delays in my chain mainly because it sounds great in my IEM’s. But i know it won’t translate in mono to the two mono channels.

Therefore should I be setting the output 2 to copy L to R or Sum L/R in order to have it sound best on the mono speakers?
mono just means one signal.

you're technically sending just one signal to each of the Out 2 outputs. if only the delays are stereo in your signal, it just means FOH is getting a different delay than your FR speaker. even if those 2 separate signals have some interplay when in a proper stereo listening setup, they probably sound fine "alone" to each destination.

i do this for my main output. it's always set to stereo and for a stereo setup, it sounds great. for a mono setup, i just send one side to the destination and it sounds great.

the main issue you'll have is with panning effects, like an auto-pan left/right. if you send only the left source to a mono destination, when it pans to the right... there is no right so it will go silent for a moment acting more like a tremolo than a panner.

or if you hard pan clean to the left and high gain to the right in that setup, you'll only ever hear clean since there is no right side signal for the high gain.

with most other effects in stereo, it should sound ok, just not stereo.

mono just means one signal.

you're technically sending just one signal to each of the Out 2 outputs. if only the delays are stereo in your signal, it just means FOH is getting a different delay than your FR speaker. even if those 2 separate signals have some interplay when in a proper stereo listening setup, they probably sound fine "alone" to each destination.

i do this for my main output. it's always set to stereo and for a stereo setup, it sounds great. for a mono setup, i just send one side to the destination and it sounds great.

the main issue you'll have is with panning effects, like an auto-pan left/right. if you send only the left source to a mono destination, when it pans to the right... there is no right so it will go silent for a moment acting more like a tremolo than a panner.

or if you hard pan clean to the left and high gain to the right in that setup, you'll only ever hear clean since there is no right side signal for the high gain.

with most other effects in stereo, it should sound ok, just not stereo.
My stereo delay sounds like crap when I plug only the right channel in and test it. So there’s definitely a difference. Sounds a lot better when I copy left to right. At least I get the consistent sound I have on the left side.

The wiki has a great writeup on stereo vs mono.

Long story short, the are pros and cons to Copy Left vs Sum.

I would definitely avoid "Sum L/R" unless you're confident your preset isn't introducing phase cancellation in any way when you turn on an effect. The biggest culprit being the 2290 delay. Phase cancellation can thin out your tone etc.

If you have enough DSP in your preset you can send two different sets of time based effects to each output. Stereo in your ears. Mono delays to FOH out of one Copy L/R

Reactions: Rex
My stereo delay sounds like crap when I plug only the right channel in and test it. So there’s definitely a difference. Sounds a lot better when I copy left to right. At least I get the consistent sound I have on the left side.
That’s weird. I’d love to get that preset and hear it, why the right side alone sounds bad.

Back
Top Bottom