Help me with phantom-power Liquid Foot Jr+ setup

Skyze

Inspired
So I finally received my Liquid Foot Jr+, and I have an Ultra that will soon be upgraded to the II.. but I've been reading online so many issues with the II being burnt out by the Liquid Foot + series. I want to make sure that does not happen obviously. (Im not sure if the JR+ may be different than the normal +???)

From my understanding of how the Axe-FX phantom-power works, you have to plug the normal power adapter (from the controller) into the back of the Axe-FX, near the MIDI input, then you can use a 7 pin cable normally. Is this correct?

I was looking at getting the Rocktron 5 pin to 7 pin adapter cable, so I could just run one cable from the back of my rack to the LFJ+ on the floor. Thats my ultimate goal; one cable from the rack to the LFJ+.

What exactly do I need to do, to achieve that goal and more importantly, SAFELY achieve that goal?? Is the Rocktron 5 pin to 7 pin cable a good one to use??

So I finally received my Liquid Foot Jr+, and I have an Ultra that will soon be upgraded to the II.. but I've been reading online so many issues with the II being burnt out by the Liquid Foot + series. I want to make sure that does not happen obviously. (Im not sure if the JR+ may be different than the normal +???)

From my understanding of how the Axe-FX phantom-power works, you have to plug the normal power adapter (from the controller) into the back of the Axe-FX, near the MIDI input, then you can use a 7 pin cable normally. Is this correct?

I was looking at getting the Rocktron 5 pin to 7 pin adapter cable, so I could just run one cable from the back of my rack to the LFJ+ on the floor. Thats my ultimate goal; one cable from the rack to the LFJ+.

What exactly do I need to do, to achieve that goal and more importantly, SAFELY achieve that goal?? Is the Rocktron 5 pin to 7 pin cable a good one to use??

The LF + is rated 1000ma, which is the maximum that the phantom power on the Axe FX II supports. I haven't read of numerous issues of phantom power being burnt out. As long as the unit using phantom does not exceed the stated 1000ma maximum you should be ok.

The power supply that will fit directly into the LF + for it to fit the phantom power jack in the back of the Axe FX it needs an adapter which you should ask FAMC to supply. Basically it is a gender converter.

I have not tried the Rocktron cable mentioned but have heard it may not be as reliable as would be preferred, Bestronics offer a 7 pin cable. Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: FAS02-XX

I found the Rocktron 7-pin midi cable to be unreliable. I'd also go with Bestronics.

I have a little box from FMAC that has two midi connectors and a power jack. I use that instead of going through the AxeII Phantom Power jack. Use a short midi cable to go from the box to the AxeII midi in. A longer 7-pin cable to go to the liquid foot. Plug the Liquid Foot power adapter into the box to provide the power over the 7-pin midi cable to the LF+.

Mine never exceeded 1000ma and mine burnt out and ruined 3 wall warts (refute if you will, I saw it happen). I eventually hardwired power into my 7 pin cable, so it's never an issue again. BTW: I have a liquid foot pro (older version).

I found the Rocktron 7-pin midi cable to be unreliable. I'd also go with Bestronics.

I have a little box from FMAC that has two midi connectors and a power jack. I use that instead of going through the AxeII Phantom Power jack. Use a short midi cable to go from the box to the AxeII midi in. A longer 7-pin cable to go to the liquid foot. Plug the Liquid Foot power adapter into the box to provide the power over the 7-pin midi cable to the LF+.

how much did that box cost you?? Obviously the liquids are pricy as is, hoping not to spend too much more.

I know the rocktron cable may be unreliable, but will it burn out the axe or is it safe?

The Rocktron 7 pin only uses 5 pins. It won't work correctly.

What I did was buy some bulk 7pin midi cable from Bestronics and some ends (one 7 pin midi and one 7pin xlr locking for my panel). Put ends on there, and the end by the axe a little plug that lets me plug in the wall wart. Java is correct on the Rocktron.

I have an LF+12 and Axe FX II. No problems. Buy the LF and buy their adaptor plug converter. Use a 7-pin to 7-pin MIDI cable with all 7 pins connected. Do not exceed a cable length of 30 feet or you risk under supplying the LF pedal due to OHM's Law of Resistance. If you need to be further than 30 feet from your rack, you will need to plug the power supply directly into the LF pedal, and you can then use a standard 5 pin midi cable, and run it hundreds of feet if need be.

Liquid foot 7-pin midi cable to Axe FX 2 - YouTube

My Fractal Audio Axe FX II and Liquid Foot LF+12 guitar rack - YouTube

Good luck.

how much did that box cost you?? Obviously the liquids are pricy as is, hoping not to spend too much more.

It looks like they are only $19.99. On the Liquid Foot orders page, there is an option for the "Custom Phantom Power Box"

It looks like they are only $19.99. On the Liquid Foot orders page, there is an option for the "Custom Phantom Power Box"

I sent an email to LF, hopefully I can buy just that box, that'd be perfect for what I need.

Is there anyone else who sells something like that for under $50?? Or anyone who makes custom products like that affordably?

Anyone ever hijack power from the RJ45-jack? I think it's DC, but the LF+ series will accept either polarity and DC or AC, so it shouldn't matter.

I asked fractal about this a year or so ago, and they didn't give me any info or recommend it. But to me it makes sense; the MFC-101 needs power too, and it has to come from the RJ45 jack, so why not just route that into the phantom power input and save myself a wall wart?

That would be cool if there were an easy way to do it. I would definitely like to loose the wall wart. Maybe we'll have to throw that question to Jeff at FMAC.

Not sure if FAMC would be willing to help out here... Fractal gave me the impression that they did not recommend this.

But to my mind, it's a simple matter of finding where the power is coming out of the RJ45 port and piping that into the phantom power jack. Maybe fractal just doesn't want the liability of a DIY solution.

I suppose it's also possible that there is some fancy enable on the RJ45 port that only turns the power on with the MFC connected....

OTOH, the latest wall-warts from FAMC are these super tiny 1A switching supplies that don't have a transformer in them, so they're really light and small. Not worth it for me to try and get around it anymore. ;-)

Agree with you on the small power supplies - definitely an improvement over the large transformers. Although I would like to have a second one for piece of mind. With the small size, they just seem a bit fragile an I'm always thinking I'm going to break mine at the most inopportune time...

Not sure if FAMC would be willing to help out here... Fractal gave me the impression that they did not recommend this.

But to my mind, it's a simple matter of finding where the power is coming out of the RJ45 port and piping that into the phantom power jack. Maybe fractal just doesn't want the liability of a DIY solution.

I suppose it's also possible that there is some fancy enable on the RJ45 port that only turns the power on with the MFC connected....

OTOH, the latest wall-warts from FAMC are these super tiny 1A switching supplies that don't have a transformer in them, so they're really light and small. Not worth it for me to try and get around it anymore. ;-)

I'd have to dig it up, but take my word for it that Cliff himself said not to try doing this.

Not to say you might not be able to make it happen. You'd just be totally on your own if anything went wrong.

Back
Top Bottom