FM9 Help Me Choose which tone?

stm113

Power User
Hi All, I am on the struggle bus with this. I am working on an original music project and cannot decide which way to go with the tones. The style of the music is 80's Sabbath/Priest. So of course I need a thick tone and I have been struggling with getting where I think I want to get with my FM9 so I decided to do a little test. I made a clip of one of the songs (this mix is in NO WAY close to being done, everything needs to be edited, there are no BGV's yet etc) I included rough drums, bass & vox for context. I reamped 1 track with my FM9 and 2 using plugin sims and I am not sure which really sounds best. This is not a "can you spot the sim" thing and the only reason I am not including which is which is for a better "blind listen". I used the York Audio Blackback Mix 3 IR for each and used the most comprable model but was not trying to dial them to sound the same, just dialed each one as if it were the one I was going to use. Its obvous where the switch bettwens are, the clip repeats the section with the guitars solo'd. I am really curious to know which the community thinks sounds more right for this.

Last edited:
Hi All, I am on the struggle bus with this. I am working on an original music project and cannot decide which way to go with the tones. The style of the music is 80's Sabbath/Priest. So of course I need a thick tone and I have been struggling with getting where I think I want to get with my FM9 so I decided to do a little test. I made a clip of one of the songs (this mix is in NO WAY close to being done, everything needs to be edited, there are no BGV's yet etc) I included rough drums, bass & vox for context. I reamped 1 track with my FM9 and 2 using plugin sims and I am not sure which really sounds best. This is not a "can you spot the sim" thing and the only reason I am not including which is which is for a better "blind listen". I used the York Audio Blackback Mix 3 IR for each and used the most comprable model but was not trying to dial them to sound the same, just dialed each one as if it were the one I was going to use. Its obvous where the switch bettwens are, the clip repeats the section with the guitars solo'd. I am really curious to know which the community thinks sounds more right for this.

It was suggested I give times where the changes happen so
For the section with drums, bass. vox

0:00-1
0:08-2
0:13-3
0:19-1
0:21-2
0:23-3
0:25-1
0:30-2
0:35-3

I like #1. I was a studio engineer for the first half of my life, and all the others had some energy that would need to be dialed out a bit in the mix. #3 almost felt like the phase was off a touch. Maybe a widening plug-in or something. Remember, much of that thickness is Geezer.

For what it’s worth #1 is STL AmpHub if I recall. The FM9 may be #3, or it’s the Helix. I’ll have to go back and look at the session if I haven’t deleted it.

Back
Top Bottom