Help SeeD :)

SeeD

Fractal Fanatic
Hi you metall/rock dudes

I had superior drummer 2.0 a few years ago... been using Steven Slate Drums the last 4 years.. But no longer (fed up) !

I need something more stabile.. so i installed SD 2.0 again.. and now i need some tips on EZX packs.. and maby some preset packs ???

I think i would like to use "presets" the ones on the toontrack site sounds good to me. To keep it simple ;)

I got in the cart now...

Made of Metal EZX (seems good)
Metalheads EZX (seems like you get just some things in this pack)

Preset pack...
Metalheads Presets - Toontrack

If i go for The Metal Foundry SDX also (seems full of samples) And i get control over "bleed" on things

Help a brother out ???

I tend to put Frankenstein kits together based on the EZX packs. For example; the toms in Rock Solid are amazing, but to me the snares/kicks are a bit thin. The big crack snare from Metal! is great, but the floor toms are distorted on the actual sample itself making them unusable (weird right? how did that pass QC?).

I personally find Metal Head and Metal Foundry to be thin and hard to work with for my taste. Metal Machine and Metal! are a great combo of sounds! Made of Metal is also really nice. I also used to use SSD4.0 (still really like CLA pack) but I like having SD because it allows me to tweak stuff inside the interface so I dont need to print drum stems to make a finished sounding kit.

PS Ill totally share my presets with you, you just need a bunch of different packs to make them work unfortunately.

I really like the stock drum packs. On SD2 I used Avatar 90% of the time. That NirZ snare is pretty damn epic. Now that I'm on EZD2 I'm once again using the default kit with the Gretsch shells. I think I'm using a brass snare with that one. Not sure if that's much help but I do own some of those EZX packs also but I simply get better sounds out of the default kits.

That being said I'm really GASing for the CLA pack, David Bendeth pack and Terry Date pack. I've heard some awesome sound clips. Still I'm kind of hesitant to buy any more packs if I'll still end up using the default SD2/EZD2 kits. :)

I really like the stock drum packs. On SD2 I used Avatar 90% of the time. That NirZ snare is pretty damn epic. Now that I'm on EZD2 I'm once again using the default kit with the Gretsch shells. I think I'm using a brass snare with that one. Not sure if that's much help but I do own some of those EZX packs also but I simply get better sounds out of the default kits.

That being said I'm really GASing for the CLA pack, David Bendeth pack and Terry Date pack. I've heard some awesome sound clips. Still I'm kind of hesitant to buy any more packs if I'll still end up using the default SD2/EZD2 kits. :)

I got TD and CLA and ..i just get confused.. with the midi mapping.. in SSD4. It`s a mess

I got EZdrummer 2 too. Sounds Okey

I tend to put Frankenstein kits together based on the EZX packs. For example; the toms in Rock Solid are amazing, but to me the snares/kicks are a bit thin. The big crack snare from Metal! is great, but the floor toms are distorted on the actual sample itself making them unusable (weird right? how did that pass QC?).

I personally find Metal Head and Metal Foundry to be thin and hard to work with for my taste. Metal Machine and Metal! are a great combo of sounds! Made of Metal is also really nice. I also used to use SSD4.0 (still really like CLA pack) but I like having SD because it allows me to tweak stuff inside the interface so I dont need to print drum stems to make a finished sounding kit.

PS Ill totally share my presets with you, you just need a bunch of different packs to make them work unfortunately.

Kudos on the sharing part

so,if i get

Rock Solid EZX (i listen to the samples now.. sounds huge! )
Metal! EZX
Metal Machine EZX

will some of your presets be good ??

Last edited:

My own personal opinion, stay away from the BenDETH pack. I got burned on that one...

Kudos on the sharing part

so,if i get

Rock Solid EZX (i listen to the samples now.. sounds huge! )
Metal! EZX
Metal Machine EZX

will some of your presets be good ??

Yeah you should be! And the Avatar kit but that comes with SD2 so you should be good to go. Ill check for sure when I get home later and let you know. Its the kit I used in my signature and on my latest track which you can check out

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/103131-here-some-heavy-music.html

The best EZXs all around for Metal are IMO easily the new Made of Metal (Colin Richardson) and the Metal Machine (Andy Sneap). If you want more control there's also the Metal Machinery SDX that gives you the raw samples from the Sneap sessions. I own all the other ones and honestly they have some bits and pieces that I like but if I could only get one or two it would be one of those, they have the most usable pieces and consistency of awesome tones across the board.

I got TD and CLA and ..i just get confused.. with the midi mapping.. in SSD4. It`s a mess

I got EZdrummer 2 too. Sounds Okey

Hey SeeD,

I love Steven Slate Drums Plat 4, but I sure know what you mean about the midi mapping - I find myself just going and using EZDrummer 2 instead. Sad really, because the Slate drums sound really good and plenty of indiv editing is possible.

Too bad really.

Okey. I was thinking of a template in cubase ;)

But now i have the packs in my computer. Sounds good. Love to check out your prestes.
Thanks for all the good info

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgkh5pkt9qooam7/ToolFanEM Metal-Rock Kit.s20?dl=0

Okay, here it is. I use a slightly different mapping than most people I think so here is some info.

Kicks: C1 (right), B0 (left). I use this for double kick parts. One kick is tuned the finest bit higher than the other so its not total machine gun.
Snare: E1 (hard rimshot), D1 (middle snare)
Toms: C2 (High Tom), A1 (Mid Tom), G1 (Floor Tom)
Cymbals: C#2 - B2

Heres how it sounds, no post processing.

Last edited:
Hey SeeD,

I love Steven Slate Drums Plat 4, but I sure know what you mean about the midi mapping - I find myself just going and using EZDrummer 2 instead. Sad really, because the Slate drums sound really good and plenty of indiv editing is possible.

Too bad really.

Good for us,we have toontrack ;)
I hope Slate drums get better with the upcoming SSD5. But i think i would have a hard time getting back to SSD.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgkh5pkt9qooam7/ToolFanEM Metal-Rock Kit.s20?dl=0

Okay, here it is. I use a slightly different mapping than most people I think so here is some info.

Kicks: C1 (right), B0 (left). I use this for double kick parts. One kick is tuned the finest bit higher than the other so its not total machine gun.
Snare: E1 (hard rimshot), D1 (middle snare)
Toms: C2 (High Tom), A1 (Mid Tom), G1 (Floor Tom)
Cymbals: C#2 - B2

Heres how it sounds, no post processing.

Sweet ;) Thanks

But ... midi mapping.. lol. I will get it to work. Thanks for giving me good info,you are a kind guy

Hmm,i seem to have some missing sample...
I will try it tomorow. It`s late here now.

I might have some more questions for you later :)

I hope to get this to work ;)

Last edited:
Sweet ;) Thanks

But ... midi mapping.. lol. I will get it to work. Thanks for giving me good info,you are a kind guy

Hmm,i seem to have some missing sample...
I will try it tomorow. It`s late here now.

I might have some more questions for you later :)

I hope to get this to work ;)

Haha well I gotta make u work for it! Nah jk. I'll see if I can adjust the mapping to meet the standard mapping. Sympathize with me, I'm an SSD convert!

Back
Top Bottom